• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Create an official link to APotD

User Info: The_Mighty_KELP

The_Mighty_KELP
2 weeks ago#1
I created a very lengthy thread that covers the history, planning, motivation, and everything else behind this suggestion, here:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/10-ask-the-mods/78365342
if you have no prior knowledge of what I'm talking about re: this suggestion, I recommend reading that thread. It will make much more sense that way. However, I will summarize the main points here.

What's the suggestion?
This petition is for GameFAQs to add a permanent link to the Actual Poll of the Day board in either one, or both, of the following locations:
  1. Below the link to the Poll of the Day board that is located beneath the poll results
  2. In a stickied, closed thread on the Poll of the Day board
Here is a link to the Actual Poll of the Day board:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1324-actual-poll-of-the-day-board

The reasons for doing this:
1. One of the best reasons was given by a lead moderator in a post I created on PotD, advertising APotD:
It's another GameFAQs board, we're not going to stop you from sharing and linking to other boards on our own site. We WANT you guys to enjoy the site and find other boards you're interested in.
2. GameFAQs, like any other site, wants traffic. Having a permanent link would make it easier for people who want to talk about a front-page GameFAQs feature find the board that's dedicated to exactly that, thereby garnering traffic from users who may not have otherwise visited the site.
3. Many of the people who already visit APotD told me that they found the board from one of the threads I made on PotD. This shows the viability of a link in a stickied thread on that board.

Why should this be done?
As explained in the thread I linked at the beginning of this post, there is historical precedence in two different ways:
  1. The Top 10 lists, a front-page GameFAQs feature, did not always have its own dedicated board. Prior to its creation, discussion over that feature was held on a board for an old, obscure game - essentially, a community board, in that it was non-topical. A petition was created to make an official site board to discuss the feature, and the Top 10 Lists board was implemented.
  2. The official site board for the PlayStation 4 did not have a separate forum for the specific discussion of PlayStation Virtual Reality. Someone created a community board for this, and a sticky was created on the PS4 board with a permanent link to the PSVR board.
In the former case, it's not quite the same situation - there, discussion was held on a community board (sort of), and an official, topicality-enforced board was created. Here, there's already an official site board, but it's not topicality-enforced; the community board is. I think the precedence still stands if you see that in both cases, discussion of a front-page feature was held on a non-topical board, and a petition was created to create a link (in the Top 10 case, a link and a new board; in this case, just a link) to a topical board.

If you compare the PSVR board and the APotD board, there's much more similarity. Both community boards were created to give users a place to discuss a specific subset of the topics covered on the "parent" board, so they wouldn't have to wade through everything else. Both boards have been quite successful. The interesting thing here, to me at least, is that even though the two boards were created at about the same time, APotD has had significantly more traffic. PSVR has 6.58K messages archived; APotD has 24.3K - and yet the more popular board doesn't have the same easily-findable link from the PS4 board.

If a link or two is added, what do you envision this looking like?
Currently, the link to PotD below the poll results looks like this:
Discuss today's poll and previous polls on the Poll of the Day Message Board.

If a link to APotD was added below this, I think that the wording of the links should be changed:
Discuss today's poll, or anything else, on the Poll of the Day Social Message Board.
Discuss today's poll and previous polls on the topicality-enforced Actual Poll of the Day Board.

If a link was created in a stickied thread on the PotD board, I'd like it to be locked, so it doesn't become flooded by the toxic comments that typify that board. Its wording should be something like:
You are currently visiting the GameFAQs Poll of the Day board. This is a social board, where discussion about anything and everything is permitted (within the TOS). If you would like to visit a board where discussion of the GameFAQs poll of the day is the only thing allowed, visit the Actual Poll of the Day board:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1324-actual-poll-of-the-day-board

Additionally - I'd prefer this not to be the case, but if this is the only way that the link(s) will be approved, then I'm willing to make this concession - I'm willing to have a stickied link to the PotD board on APotD, so that users may link back and forth between them. The wording of that post will be virtually identical to the one I just exampled, but in reverse.

All wording subject to admin approval and change, of course.

Anything else?
Yes: if you're a regular of PotD, please don't take offense at anything I've said, and please don't anti-sign this petition out of spite. I don't have anything personally against PotD, its social board status, or its regulars. If a stickied link is created on your board, it will not affect you. The changes suggested in this petition would be for the benefit of other people.
Link to the Actual GameFAQs Poll of the Day Board: https://tinyurl.com/actualpoll
Discuss the poll of the day! Topicality is enforced.

User Info: paul_matthias

paul_matthias
2 weeks ago#2
Signed in support.
"You gave to me all I know. I will stay here, I will not go" - Shuffle, Bombay Bicycle Club

User Info: Emi3280

Emi3280
2 weeks ago#3
*signs*
Switch FC: SW-2774-1787-6198 // PSN: MrLoneWanderer
"The two most important days in life are the day you are born and the day you find out why."

User Info: coreekymon

coreekymon
2 weeks ago#4
Signs
Favorite games of the Decade: 1. Xenoblade Chronicles X, 2. Kingdom Hearts III, 3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 4. Xenoblade Chronicles 2, 5. Nier: Automata

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
2 weeks ago#5
I'm not sure how this would be achieved. The site has already exhibited displeasure at the ideas of having a user-run community board be "official," and I think also at having a sticky on PotD directing to APotD (though I might be misremembering). I only can really see this happening if the site admins take over control of APotD, or construct a proper board of their own, at this point - I'm not sure if there is some middle ground between both sides.

That said, I like at least the spirit of the suggestion since the culture on PotD is not conducive to discussing the actual poll, when that is ironically what the site directs you there to do. So I'd like some proper board for discussing it in that sense.

*signs*
My Social Server, Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/emd
My PMD Rescue Server: https://discord.gg/E57gMQq

User Info: RedeemedSiren

RedeemedSiren
2 weeks ago#6
*sign*
"You see it, too? For me, it's always like this." --Angela Orosco, Silent Hill 2

User Info: -hotdogturtle--

-hotdogturtle--
2 weeks ago#7
*sign before this gets locked like all the other ones*
Hey man, LlamaGuy did encrypt the passwords.
With what? ROT-13? -CJayC

User Info: The_Mighty_KELP

The_Mighty_KELP
2 weeks ago#8
Eevee-Trainer posted...
I'm not sure how this would be achieved. The site has already exhibited displeasure at the ideas of having a user-run community board be "official," and I think also at having a sticky on PotD directing to APotD (though I might be misremembering). I only can really see this happening if the site admins take over control of APotD, or construct a proper board of their own, at this point - I'm not sure if there is some middle ground between both sides.
You're partially right. See the thread I created on Ask the Mods, linked in the first post up there; I went over the history fairly exhaustively.

As for site admins taking over APotD - I don't think they did that for the PSVR community board which has a stickied link. But I'm unsure, so I've sent a PM to the creator of that board to ask about that. If it turns out that site admins took over PSVR as a condition of the link, which I don't think is the case but might be, then... I'll have to think about that. I might be willing to let that happen to APotD in order to implement it more fully as an official board, I might not. I'll have to think about it.

The main catching point would not be that it'd no longer be "my board," but that I'd be concerned about how strictly the site staff would keep it on-topic. Currently, the board is a very pleasant, focused place, and I don't want that to change. If the links are implemented, there's no doubt in my mind that the board will quickly face an influx of off-topic spam, which KJ and I would be able to deal with promptly.

Perhaps a middle ground would be that a site admin is made the Owner of the board, while KJ and I are retained as board Leaders.

But this is all hypothetical, and there are a lot of unknowns, so let's leave it there for now. Let's see if the petition garners enough support to warrant me submitting a feedback ticket, as outlined in this board's FAQ thread:
After all this, if you create a petition according to these guidelines, and it gains a large amount of popular support (Consider over 100 signatures and less than 5-10% anti signs a baseline minimum for establishing popular interest here), then feel free to submit the suggestion to the administration via the following feedback ticket.
Link to the Actual GameFAQs Poll of the Day Board: https://tinyurl.com/actualpoll
Discuss the poll of the day! Topicality is enforced.

User Info: Miasma

Miasma
2 weeks ago#9
*signs*

User Info: Beato_dim

Beato_dim
2 weeks ago#10
*sign*
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Create an official link to APotD
  • Post New Message