• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. This site should make it so you can block a user by just clicking on their name.

User Info: Lyrica

Lyrica
10 months ago#41
stahlbaum posted...
Users continued to want this feature despite the drawbacks so the administration decided to go for it.
So what is being done about the drawbacks then? The block feature is easily abused. If someone does not like your opinion and blocks you, it prevents you from further participating in the topic and engaging in discussion with others.

User Info: lunamoon7

lunamoon7
10 months ago#42
Lyrica posted...
So what is being done about the drawbacks then? The block feature is easily abused. If someone does not like your opinion and blocks you, it prevents you from further participating in the topic and engaging in discussion with others.
Personally i do not even know why even Hide Posts that people Post on a Public Place from a Blocked Account when all a person has to do to view said Posts is to simply Log Off from the Blocked Account... :/

You do not even need an Alt... Just going Anon Mode is enough most of the Time... :o This is not even just about GameFaqs but even Facebook and Twitter do this... :/ Reddit is right in not hidding Public Posts from people...
Hehehe... I'm coming for you!

User Info: stahlbaum

stahlbaum
10 months ago#43
Lyrica posted...

Where do you get the "with others". Only the person who blocked you wouldn't be engaging in your discussion. I'm not sure how the feature is being easily abused when it's doing it's intended function. If someone blocks you, you won't engage with them, they won't engage with you. Not seeing how that's an issue.

lunamoon7
10 months ago#44
stahlbaum posted...
Where do you get the "with others". Only the person who blocked you wouldn't be engaging in your discussion. I'm not sure how the feature is being easily abused when it's doing it's intended function. If someone blocks you, you won't engage with them, they won't engage with you. Not seeing how that's an issue.
It can be used to kick someone out of a Conversation if the person was already Posting on the Topic before being Blocked by the Creator of the Topic not allowing them to Reply anymore etc...

Lyrica
10 months ago#45
lunamoon7 posted...
It can be used to kick someone out of a Conversation if the person was already Posting on the Topic before being Blocked by the Creator of the Topic not allowing them to Reply anymore etc...
This.

When someone blocks you, it locks you out of their topic and prevents you from further participating in discussion in the topic (and then you won't even see any other topics they create).

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_image/5/9/7/AAbyL3AAA6ft.jpg

This is really anti-user. I understand the intended purpose of the block feature, but I believe the ignore feature already worked well to combat trolls. The problem is that people sometimes use the block feature to silence differing opinions and prevent you from further posting. You can't even reply to others.

User Info: stahlbaum

stahlbaum
10 months ago#46
So the concern seems to be when a topic creator blocks someone?

The function is still serving it's purpose. This isn't an abuse of feature. Not liking that this is just taking issue with the block feature as a whole.

lunamoon7
10 months ago#47
stahlbaum posted...

The function is still serving it's purpose. This isn't an abuse of feature. Not liking that this is just taking issue with the block feature as a whole.
Yeah it would be Nice if we could at the very least not be kicked out of a Topic we were already posting in...

Lyrica
10 months ago#48
stahlbaum posted...

I do have an issue with the block feature as a whole, because I don't think it's a necessary feature for a forum like this. It actually goes against the whole purpose — discussion. But the main drawback is that it gives users the power to censor what other users see on the boards and prevent them from participating in topics created by the blocker for any reason he or she chooses.

I think the block feature would be better suited as something the mods approve (similar to the report function) once trolling or harassment is proven, so that it's actually used for its intended purpose. But in all honesty, it's something that should have never been implemented. That's just my 2 cents.

Thanks for listening!

(edited 10 months ago)

lunamoon7
10 months ago#49
Lyrica posted...
I do have an issue with the block feature as a whole, because I don't think it's a necessary feature for a forum like this. It actually goes against the whole purpose — discussion. But the main drawback is that it gives users the power to censor what other users see on the boards and prevent them from participating in topics created by the blocker for any reason he or she chooses.

I think the block feature would be better suited as something the mods approve (similar to the report function) once trolling or harassment is proven, so that it's actually used for its intended purpose. But in all honesty, it's something that should have never been implemented. That's just my 2 cents.

Thanks for listening!
100% agree!

User Info: Splatterhouse5

Splatterhouse5
10 months ago#50
Concerning the suggestion to just log off to view posts, that won't work on boards that require particular user levels, since you can't access them without your account.

As far as abuse is concerned, that a user can preemptively control what others see allows a number of avenues. Let's say I block stahlbaum now and then post "stahlbaum sent my hamster vile sexual texts and got fired from his job for drinking so much gamer juice he pissed on the floor! He's too ashamed to even try to defend himself." To other users that would indeed seem the case, since they wouldn't know I was blocking him and he wouldn't know what was being said (I used deliberately ridiculous claims, but I'm sure you see how an abuser could spin defamation with enough apparent credibility that it'd spread without rebuttal). You could even dox someone with them being none the wiser.
Police abolition: the fascist's fear.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. This site should make it so you can block a user by just clicking on their name.
  • Post New Message