• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. There needs to be an auto-block feature when you report someone's posts.

User Info: GreenKnight127

GreenKnight127
5 days ago#1
What's worse than trolls? The people who feed them.

When someone reports a post....they are given the opportunity to "Report and Ignore".

Think about how seldom that feature is actually used. Now think about how many problems it would fix/prevent if it was.

Gamefaqs got rid of their "zero tolerance policy on name-calling" recently, which is a bit troubling.

When people call each other names (particularly calling others "trolls" without any justification)....moderators simply say "add them to your ignore list".

You have to realize that a lot of people lack that kind of self-control. Self-restraint. Maturity.

They don't want to ignore alleged trolls. They want to engage with them. They love them. They are addicted to conflict, drama, strife. It's human nature.

I always like to imagine someone reporting a post.....and then grinning...taking a sip of their beverage...and intentionally not clicking the ignore option....because they have absolutely NO intention of ignoring this user. In fact, they might even tag the user and deliberately stalk them from that day on. Provoking them. Insulting them. Trying to tell other users this person is a troll and they should be ignored. Attempting to derail any topic they make. Passive-aggressively insulting them juuuuust enough to avoid moderation themselves, but just enough to annoy and incite the other person.

The alleged troll becomes the trolled.

It's a big problem on this site, particularly with popular multiplayer games and ESPECIALLY the Politics board (Dear God).

So since people lack the self-control to ignore someone they claim to be a troll who offends them so badly.....why can't Gamefaqs take the initiative and auto-block users that get reported by someone? It would be a win win situation.

Anyone who would OPPOSE such a feature....would be the types of people who feed trolls.

Because if they want to report a post but NOT ignore the person.....then that immediately tells you that the violation was less of a problem than that person's inability to ignore/block someone.

I guarantee if you implemented this system (or at least tried it out for a month or so) the toxicity of these message boards would dramatically decrease overnight. It would also be a lot less work for the moderators who need to check reported posts constantly. Since so many people would be getting ignored, there would be more peace.

Think about it.
Offensive (according to GameFaqs): sexually explicit, gory, or other obscene content.
Different opinions are not offensive unless they contain these elements.
(edited 5 days ago)

User Info: TimeSquid

TimeSquid
5 days ago#2
*mega-anti-sign*
This would lead to people knowing who reported them and cause all sorts of problems, increasing the toxicity of the site.
Leader Of The Scorbunny Squad And Cinderace Crew.

User Info: Mauron

Mauron
5 days ago#3
*anti-signs*

I don't want to have to clear my ignore/block list just because I reported someone.

GreenKnight127 posted...
Anyone who would OPPOSE such a feature....would be the types of people who feed trolls.
False.
A ladle, that thing that's halfway between a whisk and a frying pan. ~ Tomba42
http://maurtopia.com

GreenKnight127
5 days ago#4
TimeSquid posted...
*mega-anti-sign*
This would lead to people knowing who reported them and cause all sorts of problems, increasing the toxicity of the site.
If they are blocked, how would they know who reported them? They won't see the person's posts. Correct? And if they are butthurt that they are being ignored, and repeatedly try to trash the user or stalk them, that will result in harassment, easily moderated, and result in them getting banned or punished in other ways. And that's assuming other users don't step up and report/block their toxic ass in the first place.

Trolls adjust their behavior when their food source diminishes.

That food source being: attention.

People need to learn how to use the block/ignore feature, and stop feeding the trolls they claim to hate.
Offensive (according to GameFaqs): sexually explicit, gory, or other obscene content.
(edited 5 days ago)

GreenKnight127
5 days ago#5
Mauron posted...
I don't want to have to clear my ignore/block list just because I reported someone.

So why wouldn't you want to ignore someone you just reported for some violation? Particularly trolling?

Honest question.

User Info: Mauron

Mauron
5 days ago#6
  1. I prefer to not use the ignore system in general.
  2. Most of the time when I bother to report someone it's for offensive, and not always a particular habit of the poster.
  3. For those that do make a habit of posting dumb things, I prefer to tag them as a reminder of why I'm laughing at them.
A ladle, that thing that's halfway between a whisk and a frying pan. ~ Tomba42
http://maurtopia.com

User Info: Defeat_Unknown

Defeat_Unknown
5 days ago#7
GreenKnight127 posted...
I always like to imagine someone reporting a post.....and then grinning...taking a sip of their beverage...and intentionally not clicking the ignore option....because they have absolutely NO intention of ignoring this user. In fact, they might even tag the user and deliberately stalk them from that day on. Provoking them. Insulting them. Trying to tell other users this person is a troll and they should be ignored. Attempting to derail any topic they make. Passive-aggressively insulting them juuuuust enough to avoid moderation themselves, but just enough to annoy and incite the other person.

The alleged troll becomes the trolled.

I agree with this. I've noticed over the years that for many users, the marking system is a tool to troll without actively trolling on the boards.

I'll mega ultra sign, x infinity.

Mods often complain as well that they can't keep up with how many marks there are so this would also be a relief for them.
"If you can do one thing well, then you can do everything well."
*Some Gamefaqs Moderators encourage, enable and engage in harassment on this site.
(edited 5 days ago)

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
5 days ago#8
*anti-sign*

GreenKnight127 posted...
Because if they want to report a post but NOT ignore the person.....then that immediately tells you that the violation was less of a problem than that person's inability to ignore/block someone.

A single post is not enough to judge somebody by. They might be having a bad day, or they might be particularly invested in one kind of topic, or they might be having a bit of fun you yourself misinterpreted. A troll is somebody who habitually posts provocative and flamebait-y content. I reserve my ignore list to people I find bring no worthwhile content. If somebody posts a single message that I find myself reporting but otherwise is not posting against the TOS or disrupts the boards and so on...uh, why ignore them entirely?

We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

GreenKnight127
5 days ago#9
Mauron posted...
For those that do make a habit of posting dumb things, I prefer to tag them as a reminder of why I'm laughing at them.
So you choose to tag them so you can remember who they are. So you can gain entertainment from them, or remember why you aren't supposed to like them, etc. This is a very common practice, and I thank you for being honest about it. However....

...no offense, but this is exactly the kind of childish behavior an auto-block feature would remedy.

You can no longer stalk or be entertained by the person you are pretending to not like. They are gone from your life forever. 100% fixed.

GreenKnight127
5 days ago#10
vlado_e posted...
A single post is not enough to judge somebody by. They might be having a bad day, or they might be particularly invested in one kind of topic, or they might be having a bit of fun you yourself misinterpreted.

This is a very fair point, and I definitely considered that.

However. I have been using Gamefaqs for well over a decade. And I can tell you with 110% certainty....that there isn't a single person that I have reported a post from......who wasn't a repeat offender and/or just a generally toxic person whom I had no interest in seeing any more posts from.

Block/ignore, and they are no longer a problem for the rest of my time on Gamefaqs.

Trolling is the most common moderation given. If someone is trolling, there is no excuse to NOT ignore them.

"Maybe they're just having a bad day."

Unless you're the Dalai Lama, I don't think anyone is that sympathetic towards trolls.

Block/ignore, and move on with your life. There are thousands of other users you can interact with. The loss of one is no skin off your back.

Unless, of course, you REALLY relied on that individual for arguments, entertainment, and trolling purposes of your own, which is usually the case in all my observations. Whether people can be honest enough to say that out loud is another story.
(edited 5 days ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. There needs to be an auto-block feature when you report someone's posts.
  • Topic Closed