• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Can we get a notification anytime we get quoted?

User Info: The-Apostle

The-Apostle
1 month ago#61
TheReasoner1 posted...

I absolutely agree that it would not be good for people that post a lot. If its optional & off by default, it won't affect them.
*Sign* if and only if this option is included.
http://goo.gl/mnO36O
#GoPackGo Not changing sig until NHL players are allowed to play in the Olympics. Started 2/22/2018

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
1 month ago#62
MrMegaPhoenix posted...
like anything, it'd be an option and could be disabled if you dont like it, so it makes no sense to be against it

I have seen forums that use this and I also have seen the effect of it. Some people will only respond to quotes of themselves and will remain oblivious to the rest of the discussion that takes place. So, you often end up with a thread staring then devolving into several "threads" of just people quoting each other and re-treading what's already been discussed without bringing anything new to the table.

It's most annoying when you have to point out to those people stuff that's literally been posted next to one of their posts - before or after, yet they've not read because they weren't quoted in that message.

I prefer discussions actually being, you know, discussions. With notification on quote, people start talking past each other unless you pay the toll of quoting them to get their precious attention. Which is not much of a "discussion" - these people don't really participate if they have to be told what's already been discussed.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: MrMegaPhoenix

MrMegaPhoenix
1 month ago#63
vlado_e posted...

I have seen forums that use this and I also have seen the effect of it. Some people will only respond to quotes of themselves and will remain oblivious to the rest of the discussion that takes place. So, you often end up with a thread staring then devolving into several "threads" of just people quoting each other and re-treading what's already been discussed without bringing anything new to the table.

It's most annoying when you have to point out to those people stuff that's literally been posted next to one of their posts - before or after, yet they've not read because they weren't quoted in that message.

I prefer discussions actually being, you know, discussions. With notification on quote, people start talking past each other unless you pay the toll of quoting them to get their precious attention. Which is not much of a "discussion" - these people don't really participate if they have to be told what's already been discussed.

thats other forums though

on gamefaqs, even without this system, there are constant examples of the same few users quoting each other, people ignoring all replies just to quote one person, people bumping a near dead topic just to rehash discussed information

we already look for our names in quotes, so nothing would actually change besides making things easier for us to notice it. I mean, i've been posting here for 15 years and thats what ive been doing most of the time. skim down until i see if i have been quoted. if not, look at the last few posts and see if theres anything i want to add. Thats business as usual if they highlighted the quoting system since it doesnt change anything but make things easier

in that sense, its like putting a dot next to the page icon in your active message history. its just making it more obvious that something has occurred in the topic.
Switch ID: SW-8552-0090-1153
PS4 ID: Mr-Mega-Phoenix

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
1 month ago#64
I don't share your thinking that nothing would change. I've expressed my reasons for anti-signing and even if you find them insubstantial, I still stand by them.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: LRodC

LRodC
3 weeks ago#65
*signs*
Philadelphia Eagles
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Can we get a notification anytime we get quoted?
  • Post New Message