• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Can we please go back to the OLD way of how Youtube videos were displayed?

User Info: Oliver_Oliver

Oliver_Oliver
2 weeks ago#1
Can we please go back to the OLD way of how Youtube videos were displayed? - Results (12 votes)
Yes, I would like to go back to the old way Youtube videos were displayed.
83.33% (10 votes)
No, I actually like this new way of how Youtube videos are handled.
16.67% (2 votes)
You must be registered and logged in to vote in this poll.
So I just logged into Gamefaqs and the way Youtube videos are displayed has radically changed and I don't like the changes at all.
BEFORE, you would post a Youtube video link and the thumbnail would embed and if you wanted to click on it you could just manually click on it if you wanted to. I liked that as it allowed you to see what the video was (due to the thumbnail being visible) and it didn't just start automatically.

NOW, if there are multiple videos in one topic, the FIRST video just starts AUTOMATICALLY (this can be a disaster for several reasons) and if there are additional videos in the same topic page, you can NOT see the thumbnails for the other videos and are blind to them and won't be able to see them till you click on them.

I do NOT like this new way at all and I would greatly prefer that the OLD way would return and would remain the DEFAULT way for everyone (if you like the new way, keep it as an option, but the OLD way should be kept as the default / the standard for everyone for several reasons).

For those of you unfamiliar with the new way, here is a sample (see how ANNOYING this new format of displaying Youtube videos on this site is now?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWA8iuNBw-U

and then if I post a few more videos, all you see is a link and NO thumbnail and you have to click on expand.
Just a sample (I have a topic with music videos in each thread and instead of seeing the thumbnails of each music video, I see this):

Really awesome music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IydWoyZ7Ew

Another really awesome music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJWJE0x7T4Q

No thumbnails for the music videos, but that first video of the president talking starts up automatically... NOT fun when I have another tab open which I'm using to listen to music while using Gamefaqs. Meanwhile, for topics like music video topics where people post music videos per each post, seeing the thumbnails is a mandatory thing for a topic like that to survive. Also, videos starting up automatically is a disaster for SEVERAL reasons, as we as not being able to see the thumbnail of what I am clicking on for additional videos is a disaster for SEVERAL reasons as well.
Confidence? It's nothing but an illusion.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
2 weeks ago#2
Oliver_Oliver posted...
the FIRST video just starts AUTOMATICALLY

It doesn't for me. The first video is expanded but doesn't start.

However, I don't like that expanding a video auto-plays it - I may want to just see what it is without playing it.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: Oliver_Oliver

Oliver_Oliver
2 weeks ago#3
vlado_e posted...
Oliver_Oliver posted...

However, I don't like that expanding a video auto-plays it - I may want to just see what it is without playing it.

@vlado_e

Good news is that they just changed it so now the first video no longer auto-plays (thank god!!)
Bad news is that the rest of the videos are still NOT showing their thumbnails. Hopefully they change that so the rest of the videos show their thumbnails (the last thing me and most people want to do is click on a Youtube link without a thumbnail since trolls could say it's one type of video but it leads to something else more notorious on Youtube. Plus, I like to see what I'm clicking on BEFORE I click on something, even if it's a normal video).
Confidence? It's nothing but an illusion.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: MajinUltima

MajinUltima
2 weeks ago#4
Oliver_Oliver posted...
Plus, I like to see what I'm clicking on BEFORE I click on something

--Indeed. People are too eager to shove their noisy autoplay crap into every facet of the internet.
http://i.imgur.com/mYFkgcb.gifv

User Info: SavageGlum100

SavageGlum100
2 weeks ago#5
If you go to settings and click on "show all media and links and ALWAYS show them", it makes all the Youtube video thumbnails visible. However, that's NOT the default and you have to go into settings to fix that. Personally, they should make "ALWAYS show them" the default since a lot of people don't know about the different options in the settings and not having all the thumbnails visible by default could lead to a lot of different problems. In other words: they should go back to making all thumbnails visible by default.

User Info: TheReasoner1

TheReasoner1
2 weeks ago#6
vlado_e posted...
Oliver_Oliver posted...

Same here, on both counts.

The auto-playing might be because of your browser settings, TC.
keep on chooglin'

User Info: SavageGlum100

SavageGlum100
2 weeks ago#7
TheReasoner1 posted...
vlado_e posted...
Oliver_Oliver posted...

Same here, on both counts.

The auto-playing might be because of your browser settings, TC.

@TheReasoner1

The auto-playing was happening this morning for everyone. Someone in charge of Gamefaqs changed that so now it's not auto-playing anymore. See posts # 3 and # 5 for more details.

User Info: TheReasoner1

TheReasoner1
2 weeks ago#8
oh ok
keep on chooglin'
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Can we please go back to the OLD way of how Youtube videos were displayed?
  • Topic Closed