• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Poll topics should be bumped every 5 votes.

User Info: HappyGuy

HappyGuy
4 weeks ago#11
MorbidEngel posted...
That's a terrible argument. This is further less a good idea when you can't say why it would be good in the face of criticism, and resort to saying "but posting needs constant moderation too!".

Either try to say why this would be worth it in the face of criticism or, well, I can tell you that with your approach this won't go anywhere.

I already stated in the OP why.

Polls don’t elicit conversation by their very nature as most people will click a button and not post. That vote is their contribution in lieu of conversation. It’s short sighted to say “if it’s a great poll then and worth being on the board then people will post” because their “post” is their vote. As a result of that nature the topics tend to sink, even if there’s active voting.

So, if there’s active voting then 5(or however many) votes should hold the same power as one post. A vote should hold similar weight in contribution to a topic as posting a comment.

As for my argument regarding moderation, it’s perfectly fair. “But then the mods will have to work to keep the boards in check” isn’t a valid rebuke because their job is to keep the boards in check. If someone is linking a topic to get their friends to vote then the topic is drawing attention. If someone has a dozen alts and is manipulating the vote then perhaps the mods should handle that as they would any other type of disruptive posting.
A Mod/Admin said on 4/2/2018 8:47:55 PM:
Please do not call other users a potato.

User Info: HappyGuy

HappyGuy
2 weeks ago#12
Here’s an example to prove my point.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/78263318

Simple game comparison topic with a poll. 20 posts.

I waited a little over a week to post the same topic with no poll.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/78290137

48 posts and counting.

A vote is considered a contribution to a topic, and as a result people vote and don’t post. Bumping a poll topic every 5(or however many) votes would keep the thread visible and encourage more votes and potentially more conversation.

I can try this experiment again with a different topic to provide more evidence if needed.

A Mod/Admin said on 4/2/2018 8:47:55 PM:
Please do not call other users a potato.

User Info: DragonAtma

DragonAtma
2 weeks ago#13
*anti-sign*
In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
Ceterum autem censeo Gamefaqs separandam esse.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Poll topics should be bumped every 5 votes.
  • Topic Closed