• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. I suggest that topics are no longer archived, at least for individual games

User Info: Kinkoyaburi

Kinkoyaburi
1 week ago#1
I have lost count of the number of times I wanted to reply to someone on some game's board only to find out that I just can't. This defeats the purpose of this entire site. How are people supposed to talk and share information and feel as part of a community? It's 2019, game storage is cheap and abundant. Make the leap to the future GameFAQs!

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
1 week ago#2
*anti-sign*

Important information could be archived in those posts. Not archiving the posts is counter to the site's main purpose as a site for help with games.
My Social Server, Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/ddQBsCq
My PMD Rescue Server: https://discord.gg/KDRJmWF

User Info: ArchonKnight

ArchonKnight
1 week ago#3
*anti-sign*

If your alternative to archiving posts is to leave them open indefinitely, I disagree. Especially in today's gaming world where patches, updates, and overall changes are commonplace amongst most recent games, someone eventually bumping a 5 year old topic could potentially cause considerable confusion, like advancing obsolete information.
{]xxxxxxxxx(&)::::;;;;;:::::::::::::::::::::;;;;::::::::::::::::>
Memento Mori

User Info: Thunderbird8

Thunderbird8
1 week ago#4
The archiving system was changed a few months ago. Doubt this will happen.

Kinkoyaburi
1 week ago#5
ArchonKnight posted...
*anti-sign*

If your alternative to archiving posts is to leave them open indefinitely, I disagree. Especially in today's gaming world where patches, updates, and overall changes are commonplace amongst most recent games, someone eventually bumping a 5 year old topic could potentially cause considerable confusion, like advancing obsolete information.

"Considerable confusion"? Seriously? Like someone crashing the stock market based on obsolete information about a game?

User Info: ArchonKnight

ArchonKnight
1 week ago#6
Your hyperbolic argument won't do you any favors. The point is having topics remain open and active for years would have more negative impacts on a site layout like GameFAQs. Plus, having my Active Messages Posted page be upwards of 100 pages because topics don't archive would be annoying. Not to mention if a new string of posts pop up in a topic about a game I haven't played in months.

What possible beneficial comment could you add to a topic that has died and archived to warrant being this upset about not being able to bump it?
{]xxxxxxxxx(&)::::;;;;;:::::::::::::::::::::;;;;::::::::::::::::>
Memento Mori

Kinkoyaburi
6 days ago#7
ArchonKnight posted...
Plus, having my Active Messages Posted page be upwards of 100 pages because topics don't archive would be annoying. Not to mention if a new string of posts pop up in a topic about a game I haven't played in months.

What possible beneficial comment could you add to a topic that has died and archived to warrant being this upset about not being able to bump it?

This is a non-argument. You could always opt out of receiving messages for any given board, or after a certain period of time has passed if you don't want to see it.
Comment's doesn't necessarily have to be "beneficial" What does this even mean? If I want to reply to a silly joke post, I want to be able to do it. My 20 letter sentence would hardly tax the servers.

User Info: DragonAtma

DragonAtma
6 days ago#8
*anti-sign*
In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
Ceterum autem censeo Gamefaqs separandam esse.

User Info: BanjoBoomer

BanjoBoomer
6 days ago#9
I don't see why it would be a problem on some of the exceptionally dead old game boards. Like, for instance, I wanted to reply to the topics in the Digger T. Rock board:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/587229-digger-t-rock-the-legend-of-the-lost-city

It's not like anything has changed with Digger T. Rock in the past 10 years, aside from being in Rare Replay.

User Info: Thunderbird8

Thunderbird8
5 days ago#10
BanjoBoomer posted...
I don't see why it would be a problem on some of the exceptionally dead old game boards. Like, for instance, I wanted to reply to the topics in the Digger T. Rock board:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/587229-digger-t-rock-the-legend-of-the-lost-city

It's not like anything has changed with Digger T. Rock in the past 10 years, aside from being in Rare Replay.

The archiving rules implemented in February will keep at least 5 topics open permanently, and topics 6-20 take a year to archive. That should be sufficient for the boards that are pretty much dead (and is much better than the old system of archiving stuff after only 10 days for very low activity boards).
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. I suggest that topics are no longer archived, at least for individual games
  • Topic Closed