You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. A small change to the way GameFAQs embeds video

User Info: Grey_Locus

Grey_Locus
3 weeks ago#1
Usually when one clicks a YouTube thumbnail it embeds the video on the post, but then there's no way to restore it back to normal without refreshing the page. Also, there's no way to play the video in a new tab without opening the video first and then pausing it so it doesn't play at the same time.

My suggestion is to add a small link or a button next to the thumbnail that links to the source URL, and when the video is embedded it's replaced by another one that reverts it back to the thumbnail.
Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
3 weeks ago#2
*anti-sign*

The site is using the standard YouTube embedding code.

Grey_Locus posted...
Also, there's no way to play the video in a new tab without opening the video first and then pausing it so it doesn't play at the same time.

You can click on the YouTube button - bottom of the video, to the right, next to the fullscreen button. That will open it in YouTube's own site in a new tab, continue it from where it left off, and pause it on the current page.

Grey_Locus posted...
My suggestion is to add a small link or a button next to the thumbnail that links to the source URL

If you click on the three dots in the top right ("More") you then get the option Share which gives you a link to the video.

Grey_Locus posted...
reverts it back to the thumbnail.

I see no value in reverting back to the thumbnail.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

Grey_Locus
3 weeks ago#3
You misunderstand. What I mean is that if you want to do any of that you first need to click the blue play button on the thumbnail, which autoplays the video. Also, having the video buffering even when it's not being watched it consumes memory and bandwidth, in adition to looking messy.

I know it doesn't seem like much but it gets annoying when a post has multiple video links and you want each in a new tab. The YouTube button doesn't autopause when you ctrl-click it, so either you have to pause manually or switch tabs to get back to the post. What could be done in a single click turns into ends up taking three.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: TheReasoner1

TheReasoner1
3 weeks ago#4
Let's see...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psxktpxkc6o
signature

User Info: TheReasoner1

TheReasoner1
3 weeks ago#5
Grey_Locus posted...
You misunderstand. What I mean is that if you want to do any of that you first need to click the blue play button on the thumbnail, which autoplays the video.

It does not autoplay for me. When I click the blue play button, the video frame reloads. The "new" video frame has the same thumbnail, a youtube control bar, and a dark grey play button (red when hovered over). I then have to push the new play button to start the video.

So maybe this is something you can change in your browser settings.
signature

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
3 weeks ago#6
Grey_Locus posted...
Also, having the video buffering even when it's not being watched it consumes memory and bandwidth,

But the video only buffers so much. Around 40 seconds for me, if I judge by the video posted above. I don't know if that varies between browsers or network speeds but in my experience it seems around what YouTube always pre-loads. It won't buffer the whole video. If you've trouble with two videos buffering at once with YouTube's restricted buffer size, then I'd hazard a guess that even one video could be a hassle.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: WhillB

WhillB
2 weeks ago#7
Yeah, they don't auto play for me either (after clicking the blue play button).
Bing, Bang, Boom... Squish?

User Info: Megalodon966

Megalodon966
2 weeks ago#8
*signs*

It is REALLY needed.
https://www.marioboards.com/index.php?action=profile;u=5951 my Mario Boards profile.
Official George Jones of the Ultimate board

Grey_Locus
2 weeks ago#9
TheReasoner1 posted...
It does not autoplay for me. So maybe this is something you can change in your browser settings.
WhillB posted...
Yeah, they don't auto play for me either (after clicking the blue play button).

That's odd, my browser autoplays on GameFAQs but not on the actual YouTube site.

vlado_e posted...
If you've trouble with two videos buffering at once with YouTube's restricted buffer size, then I'd hazard a guess that even one video could be a hassle.

It's only really a problem when a page has multiple videos and I'm downloading or updating something.

As I said, it's only a small improvement, it could be placed behind an user setting. Though if we're going down that road, I guess there are more things about embedding that could be improved, like max image sizes and an embed button for quoted images.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. A small change to the way GameFAQs embeds video