You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. New site font to distinguish between a couple of letters

User Info: MegamanXfan21xx

MegamanXfan21xx
4 weeks ago#1
With the site's current font, a lowercase "L" and uppercase "i" are nearly identical: IlIlIlIl

I think that, since this is a video game website and plenty of games have codes or phrases you have to type out, it would be helpful to know which of the two you're supposed to use. Just putting those little lines on the top and bottom of the uppercase i would solve the problem.
Number of fellow Poets of the Fall fans: 25
Want: Death Stranding, The Outer Worlds, Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe, Psychonauts 2, Bully 2, Atomic Heart

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
4 weeks ago#2
It's generally not a good practice to use serifed fonts on webpages, to recollection, and the cases where such outliers would be relevant are extremely rare, pretty much limited to password submissions and such.

Those you can clarify with a simple note in the password description in the submission form. In the case of posting stuff on the boards, you can just use the < code ></ code > tags in order to type in a font that will make things clearer.
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/fexbndS
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Salogy

Salogy
4 weeks ago#3
The problem I see with the font this website displays is my user name, for example, has an "L" in it. So if I type SaIogy with an "i" it looks similar to Salogy with an "L".

If another user wanted to impersonate me, they could create a new user with an upper "i" in it and no one would notice. By the time a mod figures someone is impersonating a user with a lower "L" in their name, the damage may have already been done. I have witnessed this damage done on trade boards in the past but the admins will do nothing about any of this after the fact.
"In truth, they haven't been allowed for ages, we've just never enforced the rule" -SineNomine on presigs

User Info: -hotdogturtle--

-hotdogturtle--
4 weeks ago#4
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/user/settings_advanced

There are multiple styles to choose from and some of them do have different fonts already.
Hey man, LlamaGuy did encrypt the passwords.
With what? ROT-13? -CJayC

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
3 weeks ago#5
Salogy posted...
The problem I see with the font this website displays is my user name, for example, has an "L" in it. So if I type SaIogy with an "i" it looks similar to Salogy with an "L".

If another user wanted to impersonate me, they could create a new user with an upper "i" in it and no one would notice. By the time a mod figures someone is impersonating a user with a lower "L" in their name, the damage may have already been done. I have witnessed this damage done on trade boards in the past but the admins will do nothing about any of this after the fact.

I was neutral on this, but this alone would be a good reason to somehow make the letters different on the site, no matter what setting you are working with.

Signs
Our kitty has left to be with the Lord.
RIP Rascal, March 12, 2016. We miss you dearly...
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. New site font to distinguish between a couple of letters