You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Time to revamp time of completion section for games

User Info: BillyPones

BillyPones
1 week ago#1
Seems strange that it jumps from 20 to 40, 60 and finally over 80 hours. Why so vague? It would be nice to have an option to set the time completed to something more specific rather than the way it currently is. Making this section more accurate seems to make sense for this type of site.
"Joe the Policeman from the What's going down Episode of that's my momma"
(edited 1 week ago)
(message deleted)

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
1 week ago#3
So, what would or should happen with the historically collected data?
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

BillyPones
1 week ago#4
vlado_e posted...

Just because it's been super vague for many years doesn't mean it needs to stay that way. Just should have the ability to be more specific moving forward. Wasn't saying that all current data should be wiped

vlado_e
1 week ago#5
BillyPones posted...
vlado_e posted...

Just because it's been super vague for many years doesn't mean it needs to stay that way. Just should have the ability to be more specific moving forward. Wasn't saying that all current data should be wiped

That doesn't at all answer the question, though. The accumulated average would hardly budge from a new vote that's, say 15 hours lower (25 instead of 40) and because it's historic data, most of the times that would be submitted would have been submitted. The vast majority of users wouldn't go back and re-submit slightly more correct times for all games they have.

So, the question remains - what should happen with the historically collected data? Keeping it influences any new submissions. Only entirely new games would benefit from the ability to submit more granular time, since they don't have any historic submissions.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

BillyPones
1 week ago#6
vlado_e posted...
BillyPones posted...
vlado_e posted...

That doesn't at all answer the question, though. The accumulated average would hardly budge from a new vote that's, say 15 hours lower (25 instead of 40) and because it's historic data, most of the times that would be submitted would have been submitted. The vast majority of users wouldn't go back and re-submit slightly more correct times for all games they have.

So, the question remains - what should happen with the historically collected data? Keeping it influences any new submissions. Only entirely new games would benefit from the ability to submit more granular time, since they don't have any historic submissions.

Well in the case that you mentioned it seems to make more sense to start from scratch due to the fact that for a lot of games it's just plain wrong.

vlado_e
6 days ago#7
BillyPones posted...
vlado_e posted...
BillyPones posted...
vlado_e posted...

Well in the case that you mentioned it seems to make more sense to start from scratch due to the fact that for a lot of games it's just plain wrong.

But if you do that, you get into a different problem for a similar reason - people aren't going to go and vote for all the old games. So if you throw away the historic data, you will get nothing for a lot of games.

BillyPones
5 days ago#8
Right we get it. You would rather the information be wrong and keep things status quo because it's been wrong since the sites started. Thing is just because something has been wrong for a long period of time doesn't mean that it should STAY that way. I would think the site would prefer to give factual information rather than arbitrary ballpark estimates.

User Info: ArchonKnight

ArchonKnight
5 days ago#9
Why erase it if this change is made? No harm could come from leaving the old data and allowing it to be a precise time going forward. Whether you implement the new way or dismiss it, it's going to stay the same way.
At the very least new games would have a chance to be gauged accurately. Plus, if people really wanted to, they could change their time for their old games.
{]xxxxxxxxx(&)::::;;;;;:::::::::::::::::::::;;;;::::::::::::::::>
Memento Mori

vlado_e
3 days ago#10
BillyPones posted...
Right we get it. You would rather the information be wrong and keep things status quo because it's been wrong since the sites started.

That's not at all what I'm saying. Whatever you do with historical data - keep it or wipe it, you'd end up with inaccurate times for already existing titles. That's not what I want that's just inevitable.

It's something you definitely didn't think about when making this suggestion since you think that's merely my wish instead of reality. I've no investment in what the time displayed for games would be. You do - yet you haven't thought through your suggestion and a simple yet fundamental question about it like "what should be done with historical data" makes you backpedal and defensive and trying to claim that's somehow my problem, instead of refining the suggestion or putting any more thought into it.

Are you sure you want to simply keep repeating "something should be done" until something is done and, more than likely, you're not satisfied with the results because you never specified any to begin with?
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Time to revamp time of completion section for games