• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Make ignored users remain ignored when someone quotes their post

User Info: Eraldus

Eraldus
1 month ago#1
Since the moderation in this site is just plain awful and since the mods allows trolls to roam free and get away with everything that's not too explicit, we have to resort to put these trolls on ignore... the problem, though, is that if someone quotes the user you have on ignore, you can still see their posts, which is pretty annoying.

Could you revise your ignore feature and allow ignored users's posts to not show up when someone quotes their posts?
Welcome to GameFAQs, a magical place where people feed the trolls, then complains that they won't go away!

User Info: FarplaneDragon

FarplaneDragon
1 month ago#2
This is never going to happen. Period.
Don't try to think we can understand each other. For some reason, people think that they can do that. Remember that they can't. Never completely. Never enough.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
1 month ago#3
*anti-sign*

Look, I'd love to have this feature but it's also impossible. I'll illustrate - let's say you've ignored Alice and Bob decides to quote her. If Bob only quotes Alice and only responds to her you want that message hidden, I agree with that. But what happens if Bob quotes Alice and responds to her but then quotes Carol (who you haven't ignored) and responds to her as well . You have several different outcomes here:

- you only hide the quote to Alice and leave the text in. That leaves the post disjointed and likely not making much sense. It's also inconsistent with what happened previously.
- you hide the entire post from Bob, including the section with Carol. That also doesn't make much sense. Moreover, you run into a recursive problem when Carol quotes Bob and responds.
- you hide only the quote from Alice and the response to her, the quote from Carol and the corresponding response stay. It'd be cool but impossible to do as there is no possible way for the system to know what sections of the text relate to which other sections of the text and how.

So, all of your options here are bad. But that's not the only problematic situation. What if Bob quotes Alice writes a paragraph in response, then writes a second paragraph that is unrelated? What if Bob doesn't quote Alice when responding to her?

So, it's not really possible.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: CreekCo

CreekCo
1 month ago#4
I agree 100% with the TC. It’s not that hard to program. Plus, I also think that intentionally quoting another poster for the purposes of bypassing the ignore function should be a major offense. I’ve had a moderator do that intentionally before and he even said so. Basically this loop hole lets the bad guys win currently.
*Triggered*

vlado_e
1 month ago#5
CreekCo posted...
It’s not that hard to program

If it's so easy, then what happens when Bob quotes Alice and Carol, then Carol quotes Bob's entire message.

I'll wait.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

CreekCo
1 month ago#6
vlado_e posted...
CreekCo posted...
It’s not that hard to program

If it's so easy, then what happens when Bob quotes Alice and Carol, then Carol quotes Bob's entire message.

I'll wait.

That’s probably not intentional. It’s a small percentage of use cases but I can personally verify this does happen. Nobody really minds when others have no clue but that’s not this. What this refers to is cases like a poster using like several alts to spam and harass others by posting users who are blocked and it’s common knowledge. Again, this is something I had happen last week.
*Triggered*

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
1 month ago#7
It's a nice idea, but simply not feasible with the way the messages on the boards are presently handled.
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/fexbndS

vlado_e
1 month ago#8
CreekCo posted...
That’s probably not intentional.

OK, if it's so easy to program, then how do you separate the intentional from non-intentional?

CreekCo posted...
What this refers to is cases like a poster using like several alts to spam and harass others by posting users who are blocked and it’s common knowledge

So, ignore these alts. You can probably also hit report. But I'd probably start with examining why can the troll harass specifically target people who ignored him. Did you tell him that? Why? If you simply ignore somebody, I don't think they get a special notification or anything or even know they are ignored.

CreekCo
1 month ago#9
Not being rude but I’m just here to make a suggestion. Having gone through something it’s my due diligence as a member to point it out. Nothing is ever easy... if it were, it wouldn’t be a problem.
*Triggered*
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Make ignored users remain ignored when someone quotes their post
  • Topic Closed