You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Allow User Profile Pictures to appear in posts.

User Info: MrMegaPhoenix

MrMegaPhoenix
1 month ago#21
-hotdogturtle-- posted...
MrMegaPhoenix posted...
Even if those few people hate avatars

There used to be a board called "The Future of GameFAQs", which I only just realized was deleted... On it, the admins made an individual topic for each of several potential ideas that they were thinking about, and let the users comment on them. On the topic of avatars in posts, we're not talking about "a few people" hating them. We're talking about >60% of everybody responding saying that they do not want them. Not "I don't care either way", but "please do not do this". It was either the lowest or second lowest rated topic on the board, rivaled only by GameFAQs premium subscriptions.

what was the lowest or third lowest, having emoji?

and like I said, I think listening to only a couple of people is a really ignorant thing for a huge website to do. as of this very second, 2231 registered users are viewing the boards. thinking a couple of them hating the idea of it even being an option should have "the final say" on any subject is just really really ignorant. Gamefaqs is a much better and more mature website than to do that.

but yes, if a couple of people really hate an option just because its an option, then they can feel that way. its ultimately not going to be the reason its added or not added though. hence why we have emoji 😘
Now Playing:
Last Finished: Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
1 month ago#22
I like the idea, but keep it small.

Conditional Signs

Though I say let's not go further than this and introduce likes/dislikes or anything. Don't want this to become like social media, which is what people are probably worried about.
Our kitty has left to be with the Lord.
RIP Rascal, March 12, 2016. We miss you dearly...

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
1 month ago#23
TriforceSD posted...
Though I say let's not go further than this and introduce likes/dislikes or anything

Has this been suggested here? Because I don't think so. Moreover, any time the topic of adding any sort of "likes" system, there has been a resounding "No" from the community.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: MrMegaPhoenix

MrMegaPhoenix
1 month ago#24
TriforceSD posted...
Though I say let's not go further than this and introduce likes/dislikes or anything.

they'd never ever let us have no's, because that would be open to abuse quite easily. think of system boards and how easy it would be for people on "one side" to spam no's against the other out of petty jealousy.

honestly though, a "like" system should be fine if easy to do. You see in some topics where people post to just say "I agree" or they quote the person without adding anything new. a "+1" system where you could like the post would avoid unnecessary posting like that

(but yeah, then you'd to ensure nobody on the same ip can like your post, as you'd get desperate people using alts to spam likes on their posts to feel important)
Now Playing:
Last Finished: Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise

User Info: Kaliesto

Kaliesto
1 month ago#25
TriforceSD posted...
I like the idea, but keep it small.

Conditional Signs

Though I say let's not go further than this and introduce likes/dislikes or anything. Don't want this to become like social media, which is what people are probably worried about.

That was the idea, keeping the profile picture small is all that is needed. Some forums do this very thing to be less taxing.

I once liked the idea of likes/dislikes but it will end up being another tool for the trolls which all we know infest this site like a plague.
Gimme dat, gimme dat, gimme dat DramaFAQs-misterbum

User Info: Thunderbird8

Thunderbird8
1 month ago#26
vlado_e posted...
TriforceSD posted...
Though I say let's not go further than this and introduce likes/dislikes or anything

Has this been suggested here? Because I don't think so. Moreover, any time the topic of adding any sort of "likes" system, there has been a resounding "No" from the community.

This was one of the few topics that was on The Future of GameFAQs, but it was soundly rejected by the userbase.

User Info: Beveren_Rabbit

Beveren_Rabbit
1 month ago#27
*signs*

Gamefaqs avatars are non-intrusive, aren't animated, and they too small to be a bother. People bothered by them are over the age of 35 and want Gamefaqs to remain the same it was when they first started posting in 6th grade. It's 2019. If you hate avatars so much you always opt out. For those that want avatars they can choose where to position the avatar so it doesn't reshape the way topics are shown too much.
*flops*

User Info: ArchonKnight

ArchonKnight
2 weeks ago#28
Anti-sign.

And whoa, I'm not even 30.
{]xxxxxxxxx(&)::::;;;;;:::::::::::::::::::::;;;;::::::::::::::::>
Memento Mori

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
1 week ago#29
This needs to be a thing. Why even have avatars at all if you have to go out of your way to see them?
"No point in having two characters that are pretty much carbon copies. Am I right?" - Viridi

User Info: Kaliesto

Kaliesto
4 days ago#30
Gargomon251 posted...
This needs to be a thing. Why even have avatars at all if you have to go out of your way to see them?

My point exactly!
Gimme dat, gimme dat, gimme dat DramaFAQs-misterbum
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Allow User Profile Pictures to appear in posts.