• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. It'd be great to get a notification if someone quotes you

User Info: SBBrealquick

SBBrealquick
2 weeks ago#1
That’d be a great resource.

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
2 weeks ago#2
This was just touched on by an admin in a recent topic. In short, looks like it's not happening.

Topic in question - https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/7-site-suggestions/77398264

In general, for future reference, it is best to search on this board for past, similar topics; this is far from the first topic on this matter (and I doubt it will be the last >_>).
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/qavbtaQ

SBBrealquick
2 weeks ago#3
Oh yeah, sorry. Right there on the first page. Interesting they’d opt out of something that seems to be in such high demand.

SBBrealquick
2 weeks ago#4
I mean really, how many people post in a topic and essentially just want to see if what they said has received any rebuttal or further discussion? I sure as hell do haha. This one is a no brainer.

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
2 weeks ago#5
I mean, I just keep a bookmark to my AMP and that does the job since, usually, if I post in a topic I'm genuinely interested in it.

Besides, there are all sorts of problems with it that have also been brought up in the past:

- Posts are just basic HTML, so it'd require reworking the backend to be able to do so
- People can just respond directly to you without quoting (as we are now), so you wouldn't always get a notification
- There's probably some amount of shenanigans required to work around usernames with weird formatting, e.g. spaces
- This is easily dealt with by just keeping track of topics you are interested in

I suppose there might be a case for just having the quote button append an @ to the start of someone's username when quoting, but quotes in general resulting in @'s doesn't seem to be plausible without a lot of work to handle making it possible and to handle the fringe cases.

Just my thoughts though.
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/qavbtaQ

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
2 weeks ago#6
SBBrealquick posted...
Interesting they’d opt out of something that seems to be in such high demand.

Is it, though? I didn't get to anti-sign the other ones because they were closed before I could. So here it goes:

*anti-sign*

SBBrealquick posted...
I mean really, how many people post in a topic and essentially just want to see if what they said has received any rebuttal or further discussion?

I do that by...visiting the topic again. Because I'm actually interested in the topic, I don't go there to post once and only reply to whoever replies to me. I know for a fact this doesn't lead to a good discussion, since lots of people decide to not bother with anything else in the topic, so the "discussion" facilitated by this feature starts going around in circles when information posted previously is ignored because somebody wasn't quoted.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. It'd be great to get a notification if someone quotes you
  • Topic Closed