• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Notifications on message quotes/replies

User Info: JaeredMack

JaeredMack
4 weeks ago#1
Itd go along way in making for better discussions to get a notification when someone quotes your post.
Sometimes I log-in and post bad wrestling takes.

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
4 weeks ago#2
This was just touched on by an admin in a recent topic. In short, looks like it's not happening.

Topic in question - https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/7-site-suggestions/77398264
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/qavbtaQ

JaeredMack
4 weeks ago#3
That's terrible news. The site is worse for that decision.

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
4 weeks ago#4
JaeredMack posted...
That's terrible news. The site is worse for that decision.

Idk... Devin had a point.

It sounds like a good idea in theory, but who wants 50+ notifications for the same couple of messages being quoted? Seems like more of a hassle for both the user and the server tbh.

I wouldn't be against the option being added though I sure as hell wouldn't use it, but that's irrelevant considering it'll never happen.
Every single choice you have ever made in your entire life has led up to you reading this signature, right now.
How does that make you feel?

Eevee-Trainer
4 weeks ago#5
Yeah tbh, Devin's point is completely circumvented by it being optional. Of course there's also the (older) talking point about, with how the message boards are designed now, this isn't really feasible to do since posts are just basically simple HTML.
See me on Discord! ^.^

User Info: Emulator

Emulator
4 weeks ago#6
The better option is to track the topic!
"It is not death I fear, I only fear doing nothing in life!" [I quit Badges Hunting. RIP Badge Levels!]
http://karma.hardcore-tm.com/?user=Emulator

User Info: TheReasoner1

TheReasoner1
4 weeks ago#7
Eevee-Trainer posted...
Yeah tbh, Devin's point is completely circumvented by it being optional. Of course there's also the (older) talking point about, with how the message boards are designed now, this isn't really feasible to do since posts are just basically simple HTML.

Maybe there's some way around it. Like, maybe the option could actually be "Add '@' to my name when someone quotes me". I know know if that would be any easier to program, I'm just saying there might be a way to jury-rig it to get the same result, without completely overhauling the site.

Also, I wish that previous topic hadn't been closed so quickly. The lone reason given is easily solved by this being optional, and OFF by default. Even if there are other reasons it can't be done, what's the harm in allowing a discussion about it?
signature

User Info: -hotdogturtle--

-hotdogturtle--
4 weeks ago#8
Even if it was optional, I think after a few days of using the feature you'd understand that it would be overkill like Devin was saying. People can quote any part of a post at any time for any reason. It's not like @'ing someone where you have to consciously type it out. If you're really engaged in so many active discussions that you think that this would help, you'd be flooded in notifications nonstop.
Hey man, LlamaGuy did encrypt the passwords.
With what? ROT-13? -CJayC

Eevee-Trainer
4 weeks ago#9
TheReasoner1 posted...
Maybe there's some way around it. Like, maybe the option could actually be "Add '@' to my name when someone quotes me". I know know if that would be any easier to program, I'm just saying there might be a way to jury-rig it to get the same result, without completely overhauling the site.

Hm, I could see that being possible, though I'm not much of a programmer.

TheReasoner1 posted...
Also, I wish that previous topic hadn't been closed so quickly. The lone reason given is easily solved by this being optional, and OFF by default. Even if there are other reasons it can't be done, what's the harm in allowing a discussion about it?

I imagine it's mostly because the conversation is deemed fruitless if the suggestion isn't something the admins want. It's sort of like "what's the point?"

-hotdogturtle-- posted...
Even if it was optional, I think after a few days of using the feature you'd understand that it would be overkill like Devin was saying. People can quote any part of a post at any time for any reason. It's not like @'ing someone where you have to consciously type it out. If you're really engaged in so many active discussions that you think that this would help, you'd be flooded in notifications nonstop.

Yeah I personally don't totally understand why people would want this since it's sufficient to just keep your eye on your AMP, but that's me. Also seems like it would kinda ignore cases where people respond without quoting, which is commonplace in and of itself.

Beyond that I don't really have much against the idea. I mean if people want to be flooded with notifications, I kinda see that as their business. I wouldn't use it but if some people think it'd help them, I guess more power to them, you know?
See me on Discord! ^.^

JaeredMack
4 weeks ago#10
See I don't engage in a wide array of conversations as much as I engage heavily in a few choice ones, and yes, tracking the topic is a great option, but having a notification when someone quotes you makes carrying a conversation much more efficient and on boards like 261, I would say, imperative.

In a political debate, being able to defend your opinion ion is one thing, knowing you've been called to (in a potential sea of 100's of posts) is another.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Notifications on message quotes/replies
  • Topic Archived