• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. No more "default" Flair

User Info: Emulator

Emulator
1 month ago#11
This is a good thing. But I don't think Flairs are very important that people concern about. If people make topics with wrong thread, they can change it or request mods to change it.
I don't think mods are having trouble dealing with flairs. It's a minor thing. Most people care for the topic & its messages not flairs.
"It is not death I fear, I only fear doing nothing in life!" [I quit Badges Hunting. RIP Badge Levels!]
http://karma.hardcore-tm.com/?user=Emulator

User Info: TheReasoner1

TheReasoner1
1 month ago#12
Gargomon251 posted...
TheReasoner1 posted...
Gargomon251 posted...
Eevee-Trainer posted...
Gargomon251 posted...
You'd rather have unnecessary threads?

That implies that a thread is unnecessary just because it lacks a flair.

It IS unnecessary to people who don't want to see those threads that are SUPPOSED to have flair.

For example, say you don't want plot spoilers, so you deselect "story/plot". But then there's dozens of un-flaired threads just because people are lazy or ignorant and don't put the proper flair. Sure you could report them, but that's just more work for everyone, and doesn't prevent it from happening again.

Do you think those lazy and ignorant people will stop posting if you give them one more step?
You can't stop them from deliberately picking the wrong flair, but you can at least stop them from ignoring the flair box entirely.

It's like websites that say "this field required".

At least right now, you have a way to avoid seeing topics made by lazy and ignorant people.

No you don't.

Ok, I think I understand. It seems like what you should really be asking for is for 'general' flair to be different than no flair. That way you could select all the different flairs, and it would just hide the topics from lazy/ignorant people who didn't bother choosing a flair.

I think those of us who don't care about flairs should be allowed to continue not choosing a flair. But I fully support your desire to not see our topics.
signature
TheReasoner1 posted...
Ok, I think I understand. It seems like what you should really be asking for is for 'general' flair to be different than no flair. That way you could select all the different flairs, and it would just hide the topics from lazy/ignorant people who didn't bother choosing a flair.

What he is asking is for the dropdown list on topic page not to default to "general" if you don't select it. He wants it to start empty so you are required to open the list and pick a flair. The hope is that people will look at the list (expecting to select "General") and possibly see another flair that's more suited and click that instead. Right now people are not even looking at the list at all, so they are posting flair-worthy topics under General.

The logic of his request is sound. It would in fact serve its purpose of getting more people to use flairs correctly. The question is whether the admins want to make flairing more mandatory, which I don't think they do, which is why they made it optional to begin with.
Hey man, LlamaGuy did encrypt the passwords.
With what? ROT-13? -CJayC

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
1 month ago#14
Emulator posted...
This is a good thing. But I don't think Flairs are very important that people concern about. If people make topics with wrong thread, they can change it or request mods to change it.
I don't think mods are having trouble dealing with flairs. It's a minor thing. Most people care for the topic & its messages not flairs.

TheReasoner1 posted...
I think those of us who don't care about flairs should be allowed to continue not choosing a flair.

Then why even have flairs at all if nobody is going to use them?
"No point in having two characters that are pretty much carbon copies. Am I right?" - Viridi

User Info: FarplaneDragon

FarplaneDragon
1 month ago#15
Gargomon251 posted...
Emulator posted...

TheReasoner1 posted...
I think those of us who don't care about flairs should be allowed to continue not choosing a flair.

The point, most likely, was so they could scale back on the off topic posting rule.
Don't try to think we can understand each other. For some reason, people think that they can do that. Remember that they can't. Never completely. Never enough.

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
1 month ago#16
FarplaneDragon posted...
Gargomon251 posted...
Emulator posted...

TheReasoner1 posted...

The point, most likely, was so they could scale back on the off topic posting rule.

That's awful! The smash ultimate board is already ruined because they don't enforce topicality.
"No point in having two characters that are pretty much carbon copies. Am I right?" - Viridi
FarplaneDragon posted...

This, also, does not work if people don't use flairs correctly. Posting off-topic on General is still off-topic. That's why the Community flair was created.
Hey man, LlamaGuy did encrypt the passwords.
With what? ROT-13? -CJayC

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
1 month ago#18
Gargomon251 posted...

That's awful! The smash ultimate board is already ruined because they don't enforce topicality.

Lol yeah... THAT'S why...

Anyway,

vlado_e posted...
*anti-sign*
Every single choice you have ever made in your entire life has led up to you reading this signature, right now.
How does that make you feel?

User Info: wellington

wellington
4 weeks ago#19
JoeNobody posted...
* anti signs * Unneccessary complications.
calling all chess fans http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic.php?board=576430

User Info: P4wn4g3

P4wn4g3
4 weeks ago#20
*anti sign*

you have the option to mark a topic for being off-flair and a mod will add the appropriate flair. The entire idea though was to encourage more discussion and be more lax with topicality. Furthermore you have the option to customize your flairs.

-hotdogturtle-- posted...
TheReasoner1 posted...

What he is asking is for the dropdown list on topic page not to default to "general" if you don't select it. He wants it to start empty so you are required to open the list and pick a flair. The hope is that people will look at the list (expecting to select "General") and possibly see another flair that's more suited and click that instead. Right now people are not even looking at the list at all, so they are posting flair-worthy topics under General.

The logic of his request is sound. It would in fact serve its purpose of getting more people to use flairs correctly. The question is whether the admins want to make flairing more mandatory, which I don't think they do, which is why they made it optional to begin with.

If this is what you are trying to propose TC you need to work on your wording, close this topic, and make a new thread.
7D ChessMaster of Dark Aether
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/851-dark-aether
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. No more "default" Flair
  • Topic Closed