You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. A better way to add links to posts.

User Info: Crepes

Crepes
4 weeks ago#1
These days it appears a lot of links you want to include in posts are two long. This is due to links now being auto generated on the most part and having some for of long winded ID or title included.

This causes you to either use something like tinyurl which has risks associated with it or break the link into multiple parts which a) is frustrating for both the writer and reader and b) makes the post look ugly negating the point of the rule in the first place.

I suggest implementing a new piece of functionality to allow you to add links to posts using an additional button to go along side the current bold / spoilers / quote buttons.

I’m happy to take suggestions on the exact way this should work but initially I would suggest clicking the “link” button asks you to put the link in and then a description that would show on the post itself or it would default to the domain \ title of the linked page.

Hovering over the link would display the entire link in a tool tip or when you click the link it would show a message asking you to confirm you want to follow the link at which point is shows the entire link as well.

Opinions?
Praxis Makes Perfect
The only intelligent tactical response to life's horror is to laugh defiantly at it. ~Soren Kierkegaard
(edited 4 weeks ago)
(message deleted)

Crepes
4 weeks ago#3
What is the point of anti signing something?
Praxis Makes Perfect
The only intelligent tactical response to life's horror is to laugh defiantly at it. ~Soren Kierkegaard

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
4 weeks ago#4
Emulator posted...
Google shorter has no problem.

It obfuscates the URL which is a problem.

So I agree that the long URLs should be solved but I don't think the proposed solution here is the way to go. Simply allowing longer URLs is all that's needed.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: Happy1912

Happy1912
4 weeks ago#5
To be fair I believe it’s set as it won’t stretch the screen. Thus the limits on character limits with links.

And as for google solution I believe but not positive but they may have discontinued support for it. Again I’m not positive on that.
FC 0361-6489-6518/XL FC 3755-2065-2060 Switch FC SW-1289-7377-4301/2DS 4098-9016-5170 Discord happy1912#7613 Let's get this party started! Merry Christmas!

User Info: FarplaneDragon

FarplaneDragon
4 weeks ago#6
Crepes posted...
What is the point of anti signing something?

From the sticky.

"-Anti-signing the petition - these users disagree with the idea, and are encouraged (but not required) to explain the reason(s) for their disagreement"
Don't try to think we can understand each other. For some reason, people think that they can do that. Remember that they can't. Never completely. Never enough.

Crepes
4 weeks ago#7
I get that but I don’t understand why? If the site implements a feature you don’t like don’t use it. Just an excuse for people. Like what benefit are you co tribute game to the site? Just seems like an excuse for negative people to be negative.
Praxis Makes Perfect

User Info: Anisoptera

Anisoptera
4 weeks ago#8
*signs*

URl shortners obscure what the website is and you need a chrome/firefox extension to preview shortened links.

User Info: Emulator

Emulator
4 weeks ago#9
Anisoptera posted...
*signs*

URl shortners obscure what the website is and you need a chrome/firefox extension to preview shortened links.

Now I got what TC meant exactly. Sorry for my misunderstanding. I thought of something else.
"It is not death I fear, I just fear doing nothing in life!"
http://karma.hardcore-tm.com/?user=Emulator

Crepes
4 weeks ago#10
Emulator posted...
Anisoptera posted...
*signs*

Now I got what TC meant exactly. Sorry for my misunderstanding. I thought of something else.

Thanks. Apologies for not making it clear in the original post. You’re always welcome to ask me to clarify for what it’s worth in the future.
Praxis Makes Perfect
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. A better way to add links to posts.