• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Archived topics

User Info: VS11v

VS11v
2 months ago#1
It is such a shame that topics that have not been posted on are permanently archived and sometimes lost among the many different topics for as long as time can tell. I think that there should be an option to unarchive them if you have a good reason to do so.

User Info: Montie2k

Montie2k
2 months ago#2
As far as I am aware, you can now delete an archived topic containing one post in exactly the same way you can delete an active topic containing only one post.
So are we so different? Of course, we are, and you will be even more different if I ever finish my homemade flame thrower.
-Jack Handey

User Info: Thunderbird8

Thunderbird8
2 months ago#3
I can guarantee you that this is never going to happen.

If a topic is not getting activity, why should it continue to be active? Granted, on the gigantic boards, topics archive quick.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
2 months ago#4
Thunderbird8 posted...
If a topic is not getting activity, why should it continue to be active? Granted, on the gigantic boards, topics archive quick.

Well, it's not the size of the board what matters, it's how you use it. I mean, it's how many posts you get in that topic - the archive timeout is based on that.

At any rate, I can't think of a single time unarchiving would be that advantageous. I suppose sometimes if a thread gets a LOT of activity, then it reaches 500 messages and it's automatically locked, so one could make the claim that if a thread is active, it should be kept open. But in my experience, topics with 500 messages are the extreme minority. Moreover, you can just make a new topic called "<Last topic title> part 2" or something to that effect and continue the discussion. If the topic is otherwise active, people would move to the new one anyway. And they do.

Even if a topic was archived "prematurely" as in before it reached 500 messages and you want to resurrect it then...just make a new topic and give a link to the old one. I've seen people do that and nobody seems to mind. It's also something that doesn't happen very often but still - it's an option.

I can't really see the value of this suggestion but I'm not going to vote on it yet.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
2 months ago#5
I'll sign.
It happens enough, where I go to a board and want to add comments to a topic but it has long been archived and then looks stupid that I have to reply using a new topic which will likely archive before the next poster comes around. It just looks cluttered and would flow and look better if we could still post in the original topic, which usually has only a few posts as it is.

This isn't a bad idea for some old and dead boards, at least if the archiving schedule never changes (which itself has been shot down many times). But like many topics, I always vote and sign everytime something like this that comes up.
Our kitty has left to be with the Lord.
RIP Rascal, March 12, 2016. We miss you dearly...
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Archived topics
  • Topic Archived