• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Changing the date format

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
3 months ago#11
Quoth posted...
Devin Morgan posted...
GameFAQs is based in the US, which is why we display the date in that manner.

/thread

You are aware that's not really any form of justification, right? We have various customisations we can do to the way various things are displayed. Changing the display date is no different to any of those in concept.

And even if it's based in the US, the website is international. Claiming the origin as the reason for the date makes as much sense as all the text being right aligned because the person who was responsible for that was left handed. In fact, GameFAQs nowadays supports non-English characters:

بلدي الحوامات مليئة الثعابين

Мое судно на воздушной подушке полно угрей

私のホバークラフトはうなぎで満たされています

Why are these allowed if the website is based in the US? It's inconsistent to support those languages but not date formatting - both are aspects of catering to international audience.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: wellington

wellington
3 months ago#12
saves
calling all chess fans http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic.php?board=576430

User Info: DarkUser

DarkUser
2 months ago#13
*signs*

User Info: Hardkoroff

Hardkoroff
2 months ago#14
*signs*

User Info: QwelzaarKane

QwelzaarKane
2 months ago#15
vlado_e posted...
Also, since this is the Site Suggestions, I'd definitely *sign* a suggestion for having a setting for the dates.

*signs*
http://error1355.com/ce/QwelzaarKane.html
Can it be that it was all so simple then?

User Info: Crash

Crash
2 months ago#16
I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen this requested and it's absurd that it still hasn't been implemented.

*signs*

Devin Morgan posted...
GameFAQs is based in the US, which is why we display the date in that manner.

This has never been a good argument for why other options are not available.
"Why aren't you voting?"
"Because my candidate's handshake had no character."

User Info: FarplaneDragon

FarplaneDragon
2 months ago#17
You people need to chill. Devin's statement is that GameFaqs being a US is why it's date is displayed in this format by default. He's not arguing against changing it, if he was he would have locked the topic at this point.
Don't try to think we can understand each other. For some reason, people think that they can do that. Remember that they can't. Never completely. Never enough.

User Info: Devin Morgan

Devin Morgan
2 months ago#18
FarplaneDragon posted...
You people need to chill. Devin's statement is that GameFaqs being a US is why it's date is displayed in this format by default. He's not arguing against changing it, if he was he would have locked the topic at this point.

Personally I'd like for us to offer custom date formats, it's just not as easy as you think. The site is quite large as you know, and we use different formats in different areas (look at the boards vs say FAQs for example). Not to mention quite a few pages of the site are cached, so adding a user-defined setting may break caching and account for greater overall load times. There are a variety of hurdles we'd need to overcome before such a change is made site-wide.

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
2 months ago#19
Late to this topic.
While I'm here in the US, I can see where people are coming from.
I'll sign too.

But yeah, I understand what Devin is saying.
Our kitty has left to be with the Lord.
RIP Rascal, March 12, 2016. We miss you dearly...
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Changing the date format
  • Topic Closed