• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Search a user's name on a board to bring up all topics created by them.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
3 months ago#11
TommyVercetti posted...
i thought you already could do this, cause several users have done this to me. Like look up all my topics and link to them. I don't get it.

You could use Google to search for topics a person has posted in - you have to use a special search query:

TommyVercetti site:gamefaqs.com

Note the last part that instructs the search engine to only search in this website. Still, that only brings out any topic you've posted in - you can't narrow it down to ones made.

An alternative is to look at a user's activity stream. Yours is currently set to private, but if you look at somebody with a public one, you can search that page for created a new topic and you'd find any recent topics by that person. Again, it's not going to be all topics ever, unless the activity stream is rather small. And doesn't work with a private activity stream.

Anyway - I would like a feature to be able to find any of my own topics, including archived ones. However, I'm not sure how I feel about searching for other people's topics - it would have honestly been useful to me a few times, when I needed to track down some information and I knew it was in a topic by a certain user. On the other hand, it's been rare that I'd need that and such a feature could be open to abuse. So, I'm not quite convinced I'd sign it or even conditionally sign it, as I don't know what a decent condition would be for this to be in.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: reb8

reb8
3 months ago#12
vlado_e posted...
I would like a feature to be able to find any of my own topics, including archived ones.

Go to your active posts and at the end of those you will find a clickable "View Archived Messages" that brings up a list of the boards you have posted on. Clicking on the board brings up the archived topics for that board that you have posted in and the date you last posted.

Does that help?
It's "not what you look at, but what you see" ~ Thoreau
If you want something different to happen, you may need to do something different ~ reb8

User Info: MrMegaPhoenix

MrMegaPhoenix
3 months ago#13
vlado_e posted...
You could use Google to search for topics a person has posted in - you have to use a special search query:TommyVercetti site:gamefaqs.comNote the last part that instructs the search engine to only search in this website. Still, that only brings out any topic you've posted in - you can't narrow it down to ones made.

you can extend the gamefaqs.com part to include the current board too. unfortunately that wont help with topics you have made (and it can sometimes pick up topics of yours in the recommendations at the bottom)

reb8 posted...
Does that help?

that only helps if you have never posted outside of a topic you have made :(
Now Playing: Yakuza 6
Last Finished: Lufia II

reb8
2 months ago#14
MrMegaPhoenix posted...
that only helps if you have never posted outside of a topic you have made :(

What?
When I click on "View Archived Messages" I get a list of all boards I have posted on with archived messages. Clicking on one of the boards gets me a list of topics I have posted in, including topics that I created on that board and topics created by others that I have posted in.

"View Archived Messages" won't work to view archived topics posted in by others, just the account that you are signed into at the time. It just seemed to be what a few of the previous posts wanted, to view their own archived posts. If not then I misunderstood and I apologize for the confusion.
If you want something different to happen, you may need to do something different ~ reb8

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
2 months ago#15
reb8 posted...
Go to your active posts and at the end of those you will find a clickable "View Archived Messages"

I never knew about this. That's a very stupid place to have that link.

reb8 posted...
Does that help?

Not really.

reb8 posted...
When I click on "View Archived Messages" I get a list of all boards I have posted on with archived messages.

Topics you have posted in. Not topics you've created.

In addition there is no search, no way to see only topics I've made, no information on who made the topic in the list, so I can at least Ctrl+F the pages. To top it off, the number of topics displayed per page is quite small, too, so going through EVERYTHING to find one topic starts becoming unfeasible for boards you've been active on.

https://i.imgtc.com/fbrn0vQ.png

The Heroes 6 board is easy to deal with but only because I've not posted a lot. As it happens, I've only posted in a single topic, so even at this point, I have to open it and see if I was the one who created it. OK, in this case I was the topic creator and I remember that fact but if there are more topics, it's hard to exactly filter those.

Case in point - the PC board. First of all, even if I remember EXACTLY the topic it was, I would need to go through 250+ pages to find it. Chances are, I don't remember exactly the topic, if I want to go through the archived topics list. At the very least, I'd want to search that list to try and match the title.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: Slayer

Slayer
2 months ago#16
Nah

reb8
2 months ago#17
vlado_e posted...
Topics you have posted in. Not topics you've created.

reb8 posted...
Clicking on one of the boards gets me a list of topics I have posted in, including topics that I created on that board and topics created by others that I have posted in.

Still, that would be an issue for that many topics. That is impressive, by the way!

vlado_e posted...
In addition there is no search

Yeah, I can see how that would be a problem.

They are listed by date (oldest first, at least for mine), but there isn't a jump button or anything to make it easier.

vlado_e posted...
At the very least, I'd want to search that list to try and match the title.

Yeah, IF you knew the exact title then you could find it with a board search, but that doesn't really help because you will likely get a lot of results that don't really match.

The 1363 topics makes the point, I was just trying to help.

User Info: MrMegaPhoenix

MrMegaPhoenix
2 months ago#18
reb8 posted...
What?When I click on "View Archived Messages" I get a list of all boards I have posted on with archived messages. Clicking on one of the boards gets me a list of topics I have posted in, including topics that I created on that board and topics created by others that I have posted in."View Archived Messages" won't work to view archived topics posted in by others, just the account that you are signed into at the time. It just seemed to be what a few of the previous posts wanted, to view their own archived posts. If not then I misunderstood and I apologize for the confusion.

it may have been pointed out already, but yah, the difference is the current archive message system shows topics you have posted in. This topic we are posting in wasn't made by you or me, but it will show in our archive message history

what I meant was a separate link in the archives so that I could click on a board and it would show only topics I have created, not every single topic I have posted in

if you ever think "man, I remember making a topic on that board once that had a useful reply but I cant remember the name of the topic", then currently its extremely hard to figure it out. With an archive topics you have made system, it could show your 4 previous topics (for example) and you can easily find it then :)
Now Playing: Yakuza 6 & Super Mario RPG
Last Finished: Lufia II

User Info: dark lancer

dark lancer
2 months ago#19
*anti-sign*

This opens the door to harassment. If someone has a beef on you on one board you're letting them find you elsewhere on the forums and they will give you problems there. The mods have always had a very lax attitude towards harassment (unless it harasses friends of mods or very specific groups of people) so if someone has your number you will get no peace.

I remember a time when there was no ignore system at all and if someone hated you they would go after every comment on every post they could find. I have ignored exactly one person on GameFAQs specifically because of this.
[+JMJ] Ave Maria!
Happy now, Shamrock?

reb8
2 months ago#20
MrMegaPhoenix posted...
it would show only topics I have created

Ahh, I guess I got lost somewhere while reading the posts. Sorry, I didn't intend to be obtuse.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Search a user's name on a board to bring up all topics created by them.
  • Topic Archived