• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Search a user's name on a board to bring up all topics created by them.

User Info: KajeI

KajeI
3 months ago#1
On that board specifically (ran out of space).

For example, I'd like to be able to put my name into the search field on the League of Legends board and see what topics I've created. I have over 20000 posts across 15000 topics on that board over something like 5 years, so searching manually using the archive function or going CTRL+F page by page or trying to remember keywords in the topic title would take a prohibitive amount of time.

The process would be something like this.

1: Go to the board you want to search on.
2: Type a user's name into the search field.
3: Once the name is completely filled in, click search/show all/confirm/whatever.
4: It'll load topics made by the searched user on that board from most recent to least recent.

It shouldn't show any of the topics made by specific users in the predictive search thing (unless the user has their name in a topic title on that board of course) until the search is actually confirmed by whoever is doing the searching. So if I type in "User 1" on a board, it'll only display the topics where "User 1" is mentioned in the topic title (aka exactly how it works currently), but if I click "see all" or whatever that prompt is then it'll take me to a page showing all the topics "User 1" has made on that board.

-

This would be incredibly useful for archiving, finding old topics where you remember who made them but not the keywords exactly (for example, a guy on the LoL board posted almost every single patch update, PBE update, content preview, etc for multiple years straight), and just generally be a useful tool.

If people were really concerned about privacy another function could also be added to disallow your name to be used in this system, so if I don't want people tracking my posts I can go into my settings and toggle something and whenever someone searches "KajeI" on a board the only topics that will come up will be the ones with my name in them.
I made a suggestion to improve the site, have a look if you're interested
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/7-site-suggestions/77308118

User Info: Emulator

Emulator
3 months ago#2
*signs*
"It is not death I fear, I just fear doing nothing in life!"
http://karma.hardcore-tm.com/?user=Emulator

User Info: FarplaneDragon

FarplaneDragon
3 months ago#3
In general people have been very must against this every time it gets submitted here.
Don't try to think we can understand each other. For some reason, people think that they can do that. Remember that they can't. Never completely. Never enough.

User Info: Happy1912

Happy1912
3 months ago#4
Tbh, I personally wouldn’t want this as a feature just because I’ve seen out of the blue users get harassed and some have left the site because of the various issues with harassment. This alone would make it so easy for a user to harass another user.

It’s not worth it when others see what’s going on and they can’t report it. It has to be the person who is being harassed that must make the reports on this site for the mods/staff to do anything about it.

We see people getting cyber bullied, harassed and what can we do as users? Nothing. So this amplifies if allowed more people will be harassed and stalked. Unless, someone sees what’s going on and it’s clear the intentions of the person who is harassing another this is just another valuable tool they could use.

*anti-sign*
FC 0361-6489-6518/XL FC 3755-2065-2060 Switch FC SW-1289-7377-4301/2DS 4098-9016-5170 Discord happy1912#7613 Let's get this party started! Merry Christmas!

User Info: DukeSR8

DukeSR8
3 months ago#5
Happy1912 posted...
Tbh, I personally wouldn’t want this as a feature just because I’ve seen out of the blue users get harassed and some have left the site because of the various issues with harassment. This alone would make it so easy for a user to harass another user.

It’s not worth it when others see what’s going on and they can’t report it. It has to be the person who is being harassed that must make the reports on this site for the mods/staff to do anything about it.

We see people getting cyber bullied, harassed and what can we do as users? Nothing. So this amplifies if allowed more people will be harassed and stalked. Unless, someone sees what’s going on and it’s clear the intentions of the person who is harassing another this is just another valuable tool they could use.

*anti-sign*
Try to guess to what my username is referencing.

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
3 months ago#6
Happy1912 posted...

*anti-sign*

My thoughts as well, but perhaps it could be integrated in a waythat allows a user to only search for THEIR topics/posts?

As it stands I'll have to *anti-sign* for now, but if be all for searching my own posts on any given board.

User Info: feraldrgn

feraldrgn
3 months ago#7
Although I would like the ability to search for a posters topics for the right reasons,
like if they had a really helpful topic in the past but I can't remember the name of it,
it could also be used for the wrong reasons.

As a counterpoint, if that happened I would expect the user to be able to report people using the feature in the wrong way for harrassment & mods to act on it.

Signs (anti-sign if the implementation isn't well thought out).

User Info: MrMegaPhoenix

MrMegaPhoenix
3 months ago#8
I wouldn't support it for other users, because its most definitely going to be used for harassment

but honestly, can we have it for ourselves? theres archived posts, so it would be neat to have an option in archives where it shows every topic we've made on that board.
Now Playing: Lufia II & Yakuza 6
Last Finished: God of War

User Info: SNS

SNS
3 months ago#9
*conditional sign*

As long as it's a feature you can deactivate for yourself. Like how you can hide your board activity. Maybe even set it as "off" by default and you have to switch it on.
"A bear stole my glory! He looked a bit like you!"

User Info: TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti
3 months ago#10
i thought you already could do this, cause several users have done this to me. Like look up all my topics and link to them. I don't get it.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Search a user's name on a board to bring up all topics created by them.
  • Topic Archived