• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Guidelines/Outright Ban Game Giveaways.

User Info: OptimusRekt

OptimusRekt
1 month ago#1
This may be a moot point since giveaways happen fairly rarely on this site, but I thought they should have either some guidelines or be taken off completely in comparison to the following problems with them:

Problem 1: People that just post keys. We know bots actively look for these so they can resell or make their own giveaways for them on other websites. Guidelines should state to not do this at all.

Problem 2: People that post lists and wait for people but people undercut one another by using the easiest method to post aka the copy and paste technique where others actually write out posts etc.

Problem 3: The authenticity of the people doing the giveaways is always a problem. Anybody can post a list of games and make people believe they're going to get them.

Problem 4: It doesn't add anything to the website. If guidelines were to be added, it would be suggested those people go to r/randomactsofgaming, Indiegala giveaways, or Steam Gifts.

Problem 5: Speaking of those sites, I'm 90% certain some people use giveaways so they can gain points on those other giveaway sites. If you look at the reddit thread, even if there's 2-3 games to be given away, sometimes you get 300+ comments for them. An older reddit thread called humblebundlegiveaway was stopped because people were requesting too much, not subbing etc.

Problem 6: If they don't give them away, they might straight up sell the keys. There's no way of telling this.

Problem 7: This site shouldn't really be used as a method to dump Humble keys that people overpaid for. It would likely help the people buying the games if they just bought what they wanted specifically. Overbuying is not helpful for anyone, charity or not.

Problem 8: It's all a lottery regardless of method. It could leave bad tastes in people's mouths. It would be better for people to just post about public giveaways from Humble + other sites.

There's probably more that I missed. Overall, these giveaways are fairly useless and a waste of space for the website overall and not in line with what the website is about (talking about games). Yes it may seem like I'm trying to be a Grinch but there should be something done about them. If you want guidelines, say Sign A) I'm for guidelines or if you're for an outright ban, say Sign B) I'm for no more giveaways altogether.
"Too fast for freedom, sometimes it all falls down, these chains never leave me, I keep dragging them around..." - Delilah by Florence Welch

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
1 month ago#2
OptimusRekt posted...
Problem 1: People that just post keys. We know bots actively look for these so they can resell or make their own giveaways for them on other websites. Guidelines should state to not do this at all.

Idk, I don't see why the site should put a stake in what other people give away. If someone giving a game away free, they obviously don't want it, so I see no reason to protect it.

OptimusRekt posted...
Problem 2: People that post lists and wait for people but people undercut one another by using the easiest method to post aka the copy and paste technique where others actually write out posts etc.

Again, there's really no reason to protect one user over another, or handicap someone for using means that are absolutely legal/moral.

OptimusRekt posted...
Problem 3: The authenticity of the people doing the giveaways is always a problem. Anybody can post a list of games and make people believe they're going to get them.

This would fall under trolling or spam, depending on the circumstances (I'd wager), and would be moderated. Life would continue normally.

OptimusRekt posted...
Problem 4: It doesn't add anything to the website. If guidelines were to be added, it would be suggested those people go to r/randomactsofgaming, Indiegala giveaways, or Steam Gifts.

If it doesn't add anything to the site, why protect/regulate it? And for that matter, why direct users to other sites without getting paid for advertising?

OptimusRekt posted...
Problem 5: Speaking of those sites, I'm 90% certain some people use giveaways so they can gain points on those other giveaway sites. If you look at the reddit thread, even if there's 2-3 games to be given away, sometimes you get 300+ comments for them. An older reddit thread called humblebundlegiveaway was stopped because people were requesting too much, not subbing etc.

Again, that's moddable. Users can't make any profit of any form, it has to be purely "here ya go".

OptimusRekt posted...
Problem 6: If they don't give them away, they might straight up sell the keys. There's no way of telling this.

I don't see how this is a problem for the site, as they wouldn't be selling them here.
Do you like polls?? We have new ones every day: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1475-always-making-polls
*Currently seeking poll makers and topic bumpers*

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
1 month ago#3
OptimusRekt posted...

Problem 7: This site shouldn't really be used as a method to dump Humble keys that people overpaid for. It would likely help the people buying the games if they just bought what they wanted specifically. Overbuying is not helpful for anyone, charity or not.

I mean... I'm trying to be as nice as I can, but are you seriously complaining that:

A- People should buy less of something they want and paid for

B- People shouldn't give games away... for free... to strangers... because... you didn't get one?

And C- People should give less to charity, because reasons?

That's messed up...

OptimusRekt posted...
Problem 8: It's all a lottery regardless of method. It could leave bad tastes in people's mouths. It would be better for people to just post about public giveaways from Humble + other sites.

That's half the fun. Sure you're salty that you didn't get your free game, but someone did, they're happy, and countless others didn't get the game yet don't care.

I don't know why I bothered to type all this (besides boredom), but you come off as someone who missed a giveaway, and now they're trying to "get even" or something. Nothing you suggest would benefit the site, so...

*anti-sign*
Do you like polls?? We have new ones every day: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1475-always-making-polls
*Currently seeking poll makers and topic bumpers*

User Info: gmo7897

gmo7897
1 month ago#4
I’m going to say that I’m fairly certain nothing like this will happen. If a user is posting giveaways and not following through, report that user’s posts. Otherwise, if you don’t want to be bothered by giveaways, don’t participate.
All Things Final Fantasy: http://gmo7897.com/s/atff
There are some walks you have to take alone.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
1 month ago#5
*anti-sign*
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: DragonAtma

DragonAtma
1 month ago#6
*anti-sign*
In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
Ceterum autem censeo Gamefaqs separandam esse.

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
1 month ago#7
Lord_Wombat posted...
*anti-sign*
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/qavbtaQ
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Guidelines/Outright Ban Game Giveaways.
  • Topic Archived