Label characters in Character Battle by their most commonly used names

• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Label characters in Character Battle by their most commonly used names

User Info: CyricZ

CyricZ
3 weeks ago#1
Yes, this is petty as hell.

Yes, I realize that now that the brackets are set we're probably too far in to change things and I should have said something before the battle started.

That said, I feel that putting improper and less common names to label characters unfairly hurts their chances, especially for those who aren't as readily familiar to the character by picture alone.

You wouldn't call Peach "Princess". You wouldn't call Alucard "Adrian".

And you wouldn't call Kazuma Kiryu "Kazuma". You'd call him "Kiryu". He's been most commonly known by his last name for years in the series, to the point sometimes people even forget his first name.

It's obviously too late for Kiryu. I'm not calling for a match reset.

I'd just like to at least make the effort to get out in front of Goro Majima before in his battle he's called "Goro" and people are confused as to why it's not a four-armed Mortal Kombat monster.

Past Character Battles have made distinctions between characters like Kratos (God of War) and Kratos Aurion (Tales of Symphonia).

tl:dr; Please for his battle, call Goro Majima "Majima" and not "Goro". Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.
CyricZ

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
2 weeks ago#2
*sign*
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/qavbtaQ

User Info: Montie2k

Montie2k
2 weeks ago#3
I am not going to sign or anti-sign but rather play Devil's Advocate and counter-argue.

CyricZ posted...
That said, I feel that putting improper and less common names to label characters unfairly hurts their chances, especially for those who aren't as readily familiar to the character by picture alone.

GameFAQs staff has been rather adamant in recent years about indicating that this is all just one big popularity contest. If Goro Majima is really that popular to warrant winning this battle as you want him to be, then wouldn't any part of his name (first or last) along with a recognizable picture be information enough to gauge his popularity?
So are we so different? Of course, we are, and you will be even more different if I ever finish my homemade flame thrower.
-Jack Handey

User Info: CyricZ

CyricZ
2 weeks ago#4
Montie2k posted...
then wouldn't any part of his name (first or last) along with a recognizable picture be information enough to gauge his popularity?

My counter argument to that would be why have a name and a picture in the first place. If a character were popular enough, would a picture on its own not be sufficient? Or a name on its own?

The answer to that is that, generally, if we're going to put a name and a picture as a combined identifier, it's to account for people who recognize things more easily via words or via images. Some people based on how they think, recognize one more than the other, and some people require both to get the proper memory jog.

As I've said, GameFAQs has made concessions in the past for the sake of clarity on being a little more descriptive. I just respectfully ask for the same courtesy in this instance. :)

I posit that if Alucard in today's battle were instead labelled "Adrian", then he wouldn't be winning against Peach today.

And again, I fully admit that this is petty, ultimately doesn't matter in the least, and I'm just trying to give my boy Majima the best fighting chance possible. I admit that. And if GameFAQs wants to say "uh no" to my request, then I'll live with it.

I just wanted to give it one shot to see if it'd work.
CyricZ

User Info: FarplaneDragon

FarplaneDragon
2 weeks ago#5
I'm not really for or against this one. I just don't see how if I don't know who someone is, probably because I've never played that game, how I'm suddenly going to know who they are because they used a slightly different name? I don't really feel it would change my vote but that's just me.
Don't try to think we can understand each other. For some reason, people think that they can do that. Remember that they can't. Never completely. Never enough.

User Info: Emulator

Emulator
2 weeks ago#6
There no problem if they are using official full names of character.
"It is not death I fear, I just fear doing nothing in life!"
http://karma.hardcore-tm.com/?user=Emulator

User Info: SBAllen

SBAllen
2 weeks ago#7
The names were tweaked throughout the bracket creation and voting process if any alarm bells were raised. Now that the contest is live, we're pretty much locked in and making any changes now could influence the results in a manner that is different from when people entered the contest.
"Um, let's face it, you'd be better off staying at the Hilton."
http://facebook.com/GFAQS | http://twitter.com/GameFAQs
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Label characters in Character Battle by their most commonly used names
  • Topic Closed