• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Merge separate boards for the same game

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
2 months ago#51
wellington posted...
FarplaneDragon posted...
Please search through this board before posting. This has been shot down endless numbers of times.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/7-site-suggestions/75659876?page=1

#20 is from the Admin himself

Considering that flairs were introduced 9 months after that post and are a seemingly popular suggestion for how this could be facilitated, I'd argue it's absolutely fair to at least leave this topic open in consideration of that fact.
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/qavbtaQ

User Info: reiko sawamura

reiko sawamura
2 months ago#52
Let's say, hypothetically, that we were to merge boards site-wide. How would you differentiate between games that have been re-released on newer systems with updated content? An example of this might be a game like Disgaea, which has seen releases over multiple systems, often wth multiple updates depending on the system it was released on. Would you keep them seperate when they slightly different titles, or would you just merge them? What about games that saw HD re-releases with updated content? Would you merge those boards as well, or leave them be? Also, consider the problems that might come up with games like Mortal Kombat, where releases of the game were drastically different depending on what system it was on. Does it really make sense to merge the boards of the games like these?

I also want to second the notion that by merging boards, we'd potentially have to purge and/or delete the old boards, something that a vast majority of users would be against. Considering that you may have to do this for both old and modern games, the backlash against the idea would be enormous. Before you say that people wouldn't mind, imagine how users will feel if they had an ongoing discussion on a board, only to wake up and find that the board and all of the topics on it had been deleted just to merge a board with one that has little to nothing on it.
It's a higher power telling me through bunnies that we're all gonna die!

Eevee-Trainer
2 months ago#53
reiko sawamura posted...
I also want to second the notion that by merging boards, we'd potentially have to purge and/or delete the old boards

I imagine the site admins would be against that, and they have migrated topics across boards before so it's not impossible to simply move them.
See me on Discord! ^.^

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
2 months ago#54
reiko sawamura posted...
I also want to second the notion that by merging boards, we'd potentially have to purge and/or delete the old boards, something that a vast majority of users would be against. Considering that you may have to do this for both old and modern games, the backlash against the idea would be enormous. Before you say that people wouldn't mind, imagine how users will feel if they had an ongoing discussion on a board, only to wake up and find that the board and all of the topics on it had been deleted just to merge a board with one that has little to nothing on it.

That's a fair point...if anybody ever claimed this is the way to go about it and is the only way to go about it. As of now, what you are arguing against is called a strawman - you made up the problem and shot it down to make it sound like you contributed. However, if this is not at all the way to merge boards, then your objection holds no water. It barely doesn't right now, considering this is a suggestion and you are arguing about implementation specifics which are 1. down to the site management 2. not set in stone as of right now 3. so far down the road from a mere suggestion that any implication of the opposite is laughable.

reiko sawamura posted...
How would you differentiate between games that have been re-released on newer systems with updated content?

Is it literally the same game name on the new system but has radically different content from another system? I don't know if there even are any like that. I can think of stuff like Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma released on PC with more stuff but to my knowledge the same content was available on consoles, too - it was just bundled up in the PC release. And I really can't think of a good reason to separate the PC Dark Souls from the console Dark Souls given that they have the same gameplay and content. The only differences worth mentioning are easily dealt with using tags.

Let's compare this to the vastly fragmented current state where you might want to discuss something common to all versions of a game (story, or how to beat a certain challenge, etc) and you might have five different boards to go to for...no real reason. And I do mean five - PC, Linux, Mac (three separate boards), Xbox One, PS4 is really too much. You can even have more with more consoles. I've not checked but I really doubt each and every topic on each separate board can never exist on a different board for the same game.

But let's get back to what you said - are there really games that have the same name, are considered to be the same game but have little to nothing in common with the same title on a different platform? Do note that we already have games with the same name but quite different content already - for example, there is Prey (2006) and Prey (2017) - the two are sort of the same series but not really and have essentially nothing in common. But I doubt anybody would go around and merge the two as they are considered two different entities. So, are you saying that there are different incarnations of literally the same game that are as different as the two Prey games and yet still considered the same title thus liable to a bad merge? If so, I imagine the solution is to not merge them - if the games are that different, I don't think anybody in their right mind would lump them together.

reiko sawamura posted...
What about games that saw HD re-releases with updated content?

What about them? Make one entry for the base game and one for the HD title. Sure, it's two boards but it's much better than 10+ different boards.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: SNS

SNS
2 months ago#55
There is a precedent for the loss of old active and archived topics. For the 3DS and Wii U systems, a board for a potential Mario game was created early on. But then when an actual Mario game was announced, it seems the administrator forgot that he made those boards and new ones were made (and then the old ones were deleted). I had some of these boards for years in the favorites of some of my accounts (clicking on them after deletion would result in an error message).

The same thing may even happen to the current Pokémon board on the Switch if the administrator forgets it exists when the gen 8 games are announced (I have a feeling the only reason it wasn't renamed "Let's Go Pikachu" was because the administrator forgot the board existed).
"A bear stole my glory! He looked a bit like you!"

Eevee-Trainer
2 months ago#56
I'm 90% sure that board wasn't renamed, because it was meant for the 2019 title that was also announced. Let's Go was a separate thing.
See me on Discord! ^.^

User Info: DarkUser

DarkUser
2 months ago#57
*signs*

User Info: _Marka_Ragnos_

_Marka_Ragnos_
2 months ago#58
SuperVegito2487 posted...
*Sign*

The differences are why they SHOULD be merged.. otherwise some people playing on the less popular device could easily have problems getting help for version exclusive issues

Example: Just Cause 3 had a ram leak on pc. Pc board was dead. Ps4 board was active but since its a pc issue any topics about it would likely be removed if asked on the ps4 board.

This is a big problem. Generally speaking, the only active board is almost always the PS4 board for any game.
My Home Theater: https://imgur.com/a/la41r

User Info: ltachi

ltachi
1 month ago#59
Signs.
~peaceful 'sharingan' user~

User Info: Notti

Notti
1 month ago#60
SNS posted...
There is a precedent for the loss of old active and archived topics. For the 3DS and Wii U systems, a board for a potential Mario game was created early on. But then when an actual Mario game was announced, it seems the administrator forgot that he made those boards and new ones were made (and then the old ones were deleted). I had some of these boards for years in the favorites of some of my accounts (clicking on them after deletion would result in an error message).

The same thing may even happen to the current Pokémon board on the Switch if the administrator forgets it exists when the gen 8 games are announced (I have a feeling the only reason it wasn't renamed "Let's Go Pikachu" was because the administrator forgot the board existed).

Even if that were true, it's quite far fetched to think it would happen with any sort of merge solution today.
https://youtube.com/TheYoungTurks
http://RightWingWatch.org/ https://DemocraticUnderground.com/?com=latest_threads https://reddit.com/r/The_Mueller/new
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Merge separate boards for the same game
  • Topic Closed