Change the format of character battles to prevent the same outcome every year

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Change the format of character battles to prevent the same outcome every year

User Info: INTERWEBUSER

INTERWEBUSER
1 week ago#1
Some two dozen best character/game/series contests over the last 20 years have resulted in only 2 possible outcomes:

1) Some external community floods the polls and a relatively obscure character/game wins (L Block, Draven, Undertale). Happens less than 20% of the time, but when it does, lots of brackets get screwed over, and controversy erupts.

2) No major outside influence means Link/OOT/TLOZ wins for the 100th time. Plenty of B8 representation on the leaderboard but then everyone’s bored of the same outcome.

Is the management going to do anything different this time, by implementing rule changes to discourage the above two outcomes? I’ve noticed the enthusiasm for these contests has largely diminished outside of B8 and its contest statisticians. People are eager for something new.

Rules may be as simple as limiting characters to those introduced after 2000, or has not won any previous contests, etc.
PLAYSTATION: GREATNESS AWAITS
PS4: Console of the Year 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

User Info: DiduXD

DiduXD
1 week ago#2
*signs*
Forget what you've already won and focus on the current match. Main FC: 4313-5212-1176 IGN Matthew
If we all hold on together, our dreams will never die.

User Info: FarplaneDragon

FarplaneDragon
1 week ago#3
This gets brought up every single year, and every single year the answer is no. There's no need to take a just for fun popularity contest so damn seriously. If they decide to limit the character selection to a theme that's not likely to happen from a petition from this board. Likewise, like it or not as was discussed endlessly by the admins when undertale won, there's no rules against going to outside sides for support provided they're not using scripts/bots/cheating.
Don't try to think we can understand each other. For some reason, people think that they can do that. Remember that they can't. Never completely. Never enough.

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
1 week ago#4
I'll sign.
Though it doesn't bother me quite as much if the same characters/games win, but I don't think I ever heard of Undertale much less looked it up. Though I was with most of the community in that I was very surprised some odd game won.
Our kitty has left to be with the Lord.
RIP Rascal, March 12, 2016. We miss you dearly...

User Info: HipsterSora

HipsterSora
1 week ago#5
*sign*
I think there should be a focus on new characters. Like Sora is a recurring example for KH, but for KH3 a character that broke twitter was Aquanort
Loves of my Life: Sora and Namine | Reading Jojolion
'It is well known that the Heartless harbor an intense hatred of shirts.' -keybladesrus
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Philip027

Philip027
1 week ago#6
I do think that once something has won it shouldn't be able to enter the running again, just to make some attempt to keep things fresh.

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
6 days ago#7
FarplaneDragon posted...
This gets brought up every single year, and every single year the answer is no. There's no need to take a just for fun popularity contest so damn seriously. If they decide to limit the character selection to a theme that's not likely to happen from a petition from this board. Likewise, like it or not as was discussed endlessly by the admins when undertale won, there's no rules against going to outside sides for support provided they're not using scripts/bots/cheating.
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/qavbtaQ

User Info: MrMegaPhoenix

MrMegaPhoenix
5 days ago#8
signs

i don't mind "outside websites" influencing the poll, as its traffic to gamefaqs and maybe people will stick around. thats fine

but i absolutely would be happy with disqualifying past winners. Not simply because "its boring seeing Cloud/Link or FF7/OoT get near the finals so often", but because choosing your brackets largely amounts to working backwards from picking those. Thats the part that is less fun.

when there are less obvious winners, theres more unpredictability. That is the kind of thing that will lead to more contest entries and more (not less) traffic to gamefaqs, so i support that format as it helps gamefaqs. The same old same old? less people would "care" because they "know" the conclusion.
Now Playing: Beyond the Beyond
Last Finished: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Change the format of character battles to prevent the same outcome every year

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.