• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. More ways to search for topics

User Info: HipsterSora

HipsterSora
2 months ago#1
Ever have that problem where you know a topic exists, but simply can't find it? Multiple search terms, all in a vain attempt to guess which word was in the topic title? I think most of us do, and there are some pretty simple solutions to this problem I feel. Not all have to be implemented, or multiple could be.

1) Make topics searchable by TC username. For instance if you were to go to the KH3 board and search "hipstersora" you'd find many guides by me, if this were implemented. If you were to just search hipster right now, you'd find a few megaposts of which I labeled "hipster" in the title specifically to have an easy time finding it later.

2) If the above is too intrusive, perhaps just your own username could be searchable. OR you could check off on your name being searchable by no one, by friends, by followers, by users, or by anyone on the site, all in your privacy settings. Seems like a win-win to me.

3) Creating tags for topics. This would be entirely TC's responsibility if they want tags, but when posting a message there would be a third box in which you could put tags. People often make their topic title completely unfindable by relevant search terms by mistake, but this would bypass that. For instance, when new trailers come out you'll see a lot of topics like "I can't believe this new reveal" or "I don't want to buy this game anymore" and such. If you were to search what the reveal actually was, those topics wouldn't be included with the current system.

I suggest when signing or anti-signing, you number your signs and such. A 1, 2, 3, and general idea sorta thing.
Loves of my Life: Sora and Namine | Reading Jojolion
'It is well known that the Heartless harbor an intense hatred of shirts.' -keybladesrus

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
2 months ago#2
1. *signs* Seems like a good idea.

2. *anti-sign* there is no reason for users to dictate how the search functionality works beyond the content they post. Being able to say "make this unsearchable" shouldn't be under user control.

3. *anti-sign* I don't think this really resolves the problem. If a TC is making a topic and for one reason or another they don't have a title that is easily searchable, why would they add any useful tags? Either they won't or if the tags are mandatory, they might put in anything there just to be able to post.

Furthermore, if tags are completely user-driven, as in, anybody can make new ones, then there is a good risk that many irrelevant joke tags would be created which further harms the search result relevance.

If tags instead come from a pre-selected list, then there is a good chance a topic might be applicable to none of them, which will make the topic harder to search for. Or instead, a tag might be too broad.

Then, assuming tags aren't free for any user to add, there is the whole thing of who is responsible to look after tags and what the process of making changes to the list is.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: FarplaneDragon

FarplaneDragon
2 months ago#3
#1 has been pretty much disliked/shot down almost every single time it's brought up.

#2 I can't think of a reason why I'd do that over just checking my post history

#3 This never pans out because it's typically ruined by trolls. See tags on steam for example.
Don't try to think we can understand each other. For some reason, people think that they can do that. Remember that they can't. Never completely. Never enough.

User Info: HipsterSora

HipsterSora
2 months ago#4
FarplaneDragon posted...
#1 has been pretty much disliked/shot down almost every single time it's brought up.

#2 I can't think of a reason why I'd do that over just checking my post history

I imagine 1 is shot down or disliked because they don't want people digging up their old topics so easily, which the setting in #2 corrects. You won't be able to find your own topics in your post history if you post a decent amount either, or if its just from a long time ago relatively.
Loves of my Life: Sora and Namine | Reading Jojolion
'It is well known that the Heartless harbor an intense hatred of shirts.' -keybladesrus

User Info: palatinae

palatinae
2 months ago#5
HipsterSora posted...
1) Make topics searchable by TC username.

Yes please.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. More ways to search for topics
  • Topic Archived