• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Time to bring the boards to the 20th century?

User Info: EliteC

EliteC
5 months ago#1
I see there have been some welcome updates to the boards, thanks.

But now the board’s shortcomings and their outdated system are even more painfully obvious. Here are some examples:

- the character limit for a “word”. This is a remnant from the times that most websites had urls like www.geocities.com or www.altavista.com . But now URLs are complex and long. I can’t even count how many times (dozens!) I have tried to post a link to a news story only to get the character limit warning prevent me from doing so.

Try having to go to tinyurl and copy & paste their stuff using a mobile phone, it’s really annoying. Plus URL shorteners were moddable not long ago?

I get it, this is a remnant from from browsers couldn’t handle long “words”, but now they can.

- “no more than X quotes in your message”:

Imagine you’re in a heated debate and quote somebody and post a good argument only to... get a silly warning that prevents you from doing so because there are too many quotes. I never understood this one.

Now it makes less sense since you have a feature that pretty much hides the entire message you’re responding to if it has more than a couple quotes. This makes the “message has too many quotes” warning unecessary.

- it’s 2018, URLS are a thing:

I have posted URLs here countless times only to have the gamefaqs system somehow convert my alphanumeric URL into a bunch of weird symbols and emojis that make the URL unusable (I am using mobile). This is inexcusable.

- character limit per message:

It’s very short. You might as well reduce it to Twitter levels! Seriously increase this limit

EliteC
5 months ago#2
Yes I know I said 20th century... as in 1990

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
5 months ago#3
I'd be okay with the extended word limit, but I see no point in removing the quote limit. Does the entire conversation really need to be quoted in every post?

In case you didn't know, you can highlight any portion of text in a post you like, then hit quote to only quote that portion of text. Works wonders with creating a new quote chain while maintaining the same conversation.

EliteC posted...
it’s 2018, URLS are a thing:

I have posted URLs here countless times only to have the gamefaqs system somehow convert my alphanumeric URL into a bunch of weird symbols and emojis that make the URL unusable (I am using mobile). This is inexcusable.

I exclusively use mobile for browsing, but I've never had this happen, so I can't comment.

EliteC posted...
- character limit per message:

It’s very short. You might as well reduce it to Twitter levels! Seriously increase this limit

Twitter is what, 140 characters? This sites limit is nearly 10 times that, maybe more, I haven't seen it in a while.

It's definitely large enough that raising it wouldn't be necessary imo.

I would however like to see a feature implemented that condensed all "featured" posts in a sticky topic to a single OP, even if it surpassed the word limit. It would make them far easier to use, especially when it's 10+ posts with random other users sprinkled in.

I hope you know what I'm trying to say.
"Sorry, sorry, just... Being a dick... Sometimes it's hard to resist the urge to ruin other people's lives...
-William Murderface

EliteC
5 months ago#4
Lord_Wombat posted...
I'd be okay with the extended word limit, but I see no point in removing the quote limit. Does the entire conversation really need to be quoted in every post?

In case you didn't know, you can highlight any portion of text in a post you like, then hit quote to only quote that portion of text. Works wonders with creating a new quote chain while maintaining the same conversation.

The “click here to see rest of the post” thing makes it inecessary.

As for highlighting to quote... it only works sometimes for me

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
5 months ago#5
EliteC posted...
Lord_Wombat posted...

The “click here to see rest of the post” thing makes it inecessary.

As for highlighting to quote... it only works sometimes for me

I hit "post" by accident on my last post, I edited in more. Anyway...

The "click here" bit doesn't really change anything I've said, so I maintain my stance against it. There's simply no reason to have dozens of copies of the same exact conversation, with only a small bit added.

Not sure why the selective quoting only works sometimes for you. If you're positive it's not your phone (which I'm almost positive is the case) I'd suggest putting in a feedback ticket.
"Sorry, sorry, just... Being a dick... Sometimes it's hard to resist the urge to ruin other people's lives...
-William Murderface

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
5 months ago#6
Twitter is what, 140 characters? This sites limit is nearly 10 times that, maybe more, I haven't seen it in a while.

For the record: Twitter is 280 now IIRC, and GameFAQs is 4,096 (4 KB). So closer to a factor of 15.

That said I'm more or less in agreement with Wombat here. Though to recollection the quote limitation was made because of the walls of text that eventually got made, which the hiding feature has solved, so I'm more indifferent to removing the limitation in that respect.
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/V7hzcXd

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
5 months ago#7
Eevee-Trainer posted...

For the record: Twitter is 280 now IIRC, and GameFAQs is 4,096 (4 KB). So closer to a factor of 15.

Yep. I would definitely sign on the removal of the character limit. For one it's weird. Or not that weird if you know about it - not intuitive, though. Some characters actually take up MORE bytes than what you'd think. So a long post that hits the limit might have a lot less than 4k characters. For example, newlines take up several bytes, as do some stuff like double quotes (IIRC).

The limit isn't really needed. It's rare that it comes up. Even when it does, it's just an inconvenience for no good reason for users. Really long posts that are useless would just be ignored. If somebody needs to post something long, they'd just multi-post anyway.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Time to bring the boards to the 20th century?
  • Topic Archived