• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Display user level beside username on each post header, or highlight provisional

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
8 months ago#1
Suggestion:
I'm suggesting/petitioning for a minor change to the board layout options, by adding an option that will display each user's level next to their name on each post, similarly to how "(Topic Creator)" is currently shown. This could be simply set as an option in board settings, and off by default if necessary, but I believe it could be useful in determining how much merit to give certain topics or posts. If this is not possible/likely, some method to automatically identify all posts by provisional accounts would be highly useful. This identification could be removed once an account passes into "New User" or "Regular" levels, but could help easily highlight topics that may more likely be intended to troll, phish, etc.

Reasoning:
New, provisional "throwaway" accounts are frequently created by people looking to cause problems on the forums, whether by creating troll topics, sharing questionable links disguised through sites like bit.ly, and so on. While many of us (board users) are smart enough to check into things like this before just blindly clicking a link, many may not be. I recognize that you can check any poster's user level by clicking their name and viewing the little drop-down, but this does take extra time and is a step many people don't take. It's also unrealistic to click to check each and every user before you respond. Other information, such as karma level, account creation date, active posts, etc. aren't necessary for quick glance, and are fine remaining in the drop-down.

Some method to obviously and immediately identify posts from provisional accounts could provide users with a much-needed ability to recognize probable troll topics or posts. This should not harm legitimate new provisional accounts, as they typically progress to New User rather quickly as long as they are not moderated. This also does not seem like it would require any significant re-design of the site since all of the base functionality seems to be available.

I won't feel hurt if this idea is shot down, but being able to identify provisional account posts without clicking anything extra (even new topics from provisional accounts on the topic list) could be useful.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: ironyisntdead

ironyisntdead
8 months ago#2
Anti-sign.

I get what you're saying, but I feel this will add a stigma to new users--users will be able to more easily troll newbies whether a newbie is genuine or not.
You havent set a signature for the message boards yet

User Info: FarplaneDragon

FarplaneDragon
8 months ago#3
Never, in like 20 years of being online have I come across a site whose user base is so incapable of dealing with trolls as this one. You people do it to yourselves.
Don't try to think we can understand each other. For some reason, people think that they can do that. Remember that they can't. Never completely. Never enough.

KillerTruffle
8 months ago#4
ironyisntdead posted...
Anti-sign.

I get what you're saying, but I feel this will add a stigma to new users--users will be able to more easily troll newbies whether a newbie is genuine or not.

I thought about that... however, a legitimate provisional account shouldn't last more than 3 days or so, no? A provisional account with at least 3 karma becomes a New User (15), and I'm not suggesting this identification be extended to New User ranks.

OK, well, one of my suggested options would - if you can see everyone's level easily, it makes it easier to stigmatize. That's actually not a bad argument against visible levels across the board, and I get your point. I somewhat agree, as I really don't want to make life harder for new legit users.

It still seems like it would at least be useful to have provisional accounts - levels 10-14 - easily identified due to how frequently they seem to be abused for trolling and things like that. Legitimate accounts should have 3 karma in 3 days, assuming no problems, and progress to New User where they're no longer highlighted. Do you think fallout against legitimate provisional accounts during those three days would actually be bad enough to not even highlight those? (I mean, I know yeah, this is GameFAQS, but still...)

I've just been seeing what seems to be a notable increase in provisional accounts being used to troll ever since the moderation rules relaxed, and it would be useful to be able to quickly identify provisional posters without having to click on each TC's name when a topic looks suspicious.

KillerTruffle
8 months ago#5
FarplaneDragon posted...
Never, in like 20 years of being online have I come across a site whose user base is so incapable of dealing with trolls as this one. You people do it to yourselves.

Also granted (again... this is GFAQs. heh).

What prompted me to make this suggestion in the first place was a provisional user who posted a seemingly innocent topic with a bit.ly link in it. A normal user posting like that isn't a big concern, because GFAQs has like an 80-character word limit, so links longer than that can't be posted. URL shorteners aren't unusual - but you can't tell what a lot of them are. This particular link went to a shady "cashforeveryone" site or something like that - determined using a third-party preview system rather than actually following the link. The topic itself seemed to be crafted to trick people into clicking. Several other people actually clicked the link though, and could potentially have gotten some malware... don't know. That topic was since moderated and deleted, but the problem remains. Provisional accounts are fast and easy to make, so it's easy to spam the board with them. If the TC's account had been highlighted from the start, it could have acted as a red flag to be much more cautious with following any links posted, etc.

Every user is still responsible for their own browsing, what links they follow, etc., of course, but it seems like there should still be some way GFAQs could help with that, and this seems like one possibility is all.

User Info: MoistenedYouth

MoistenedYouth
8 months ago#6
anti-sign

this will not change anything other than to encourage harassment of new user.
a fan of scotty fan who fancy scotty fanfic

User Info: gmo7897

gmo7897
8 months ago#7
User levels - maybe considered, though I would highly doubt that. That information is readily available by just clicking on the user’s username (or is it just hovering? Can’t remember as I’m rarely on a desktop on this site).

Highlighting new accounts - I can almost guarantee that won’t happen. There’s no reason to single people out for making new accounts. All that would do is discourage people from making a new account to ask a question or join the community because it draws an immediate target: “this person is new and should not be taken seriously”.

If people would learn that trolls get their kicks by watching other people respond to their posts and don’t care about how many accounts they have to make, and then take the action (or inaction) to just stop responding, the problem would eventually fix itself.
All Things Final Fantasy: http://gmo7897.com/s/atff
There are some walks you have to take alone.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Display user level beside username on each post header, or highlight provisional
  • Topic Archived