Implement level restrictions for ability to make notifications/mentions

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Implement level restrictions for ability to make notifications/mentions

User Info: BanjoDude98

BanjoDude98
4 months ago#1
I read through the Site Suggestion Faqs before posting this, so I think this is okay to post this suggestion. If not, I apologize and this thread can be deleted.

As I'm sure many of the mods and admins are familiar with, Gamefaqs has issues on the boards regarding users creating alt accounts for the purpose of trolling/harassing users. I'm not sure myself how many often this occurs on some boards, but it seems extremely prominent on the Nintendo Switch system board.

Several times a day, new provisional users will crop up, making either a topic or posting within one, and do this to troll other users with the @ mentions. I myself haven't experienced this often, but I see some make a post and use it to notify the same users repeatedly, sometimes upwards of half a dozen or more per post. Of course, the mods get around within the hour to suspend these users and delete the topics/posts, but that doesn't keep them from creating a new account to repeat the process again.

I'd have to imagine this grows tiresome, on both the moderators of the boards and the people who are constantly being mentioned.

An improvement I would like to suggest to the boards that would help alleviate this issue would be to implement user-level restrictions on when they have the ability to use mentions. I would suggest that if such an improvement were implemented, that it be set so that only Rookie Users (Karma = 25+) or Novice Users (Karma = 50+) have this ability.

Thank you very much for your time.
"The way you type reminds me of someone who would eat meat." - Retrowire commenting on himself
Please understand Mr. Iwata, you will be dearly missed

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
4 months ago#2
I think this would be a great compromise, as i had mentioned in the other thread. Too many people don't want mentions and while I didn't specifically "anti sign" the last petition, I clearly stated I like the mentions feature and have been against previous attempts to shut it down.

But what you suggest would be perfect. People can get hit with trolling or harrassment, sure. But making new accounts gets around it. I would actually suggest a 50 karma minimum at the very least. I think it would be a good start and make a lot of people happy.

So yeah,
Signs. :)
Our kitty has left to be with the Lord.
RIP Rascal, March 12, 2016. We miss you dearly...

User Info: ironyisntdead

ironyisntdead
4 months ago#3
*signs*
You havent set a signature for the message boards yet

User Info: DragonAtma

DragonAtma
4 months ago#4
The real answer is to crack down on alt account abuse, but two 500-post topics showed that SBAllen is not ready to do so, so we're stuck with stopgap measures.

*signs*
In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
Ceterum autem censeo Gamefaqs separandam esse.

User Info: Androobie007

Androobie007
4 months ago#5
I haven't had any personal experience with this, but it makes a lot of sense!

*signs*

User Info: jon davis

jon davis
4 months ago#6
DragonAtma posted...
The real answer is to crack down on alt account abuse, but two 500-post topics showed that SBAllen is not ready to do so, so we're stuck with stopgap measures.

*signs*

It brings site traffic and ad revenue.
Strength is the only thing that matters in this world, everything else is just a delusion for the weak.

User Info: mohammed199999

mohammed199999
4 months ago#7
I think this is a great idea.

*signs*
3DS friend code 3539-8997-2521 IGN Shanil
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/cosmichero1996?type=posted

User Info: VGManiac456

VGManiac456
4 months ago#8
Sounds like a good idea of a fix to me.

*signs*
3DS FC: 2036-8148-4105 NNID/PSN: VGManiac456
Currently Playing: Whatever I feel like playing.

User Info: cutiepie-pogo

cutiepie-pogo
4 months ago#9
It sounds like a good way to cut down on harassment from alt accounts.

*signs*

User Info: snake_5036

snake_5036
4 months ago#10
Sign.

Those topics are quite annoying.
You felt your sins weighing down on your neck.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Implement level restrictions for ability to make notifications/mentions

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived