The option to filter out topics by newer users

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. The option to filter out topics by newer users

User Info: da_StoOge

da_StoOge
3 months ago#1
It might seem a drastic option, and maybe there's another way around it, but I'd really appreciate the option to filter out any topics created by users with accounts newer than one or two years.

The reason being so many of the boards I used to frequent are completely useless now as over 50% of new topics are created by troll accounts spamming some racist, sexist, or off topic nonsense. I tried placing the users on ignore but these accounts only last a week or two anyway before they just make a new one, so the ignore feature is ineffective.

If the option was added somewhere in our profile settings to filter out topics by any account created in the last year or two then this would cease to be an issue.
"Even though I'm no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?"

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
3 months ago#2
*anti-sign*

Just because an account is younger than a year doesn't imply that the user is necessarily bad; similarly, older users (10+ years on their accounts) comprise some of the site's longest-lived s***posters and trolls. Your suggestion doesn't address the issue and won't be effective, IMO.
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/V7hzcXd

User Info: DragonAtma

DragonAtma
3 months ago#3
I see no reason to filter out users newer than me, such as da_StoOge.

But seriously, some new members are sensible, some new members are nuts, some longtime members are sensible, and some longtime members are nuts. Using a flat "new people are filtered" filter would easily have as many problems as the No Fly List, which wrongly flagged people ranging from five-year-olds to Senator Ted Kennedy.

*anti-sign*
In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
Ceterum autem censeo Gamefaqs separandam esse.

User Info: da_StoOge

da_StoOge
3 months ago#4
I don't see what older users being trolls has to do with this proposed option. Older users that are trolls could simply be added to an ignore list. That's not an issue at all.

The issue, and it might only exist in a few boards, is that there's an influx of people creating new accounts to spam a few troll topics before they're perma banned.
And the issue is there's dozens of these users created seemingly every day, so ignoring them isn't an option.

Now, if that's not an issue for you then you'd need never use this proposed option, but if you frequent a board like the PS4 or Xbox One boards and are sick of the majority of topics being about SJW's, homophobic topics, sexist topics, or whatever other nonsense is popular at the time, then this would solve that issue entirely.

I'd rather ignore a handful of decent new users for a year than ignore entire message boards simply because they're over run with trolls. But if anyone can think of a better solution than I'm all for it.

In the end I just want to make it harder for people to create an account and ruin boards with frequent troll topics.
"Even though I'm no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?"

User Info: _Kaz

_Kaz
3 months ago#5
da_StoOge posted...
I'd rather ignore a handful of decent new users for a year than ignore entire message boards simply because they're over run with trolls. But if anyone can think of a better solution than I'm all for it.

In the end I just want to make it harder for people to create an account and ruin boards with frequent troll topics.

Enforce IP bans, move to a private board, make more stringent level-1 accounts (1 message/hour).
Fighter: "Mr Pibb", "Dr Pepper".. I'm onto you..
Kaz Fact: Welcome to Version 2.0!

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
3 months ago#6
I think modifying the ignore list would be a better option. I think it was brought up too. If a person closes their account, becomes inactive for longer than a certain period of time, and/or gets banned, these users should automatically should be removed from the block list (or have an option to do so).

Failing this, there should be an easy way to see what users are inactive or banned so one can remove those people from the ignore list.
Our kitty has left to be with the Lord.
RIP Rascal, March 12, 2016. We miss you dearly...

User Info: Slayer

Slayer
3 months ago#7
Nah

User Info: Happy1912

Happy1912
3 months ago#8
TriforceSD posted...
I think modifying the ignore list would be a better option. I think it was brought up too. If a person closes their account, becomes inactive for longer than a certain period of time, and/or gets banned, these users should automatically should be removed from the block list (or have an option to do so).

Failing this, there should be an easy way to see what users are inactive or banned so one can remove those people from the ignore list.

There is an easy way just go to the ignore list see who’s been banned and remove them. You should be able to see the users level with them being on ignore list.

So it’s up to the user to make sure to check the ignore list so they can track it.
FC 0361-6489-6518 Animal Crossing CB http://goo.gl/Q7QKaS 3DS XL FC 3755-2065-2060 Switch FC SW-1289-7377-4301

User Info: JoeNobody

JoeNobody
3 months ago#9
* anti signs * Karma =/= immaturity. Not all low karma users are reincarnations of trolls. Most of them are legitimate new users who are asking legitimate questions and legitimately contributing the the forum.
Here are my possible dice rolls (on GnT only):
1: Prize 2: Link 3: Joke 4: Challenge 5: Slime 6: Nothing

User Info: Devin Morgan

Devin Morgan
3 months ago#10
This will not happen.
Devin Morgan | CRP #3579
NES FAQ Completion Project:
http://faqs.retronintendo.com
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. The option to filter out topics by newer users

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived