Why is it so hard to save a text version of a guide?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Why is it so hard to save a text version of a guide?

User Info: SKARDAVNELNATE

SKARDAVNELNATE
3 months ago#1
Go to the FAQs tab of any game. Select any Guide.
Wait... is that an HTML formatted guide? Damn it! Start over.

Go to the FAQs tab of any game. Select any Guide that isn't HTML formatted.
Select View in: Text Mode
Save page as...
Save as type... Text Files
Save

Now look at what you saved. There's a bunch of garbage at the end of it. I use to be able to view an original version and save that. Why is GameFAQs making this so difficult?
No locked doors, no windows barred. No more things to make my brain seem SKARD.

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
3 months ago#2
You could just copy and paste the guide, if it's a text FAQ, or save the webpage, which should work for either.
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/V7hzcXd

SKARDAVNELNATE
3 months ago#3
Copy and Paste: Than means I need to create a new text document for each guide and highlight the desired text. There are additional steps to accomplish what was getting done automatically.

Save the webpage: That's actually worse. Even in Text Mode saving as a webpage results in garbage at top and the bottom.

User Info: _Kaz

_Kaz
3 months ago#4
Garbage at the top? You mean the HTML code and such?

The site used to have direct-linking to the TXT files, but that probably was abused by bots for other sites.

The only method I use now is via PC -- opening a new text document, switch to the browser and select-all, and after pasting, manually remove the clutter. Though I think some older FAQs had alignment issues (tabs versus spaces). A bit of effort for a quick go-to cheat-sheet, but for more detailed guides, it's this or take the "DRM" of always having your browser open to the website.
Fighter: "Mr Pibb", "Dr Pepper".. I'm onto you..
Kaz Fact: Welcome to Version 2.0!

User Info: Unown_201

Unown_201
3 months ago#5
Is there a reason it has to be text file? I use the print to PDF option in chrome when I want a local copy of something. It keeps any formatting and is much more convenient.
"Knowledge is knowing the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both ways anyway."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1282-alternative-science-and-history

SKARDAVNELNATE
3 months ago#6
Mainly I don't want HTML because I don't want to save the ads with it. There are also some guides that need editing for readability.

User Info: Krystal109

Krystal109
3 months ago#7
Sorry that it's not easy for you to copy other's content. Think about it this way, the authors might not want to have their work easily taken and then posted on other sites. The little inconvenience for you to view it offline is worth it to them.

SKARDAVNELNATE
3 months ago#8
Krystal109 posted...
Sorry that it's not easy for you to copy other's content. Think about it this way, the authors might not want to have their work easily taken and then posted on other sites. The little inconvenience for you to view it offline is worth it to them.

I said nothing about posting it on other sites. I am trying to store them alongside my game collection for offline use.

User Info: ZoqFotPik

ZoqFotPik
3 months ago#9
SKARDAVNELNATE posted...
Krystal109 posted...

I said nothing about posting it on other sites. I am trying to store them alongside my game collection for offline use.

Same issue. If it was easy for you it would be easy for them too.
I am not the FOT!
~~the Zoq, the Fot & the Pik~~

User Info: FarplaneDragon

FarplaneDragon
3 months ago#10
Ugh...why doesn't the site cater to the way I want to do things...
Don't try to think we can understand each other. For some reason, people think that they can do that. Remember that they can't. Never completely. Never enough.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Why is it so hard to save a text version of a guide?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived