Add the archive date in an active topic

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Add the archive date in an active topic

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
1 month ago#11
I totally agree with this.

HUGE HUGE signs...

I know some people are against this because of "fears of going to 500 more often" but I think it would do more good than annoyance.

I've had a few topics over the years where I would post in them as I came across more information, even though it was semi dead board. With no others adding to the discussion, it was up to me to keep it alive if I wanted to add more info later. Well, I guess there were less visits and the purge rate changed and it archived before my next post.

There are times when it would be nice to know when it purges. Sometimes I don't have time to write a whole lot but if i know the topic is still there tomorrow or whatever, I'll just post it tomorrow.

Again, I think it's more good than negative. I think disruptive posting and such will take care of people abusing this.
So yeah...i'd love to see this feature.
Our kitty has left to be with the Lord.
RIP Rascal, March 12, 2016. We miss you dearly...

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
1 month ago#12
I specifically posted this as a separate post.

I think this idea would gain more traction on GAME and SYSTEM boards, where this would be more helpful. No need to mess with it on social or private boards. The big goal of avoiding topic purges is to add helpful info, and on social boards, this could lead to problems.

Edit: @SNS. You do have a good point to do this on community boards also. You answered GMO's question better than I could. Organization is probably the best reason. It's also why I wish dead boards had a longer archive schedule. Not sure why these ideas kept getting shot down, as this archive extension idea is not new either.

@gmo7897. Would doing this on certain boards be enough to alleviate the concerns of people mass bumping? Some topics have served their purpose and should be archived. I think the TC was thinking along the lines of not just so the board looks cleaner, but to keep the facts organized.
Our kitty has left to be with the Lord.
RIP Rascal, March 12, 2016. We miss you dearly...
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: ironyisntdead

ironyisntdead
1 month ago#13
I'm not interested in having a second timestamp, but I agree to extending the time it takes for a topic to archive/purge.
You havent set a signature for the message boards yet

User Info: FarplaneDragon

FarplaneDragon
1 month ago#14
ironyisntdead posted...
I'm not interested in having a second timestamp, but I agree to extending the time it takes for a topic to archive/purge.

Admins have stated several times now they don't intend to change purge rates at this point in time.
Don't try to think we can understand each other. For some reason, people think that they can do that. Remember that they can't. Never completely. Never enough.

User Info: Slayer

Slayer
1 month ago#15
No need to change purge rates. Having an archived date is helpful though. I doubt anyone checks the archive rate list or remembers it.

User Info: Lord_Shadow

Lord_Shadow
4 weeks ago#16
Signs
GT My Lord Shadow :3DS FC 0791 2649 3488

User Info: Emulator

Emulator
2 weeks ago#17
*anti-signs*

Not useful. It's better to get them archived. User can always create a new topic for the same purpose.
"It is not death I'm feared of, I'm just feared of doing nothing in life." - Emulator
http://karma.hardcore-tm.com/?user=Emulator

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
2 weeks ago#18
*sign*
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/V7hzcXd

User Info: TheFifthPerson

TheFifthPerson
2 weeks ago#19
Emulator posted...
*anti-signs*

Not useful. It's better to get them archived. User can always create a new topic for the same purpose.

This is sort of my thinking. Archiving is deliberate, the idea is to remove topics that are inactive whilst still preserving their content for users to view. The only people I can see benefiting from this are the tiny minority of users who bump topics to stop this occurring, usually for social reasons. Also this would probably add an additional psychological trigger for a topic creator to bump their topic. Archiving is something that happens in the background. Pulling it into the foreground like this will surely only increase the number of topics that get bumped beyond their natural lifetimes.

Overall, this just doesn't feel like something that would benefit the average user at all, and is probably quite confusing. GameFAQs benefits from its 'clean' interface, I don't want anything else cluttering that.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Add the archive date in an active topic

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.