• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Thoughts on Pokemon Spin-offs
Hardcoremash 6 months ago#1
Thoughts on Pokemon Spin-offs

I've been wondering this for a while: does anyone else play the spinoff games anymore? I've been playing new ones like Mystery Dungeon DX and old ones like Pokken Tournament a lot. I actually started getting into Pokemon in general thanks to the spinoffs since 2005. Tbh, I find the spinoffs better than the main series; there's just more variety to what games you have and it's not always the same "collect all 8/7 gym badges/Z Crystals, fight evil team, then take on Pokemon League" formula with the gameplay. Plus, they can have good storytelling unlike the main series. But what does everyone else think? Tell me what spinoff games you've played and if you like them or not!
Hardcoremash 5 months ago#2
Btw, I started with one of the Gameboy Advance Video games (I want to say Johto Photo Finish?) when I first got into Pokemon, and I would say that XD: Gale of Darkness is my favorite in the series period. (games like the Mystery Dungeon series and the Ranger series are also high up there imo)
StewieGriffin23 5 months ago#3
The only ones I really hold in equal regard to the mainline games are Mystery Dungeon, the Stadium games, Colosseum, and XD.

I've heard good things about Conquest, but I've never played it.
Put this in your signature if you agree Gen 4 is the best gen.
https://kallofox345.deviantart.com
Hardcoremash 5 months ago#4
StewieGriffin23 posted...
The only ones I really hold in equal regard to the mainline games are Mystery Dungeon, the Stadium games, Colosseum, and XD.

I've heard good things about Conquest, but I've never played it.
Interesting choices! Conquest is a game that I would recommend trying out just to see if you'd like it. To play it without buying it, use a DS emulator like Citra for PC/laptop or if you want to play on your phone, Free DS For Android is a relatively good free option, but DraStic is considered the best DS emulator although it does cost $4.99 on the mobile market.
vashkey 4 months ago#5
I like the main series far more. But most of the spinoffs I played were before gen 4. Pokemon Pinball 2 and Pokemon Snap were great. I didnt play the original Pokemon Pinball or Pokemon Puzzle league to form an opinion but they seemed decent at least. Never knew what the hell to do in Hey! You, Pikachu. I didnt really care much for Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 outside of playing the Gameboy games on my television and the minigames. Pokemon Colosseum was a huge disappointment. I havent got far in New Pokemon Snap but its not as fun for me was the original was. Feels less puzzle like and Im really not a fan of the challenges and pushing to constantly replay levels. Feels a step away from a live service game but Ive barely played so I could be misjudging. Ill get back to it eventually. Oh and Pokemon Go is good but flawed.

None of the spin offs I havent played interest me in the least.
Hardcoremash 4 months ago#6
vashkey posted...
I like the main series far more. But most of the spinoffs I played were before gen 4. Pokemon Pinball 2 and Pokemon Snap were great. I didnt play the original Pokemon Pinball or Pokemon Puzzle league to form an opinion but they seemed decent at least. Never knew what the hell to do in Hey! You, Pikachu. I didnt really care much for Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 outside of playing the Gameboy games on my television and the minigames. Pokemon Colosseum was a huge disappointment. I havent got far in New Pokemon Snap but its not as fun for me was the original was. Feels less puzzle like and Im really not a fan of the challenges and pushing to constantly replay levels. Feels a step away from a live service game but Ive barely played so I could be misjudging. Ill get back to it eventually. Oh and Pokemon Go is good but flawed.

None of the spin offs I havent played interest me in the least.
Fair enough. I at least would recommend giving New Pokemon Snap more time to enjoy. I agree that in some aspects it pales compared to the original game, but I still largely found it pretty fun. Thanks for telling me your experiences, bro!
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Thoughts on Pokemon Spin-offs
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A