This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about the Move Reminder mechanics...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Question about the Move Reminder mechanics...

User Info: Master Of Majora

Master Of Majora
2 months ago#1
OK, something strange happened today. I'm sure there's a logic explanation to this, but I can't figure it out.

I bred a Magikarp and trained it until it evolved into Gyarados. I continued to train it until it had learned all its Level Up Moves, erasing Splash and Tackle along the way (which only Magikarp learns). Now, for some reason, the Move Reminder allowed this Gyarados to relearn Splash (but not Tackle).

I also trained the in-game traded Magikarp (nicknamed Carpe Diem). I did the same thing, trained it into a Gyarados, eventually erased Splash and Tackle, and went to the Move Reminder. However, I wasn't allowed to relearn Splash or Tackle.

What the heck? Both started as a Magikarp with Splash, they kept the move while evolving, I later erased it, but still they were treated differently at the Move Reminder?

Obviously, I don't have any reasons to relearn Splash, but I'd still like to know the mechanics behind this, since it could potentially affect other Pokémon with the same principle.

EDIT: This was all done in the Y version. OR/AS wasn't involved at all.
Enjoy everything.
Forget everything.

User Info: genestealer

genestealer
2 months ago#2
AFAIK if either of the following conditions is fulfilled, the move will be available at the move relearner:
-The move is in the pokemon's level-up moves list
-The move is an egg move

If both parents have the same move (Splash in this case), it will be treated as an egg move even if it's not in the baby's egg move list. I strongly suspect this is the reason, since Gyarados doesn't have Splash or Tackle as a level-up move.

Master Of Majora
2 months ago#3
Thanks for the input. I suspected breeding had something to do with it.

However, the first Magikarp mentioned was bred with a Ditto. It is possible the other parent had Splash while breeding, but I don't remember. But it's strange, in this case, that Tackle wasn't passed on. Could it be that Splash is an unconfirmed Egg Move for Magikarp? After all, parents breeding with Ditto can pass on Egg Moves in Gen 6.

Maybe the Starter Move(s) a bred Pokémon has, or at least its first Starter Move, always is enabled at the Move Reminder, even after evolving? Normally, the Starter Moves a Pokémon has are learned by the evolved forms as well, even though there are exceptions (like Wynaut, I think). Maybe I should try breeding a few Wynauts and see what happens when taking Wobbuffets to the Move Reminder.
Enjoy everything.
Forget everything.

Master Of Majora
2 months ago#4
Found an interesting explanation in post #4 in this topic:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/210930-pokemon-ultra-sun/76450420

It's basically what you said, genestealer. I think.
Enjoy everything.
Forget everything.

User Info: genestealer

genestealer
2 months ago#5
If either Magikarp was below level 15 when you put it in at the breeders, it wouldn't have learned Tackle yet (both would have to know it). And starting from gen 6, only the moveset pokemon have when you put them in is used for passing on moves, i.e. forced learning/forgetting moves from leveling makes no difference to the egg.

Master Of Majora posted...
Maybe I should try breeding a few Wynauts and see what happens when taking Wobbuffets to the Move Reminder.
I think you'd have to evolve them before breeding. But yeah, it should be able to learn it's pre-evo moves from the relearner if it gets them as egg moves.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Question about the Move Reminder mechanics...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived