This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What do you think of this?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. What do you think of this?

User Info: Antasma1

Antasma1
4 months ago#1
Let's say I go to the Battle Maison and start with a ghost type. (Cause I like their imunity) Then I pick a dark type because dark and ghost type moves are super effective against ghost types, but weak against dark types. Then finally, I'll pick poison because dark types hate bug, fighting, and fairy types, but they're all weak against poison types. And would it benefit to reverse the order?

User Info: Thard_Verad

Thard_Verad
4 months ago#2
Poison is only supereffective against Grass and Fairy. I don't think Bug or Fighting resist Poison, but you'd do just as well with Ghost.

In fact, that idea really limits your offensive coverage options.
"Many in harmony surpass one in perfection." - Guildmaster, Etrian Odyssey II

Antasma1
4 months ago#3
Thard_Verad posted...
Poison is only supereffective against Grass and Fairy. I don't think Bug or Fighting resist Poison, but you'd do just as well with Ghost.

In fact, that idea really limits your offensive coverage options.

Bug, fighting, and fairy types do half damage to poison. I done all this in mind because I put defensive first with the idea that movesets aren't limited to typing. For example, Metagross vs Mr. Mime. Piece of cake. *Mr. Mime use shadow ball*

User Info: ghost_tails

ghost_tails
4 months ago#4
Type advantages aren't as big a deal in competitive Pokemon as you might think, and while the Battle Maison isn't exactly competitive, it's not that far off from the typical XY meta. More important than type advantages is the role of each team member, that is, what their main purpose is. At high-level play, you might add a Pokemon to your team specifically to counter a single species of Pokemon that other players will be using against you. Fortunately, the Battle Maison has a bit more variety than that, so you generally won't have to think quite that hard about the metagame. Still, you should be focusing more on whether you need a wallbreaker or a sweeper as opposed to whether you need a Poison type or a Dragon type.

I'd be happy to discuss this in greater detail if you like, but I'll leave it there for now.
Warning: User is known to the state of California to get preachy.
Official - You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Thard_Verad
4 months ago#5
May I also add -- Metagross vs. Mr. Mime: "Metagross, use Iron Head!" A STAB attack with good neutral coverage and a chance to flinch, and just happens to be super effective in this matchup.

Antasma1
4 months ago#6
Thard_Verad posted...
May I also add -- Metagross vs. Mr. Mime: "Metagross, use Iron Head!" A STAB attack with good neutral coverage and a chance to flinch, and just happens to be super effective in this matchup.

That was just a top my head. Let's say Mr. Mime was faster and can endure a hit or 2

Antasma1
4 months ago#7
ghost_tails posted...
Type advantages aren't as big a deal in competitive Pokemon as you might think, and while the Battle Maison isn't exactly competitive, it's not that far off from the typical XY meta. More important than type advantages is the role of each team member, that is, what their main purpose is. At high-level play, you might add a Pokemon to your team specifically to counter a single species of Pokemon that other players will be using against you. Fortunately, the Battle Maison has a bit more variety than that, so you generally won't have to think quite that hard about the metagame. Still, you should be focusing more on whether you need a wallbreaker or a sweeper as opposed to whether you need a Poison type or a Dragon type.

I'd be happy to discuss this in greater detail if you like, but I'll leave it there for now.

I was still going to pick the strongest of their kind and good moves

Thard_Verad
4 months ago#8
I'll concede Mr. Mime is faster than Metagross, but Metagross is more likely to survive based on stats. ;)

Moving on, say you do start with a Ghost-type. If you want something fast to try a quick sweep, maybe Gengar is what you're looking for. You'll need to be wary of Sucker Punch though. On the other hand, Coffagrigus is a bulkier option to try and tank hits while wearing foes down. Plus you get Mummy to mess with their Ability.

As you can see, there's a lot of variation to consider, even on a single type. Remember also that legendary Pokemon are allowed and will appear in Super matches.

Antasma1
4 months ago#9
Thard_Verad posted...
I'll concede Mr. Mime is faster than Metagross, but Metagross is more likely to survive based on stats. ;)

Moving on, say you do start with a Ghost-type. If you want something fast to try a quick sweep, maybe Gengar is what you're looking for. You'll need to be wary of Sucker Punch though. On the other hand, Coffagrigus is a bulkier option to try and tank hits while wearing foes down. Plus you get Mummy to mess with their Ability.

As you can see, there's a lot of variation to consider, even on a single type. Remember also that legendary Pokemon are allowed and will appear in Super matches.

I was planning on picking pure types for simplicity and not gaining additional weaknesses

User Info: ghost_tails

ghost_tails
4 months ago#10
More types doesn't always mean more or worse weaknesses. Prior to gen 6, there were two Pokemon with no weaknesses, both of which were dual-type Dark and Ghost. The dual typing on my team lets me get in a lot of free switches when I correctly read my opponent's attack. If they're about to use an Electric move on my Huntail, I switch into Garchomp, whose Ground-typing makes that attack useless. When they try a Dragon move on the Garchomp, I swap out to Gardevoir and ruin their day because Fairy. I use the secondary typing on my team as a strength, not a weakness.
Warning: User is known to the state of California to get preachy.
Official - You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. What do you think of this?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived