This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sick of all the "racist" Jynx Crap

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Sick of all the "racist" Jynx Crap

User Info: GastroFan

GastroFan
4 years ago#121
Jynx isn't the only caricature that gives the appearance of a black stereotype however; there's a popular cartoon in Mexico that has the same problem. In its case it too was considered by its creator as 'respectful' of blacks; that cartoon character won't have a show in the US even though its creator wanted it to due to all the backlash against it. I find it hypocritical that all these people who create stereotypical characters claim they 'respect' the people who they're stereotyping.

User Info: piranhapete

piranhapete
4 years ago#122
Jynx is based on the Yama-Uba and not blackface. I'm not gonna post the Game Theories youtube link again but they're pretty expansive in their explanation.
I count triple because I'm the False Spring Queen!
So you ARE outnumbered, cakesniffers.

User Info: wettaco13

wettaco13
4 years ago#123
Black face isn't racist in Japan so jynx isn't racist. Its actually that simple. People still use black face in Japan today because its not considered racist. So if you have a problem with black face it's just that your problem. Plus there a fashion fad around before pokemon came out were japenese girls would dye there hair blond get a dark tan and wear lots of bright pink make up which some say is what jynx was based on.
The loosest butthole

User Info: wettaco13

wettaco13
4 years ago#124
Also when black face was origanilly invented it wasn't used to spread stereotypes hate racism or any sort of Ill will towards African americans at all. But unfortunately some people started using it for that an now its considered racist. Just like people like to pretend that the swatstika is a antisemitic symbol just because the Nazis used it for a little while.
The loosest butthole

User Info: BlazingFlareon

BlazingFlareon
4 years ago#125
what if mega jynx happens in ORAS/whatever game, but it isn't announced to avoid controversy

and you can only find jynxite in the japenese versions for that reason
FC: 2922-0405-1922 IGN Jaxon
[00:23] jvk: here at my home only one person can sleep at a time because we follow smogon rules

User Info: piranhapete

piranhapete
4 years ago#126
wettaco13 posted...
Black face isn't racist in Japan so jynx isn't racist. Its actually that simple. People still use black face in Japan today because its not considered racist. So if you have a problem with black face it's just that your problem. Plus there a fashion fad around before pokemon came out were japenese girls would dye there hair blond get a dark tan and wear lots of bright pink make up which some say is what jynx was based on.

from Bulbapedia:

"Jynx may also have origins in the Japanese spirits known as Yuki-onna, who lack feet, akin to Jynx's feet being covered by its dress, and Yama-uba, which is described as always wearing a tattered red kimono, having whitish-blonde hair, control over snow, dark-colored skin, and large lips, traits which are evident in Jynx."

This accounts for every one of Jynx's unusual traits. Jynx is also said to sway its hips to seduce its victims in Pokedex entries, which is also a trait of the Yama-uba. Given that in the Pokedex Jynx is right before Electabuzz and Magmar, who also both share some pretty obvious traits with other beings from Japanese mythology, I don't know why there is still any doubt that Jynx is based on anything but the Yama-uba spirit, especially when there are no other Pokemon in the original 151 to my knowledge that have anything to do with fashion trends. This whole thing is just ridiculous.
I count triple because I'm the False Spring Queen!
So you ARE outnumbered, cakesniffers.

User Info: SiniSister_6

SiniSister_6
4 years ago#127
wettaco13 posted...

User Info: MegaWentEvil

MegaWentEvil
4 years ago#128
I don't think Jynx is racist, but I think Slowpoke and Slowbro are ableist.

User Info: Adrastia

Adrastia
4 years ago#129
Michael-Ike-9 posted...
Apparently some psychic named...Uri? sued because he felt Kadabra was based off of him. This is why there was no reprint of a Kadabra card in Gen 3 TCG.

Read about it on Didyouknowgaming.com a while ago.

Uri Geller. Some guy who claimed he could bend spoons through psychic powers. Back in the 70s and 80s he was all over TV with his supposed "psychic powers". He's a total non-entity now and was just trying to get himself back in the news with the Pokemon thing.

I found this about him on Wikipedia. Hilarious!
On 11 February 2009, Geller purchased the uninhabited 100-meter-by-50-meter Lamb Island off the eastern coast of Scotland, previously known for its witch trials, and beaches that Robert Louis Stevenson is said to have described in his novel Treasure Island. Geller claims that buried on the island is Egyptian treasure, brought there by Scota, the half-sister of Tutankhamen 3,500 years ago and that he will find the treasure through dowsing. Geller also claimed to have strengthened the mystical powers of the island by burying there a crystal orb once belonging to Albert Einstein.

I had read Jynx was actually based on the yamamba, the Japanese mountain witch and is a play on the yamamba and ganguro fashion styles. Yamamba is also associated with snowy mountains. So Jynx being an ice/psychic type is very fitting.

In some legends Yamamba has no feet and just floats through the air. Jynx has that long dress. There's also a legend about Yamamba nursing children then eating them. Jynx has large breasts. Her hair is also very similar to ganguro style. But to westerners she really does appear to be in blackface. But I really don't think it's meant to be racist. It just doesn't translate well into western culture. Especially in North America.
The gate to tomorrow is not the light of heaven, but the darkness of the depths of the earth...... - Vincent FF7
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Sick of all the "racist" Jynx Crap

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived