This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

YR: Stat lowering moves decrease stats by an extra half stage.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. YR: Stat lowering moves decrease stats by an extra half stage.

User Info: Wetstew

Wetstew
4 years ago#1
To make stat lowering moves more powerful.

The extra half stage wouldn't affect the stat and it would be rounded down.

So Charm on turn 1 will leave the opponent at -2.5, but is rounded up to -2 in regard to how the damage is calculated.
Charm on turn 2 would leave the opponent at -5.

If the opponent was using Sword Dance both turns it would be at -1.

Self inflicted stat downs (Super Power, Hammer Arm) would be done with whole numbers.

If you don't like the idea, what if they added new moves that have this effect with limited distribution?

Edit: To clarify, a stat with a fraction is treated like the whole number closest to zero. -2.5 is -2, -4.5 is -4.
This change is to buff stat lowering attacks since they are so easy to undo.

I probably shouldn't have done this after working outside all day in the heat.
For every good thing in life, there is one indirect link to a photo service. -eco master

User Info: Blackcat0123

Blackcat0123
4 years ago#2
I don't understand what you're trying to say here. If you're rounding down, then charm on turn 1 would actually leave you at -3, which is a drastic decrease of 3 stages.

Granted, rounding negative numbers is disputed, since some round in the opposite direction, but most just agree that rounding down puts you closer towards the negatives.
Your friendly neighborhood black guy, now in e-form!
FC: 0834 1716 7409 Trainer name: Albert

Wetstew
4 years ago#3
Blackcat0123 posted...
I don't understand what you're trying to say here. If you're rounding down, then charm on turn 1 would actually leave you at -3, which is a drastic decrease of 3 stages.

Granted, rounding negative numbers is disputed, since some round in the opposite direction, but most just agree that rounding down puts you closer towards the negatives.

I wasn't sure how to word it when it comes to negative numbers. My math education was a bit weak; I meant a -2.5 will effectively be a -2.

-3 in one turn would be a bit much, but -5 from two is more reasonable. It also makes stat modifying 'ties' be in favor of the attacker's.

So if Pokemon A uses charm and Pokemon B uses Sword Dance it will be equal on turn one, but on turn two if they use the same moves it will be at -1.
For every good thing in life, there is one indirect link to a photo service. -eco master

Wetstew
4 years ago#4
Bump for the lunch crowd.

User Info: FluffySD

FluffySD
4 years ago#5
We just need more drastic and the -4 terms(forget what they are called just target a simple mon under a specific circum stance)

Lowering moves. Though honestly more than -4 is unnesicary as a -2 is so much more detrimental compared to a +2 boost (which is why there are so many +3 and +2/1x3-5 boosts).

The game needs to be SIMPLIFIED not become more complex. Several of the -2 moves hit multiple pokemon(despite bulbapedia being slack on actually testing this stuff...) in doubles which is more than powerful enough.

Blissey at -2 sp def gets taken out so quick (takes more than doubled damage) compared to taking a special hit at +2 sp def (takes about 15-23% less damage). Atk/Sp Atk lowering conversely is not very powerful till -4.

So ultimately I think all status boost/lowers should be changed to +3 or -3 (or make it max at +4 being logically x4 or 1/4th) and hit all opposing adjacent pokemon. This will normalize and equalize all sweepers walls and supports.
--- Pokemon X - OT Niji - 0104 - 1353 - 7957 ---
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. YR: Stat lowering moves decrease stats by an extra half stage.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived