This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. The dreaded "Save data can not be accessed" happened...

User Info: beebarb

beebarb
5 years ago#21
There is one logical thing remaining if you have truly tried everything. It's simple to test, too.

If the game card can still save a game, this will rule out this possibility, leaving even me stumped.

The flash memory used for saving has a limited number of write cycles, needless saving (i.e. double or triple-saving) can shorten the usable life of the flash memory.

The memory is expected to be able to last at least 2-3 years with normal use. It is expected (but not confirmed) that DS game cards have more flash memory than is actually used for saving for longevity purposes (though I wouldn't expect Nintendo to be that forward thinking).

Several issues other than excessive use can cause flash memory to fail:

1. Power disruption - an extremely rare problem can occur where the important components of the flash memory fail because of a power disruption at the wrong moment during a write operation.

2. General failure - The flash memory in too many flash memory 'cells' has failed due to reaching their write limit. Normally this should only cause the flash memory to become Read Only.

However, inferior quality memory can lose it's data when this occurs. This shouldn't occur during the minimum expected usable life.

3. Manufacturing fault - this can lead to a number of failure types, including a premature #2.

4. Damage - If the game card is compromised by being crushed, dropped excessively, exposed to liquids (other than those designed to clean electronics) several components could fail, including the critical components of the flash memory.
Experience beats bias, but words on the Internet are meaningless.
3DS XL FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 0047-4149-5185 / White FC: 0348-0626-6780

User Info: reyray0709

reyray0709
5 years ago#22
Kaizukezu posted...
Ryunosuke the Simisage

Fate/Zero reference..?
Umvc3 Teams: Zero, Vergil, Wesker - Street fighter 3 & 4: Yun - Injustice: Nightwing, Batman.
PSN and GT: reyray0709.

User Info: Kaizukezu

Kaizukezu
5 years ago#23
JacK_1S_BK posted...
Kaizukezu posted...
R.I.P. my Pokepals...

Ryunosuke the Simisage
Kaislax the Scrafty
Kaiser the Gallade
My level 100 Zangoose buddies from Ruby
All of the baby Riolu who hardly had a life
And any other Pokemon saved on that cartridge, though some of you I would have never used, you were there for the greater good.

You will all be remembered.

You know it's game data, right?

Sure, maybe you think it's just "game data", but to me, I spent many hours of my life playing the game. There's no way I can ever get that time back, nor can I get back the work I put into the game.

The three nicknamed Pokemon I had through most of my White version play time, which is over 106+ hours, and they ended up being part of my Black 2 version for about 20+ hours.

So yes, the Pokemon are game data, but my life is not a game, and I can't reverse time to get my life back.
3DS Friend Code- 2535-3717-4504
White Friend Code- 0476-3773-4673

User Info: Kaizukezu

Kaizukezu
5 years ago#24
beebarb posted...
There is one logical thing remaining if you have truly tried everything. It's simple to test, too.

If the game card can still save a game, this will rule out this possibility, leaving even me stumped.

The flash memory used for saving has a limited number of write cycles, needless saving (i.e. double or triple-saving) can shorten the usable life of the flash memory.

I double or triple saved a few times, but only because I did it in a daze of "Okay, saving now. *Looks away for a few minutes reading forums* Oh... did I save? *Saves again*"

It wasn't overly excessive, and only happened on a few occasions though, so I can't see that being the problem.

As far as the game being able to save, it won't even let me load up the game to start my save file. I select to turn on the game from my 3DS icon menu, the screen is black for a few seconds, then turns white for a few seconds, and then the error message pops up in front of a blue background that notifies me the "save data cannot be accessed. Please power the system down and reinsert the game card." This leads me to believe that it's still possible to save the cartridge somehow, because it's not actually saying the save file is corrupt, it's just saying that it can't access the save data on the card. Because if the save file was corrupt, wouldn't it let me start another new save file?

reyray0709 posted...
Kaizukezu posted...
Ryunosuke the Simisage

Fate/Zero reference..?

Shaman King reference. Simisage reminded me of the character with big hair, and thus was named after him.
3DS Friend Code- 2535-3717-4504
White Friend Code- 0476-3773-4673

User Info: beebarb

beebarb
5 years ago#25
@Kaizukezu

For the Pokemon games, "save data cannot be accessed" is a vague cover-all that can mean from at best a corrupt save file, to at worst failed flash memory.

Unfortunately, your save file is gone if nothing you've tried has solved the issue. If you can still access the title screen, you unfortunately must try erasing the corrupt save file and seeing if you can save with a new game.

If you can, then at least the game still works.
Experience beats bias, but words on the Internet are meaningless.
3DS XL FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 0047-4149-5185 / White FC: 0348-0626-6780

User Info: PkmTrainerAbram

PkmTrainerAbram
5 years ago#26
This is why I back up my save files using an NDS Backup Adaptor. I've had this happen to Super Princess Peach and once to Pokemon Platinum, but I had the files return to normal.

Get a Q tip, some alchohol, and rub a little bit on it, and clean the contacts of the game and the NDS system. Use the other end, the dry end, to rub them both dry. Wait 10 mins and try playing the game again.

If that doesn't work, you know it's not dirty contacts and you'll have to hope it fixes itself.
Currently playing: Pokemon Black 2 Perfect Run(JPN) 649/649 owned, 3 Star Card, Rayman Orgins(Wii)

User Info: Missingno_Mastr

Missingno_Mastr
5 years ago#27
Kaizukezu posted...
R.I.P. my Pokepals...

Ryunosuke the Simisage
Kaislax the Scrafty
Kaiser the Gallade
And any other Pokemon saved on that cartridge, though some of you I would have never used, you were there for the greater good.

My condolences. For what it's worth, I too have lost a Pokémon... Oh, my Black 2 still works fine, I still have all my Shinies, my events, my legendaries, my event legendaries, and most of the Pokémon I've ever bonded with... I have my whole team from the very first time I played Ruby... All but one. I still have Wynaut, and Linoone, and Shiftry, and Castform, and Swampert... Poor Pelipper never made it past Emerald. I remember it well... It was back when I used to hack my Pokémon games all the time. I'm not proud of those times. Anyway, I had started using an Action Replay code that warped you right into the Mirage Tower, and I had figured out a method of abusing it to steal the Battle Factory's rental Pokémon, at the expense of your current party. What happened was, I would use Pelipper to Fly back to the Battle Frontier, then deposit it in the PC and withdraw whatever throwaway Pokémon I intended to sacrifice for the next set of rentals... and at one point, I forgot to deposit Pelipper. By the time I realized what I had done, it was too late... I still remember when I caught Wingull on Route 110 in Ruby... I remember Wingull evolving into Pelipper... I remember Pelipper taking out one of Norman's Slaking by alternating between Protect and an attacking move... I remember getting around Hoenn on Pelipper with Fly and Surf... I remember how amazed I was that it could learn Shock Wave... I have another Pelipper now, but it's not the same. :(

JacK_1S_BK posted...

Just because that's all they are to you does not mean the same applies to everyone else, you know! I still miss Pelipper!
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9247960/1/404-Error
http://gottaglitchemall.smackjeeves.com/

User Info: Sloth9230

Sloth9230
5 years ago#28
javel34 posted...
JacK_1S_BK posted...
Kaizukezu posted...
R.I.P. my Pokepals...

Ryunosuke the Simisage
Kaislax the Scrafty
Kaiser the Gallade

You must be a hacker

Hey, that my friends are all artificial doesn't change the fact that they're my friends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKmYGUk3T2g

User Info: DreadJester

DreadJester
5 years ago#29
A couple of thoughts I have on this one that you could try. These are things you can try if you've tried everything else and nothing has worked. If it's already broken you can't break it much more.....

1. Try hitting the cartridge with a warm, low setting blow dryer for a few minutes to warm it up some then quickly wrap it in some water absorbing material like toilet paper or a good quality paper towel. The outside of the cartridge should be very warm, almost hot so that the inside will at least be warm but don't melt the thing. Why?? If moisture somehow gathered inside the cartridge it could be sitting on the electronics and messing it up. Moisture could have gotten there by being in a below freezing area for a time then moving to a hot area quickly, being in a steamy bathroom, or dropping it in a puddle or sink full of water.

2. Take a sharp knife or very tiny flat tip screw driver and scrape each contact back and forth some. Use some pressure when scraping but not enough to cut though it. Clean it up with some alcohol on a cotton swab when you feel you've done enough scraping and allow alcohol to dry before starting up. Why?? Metal contacts can become corroded or gunked up over time. Sometimes alcohol alone isn't enough to remove it and you have to get a bit more medieval on it.

3. Put it in a ziplock baggie and stick it in the freezer for a couple of hours. Pull it out of the freezer and quickly plug it into your system and attempt to start it up. Why?? You'd be surprised what sub zero temperatures can do to electronics..... If this does work you should attempt to save the game again as quickly as you can to hopefully get a good, clean save. If it works but only while it's cold it could still be used as a way to get your old buddies off the sinking ship and onto the Pokémon Bank when it comes out in December.

As I said, these are last ditch efforts that you can try if NOTHING else has worked. Hope you get your game working again.
3DS Friend Code: D Jester 3609-1862-5983

User Info: vchu8

vchu8
5 years ago#30
TranquilSea posted...
Pokecheck is just a website. You make a free account, set the DNS to what the site shows you on your wireless settings, and you can then use the GTS upload anything onto it. Once there, you can clone a copy and receive it through the GTS whenever you want, and you can even download the .pkm files.

https://www.pokecheck.org/

Just wanted to say though, that using Pokecheck technically makes the Pokemon files 'illegal' once you transfer them back to the game because of a ribbon that the website adds to the Pokemon. There's another method you can do through IR-GTS, which requires a little more work on your end but keeps everything about the Pokemon 'legit.'
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. The dreaded "Save data can not be accessed" happened...
  • Topic Archived