• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. Guess I'm in the Minority
chojin69 6 months ago#1
Guessing I'm in the minority judging from the posts I've read, but I just could not get into this game.

This was actually my first Dark Souls game years ago on the PS3. But I recently picked up DS: Remastered on Switch and it got me back into the series. When I played this originally I was really enjoying it and moved to DS1 instead of completing DS2.

Over the years I have restarted DS1 although various things like real life or new games I wanted to play more always moved me away from it. After getting Remastered I decided I was going to play all 3 games; however, after beating Remastered a few nights ago and playing a ways into NG+ I decided I was ready for DS2 but I just hated my experience on PS4 this time.

Combat seemed clunkier than I remember and area design just wasn't doing it for me. Balance seemed weird; and things such as drop down attacks onto mobs from cliffs felt like they always resulted in me sliding off the mob without dealing any damage or if I did hit they would recover faster than my character.

Moved onto DS3 and just trashed the crocodile vagina mob. DS3 isn't perfect either; but am loving it. It's "easier" than DS1 but seems more "frustrating". Definitely going to have to give Seikro and Demon Souls a try after this one since we haven't gotten a Dark Souls 4 yet...
incelseverywher 6 months ago#2
You are in the majority. Dark souls 2 is hated by most people for being a dumpster fire of a failure compared to other Dark souls games. If a reddit mod and a discord mod made a fan made based game it would be Dark souls II
Hotel_Security 5 months ago#3
You are in the majority. Dark souls 2 is hated by most people for being a dumpster fire of a failure compared to other Dark souls games.

No, he's not. He's the minority. Dark Souls 2 got great scores almost universally on release as well as great accolades and hype for the DLCs that follow. Even with people accepting that the game has a few flaws and nerfs that we weren't fans of, we can generally accept that the majority of the is pretty great.

Yes, there is a small pocket of snobs who overeact to such changes and act like this ruined everything but, I assure you, these are the minority...and just because they're the loudest people on boards like these, does not make them any semblance of a majority.

I'd agree that DS1 and DS3 are probably better but DS2 is very playable and had some of the tougher moments in the series for me, especially the DLCs.
fsvr54 4 months ago#4
chojin69 posted...
Guessing I'm in the minority judging from the posts I've read, but I just could not get into this game.

This was actually my first Dark Souls game years ago on the PS3. But I recently picked up DS: Remastered on Switch and it got me back into the series. When I played this originally I was really enjoying it and moved to DS1 instead of completing DS2.

Over the years I have restarted DS1 although various things like real life or new games I wanted to play more always moved me away from it. After getting Remastered I decided I was going to play all 3 games; however, after beating Remastered a few nights ago and playing a ways into NG+ I decided I was ready for DS2 but I just hated my experience on PS4 this time.

Combat seemed clunkier than I remember and area design just wasn't doing it for me. Balance seemed weird; and things such as drop down attacks onto mobs from cliffs felt like they always resulted in me sliding off the mob without dealing any damage or if I did hit they would recover faster than my character.

Moved onto DS3 and just trashed the crocodile vagina mob. DS3 isn't perfect either; but am loving it. It's "easier" than DS1 but seems more "frustrating". Definitely going to have to give Seikro and Demon Souls a try after this one since we haven't gotten a Dark Souls 4 yet...

You're doing yourself a disservice by skipping Bloodborne.

I personally love DS2 (I think all of Soulsbornekiro are masterpieces) but I can understand not liking it.
Reapper330011 1 month ago#5
chojin69 posted...

PLAY BLOODBORNE. It’s the number one game from FromSoftware.

Music, combat, gameplay, lore, everything is perfect. By the way Elden ring will kind of be dark souls 4…
Subxero7 1 month ago#6
I find it interesting how people feel so differently about each of these games.

For me I like all of the games, haven't played bloodborne yet and I'm working through DS3.

I played DeS on release forever ago and it will always be one of my favorites. It was until many years later I finally played DS1. I really liked it but I never really enjoyed replaying it just to get through it or do different PvE builds. I had a few PvP builds and 1 or 2 twink low soul level coop builds. The PvP was bad but it's all I had at the time although it had it's moments. Didn't get too much into challenge runs in DS1.

DS2, really liked it, took a little to get used to combat changes and after my 1st playthrough I couldn't wait to start over with a new build and do it again but better and faster. There was so much armor, weapons, stat boosting equipment, everything I was in heaven. Dumped a ton of time into DS2 so many new game playthrough's a few NG++++ playthroughs, countless challenge runs. The PvP is good and balanced. People complain about linear nature of DS2 but aside from each path being linear you can go countless places right off the bat, run straight to just about anywhere with little time and effort to get your favorite things, get the upgraded then bang out the rest of the game in style.
Some things not perfect but there isn't much major about the game i'm not willing to overlook because I enjoy so many other things about it a lot. I haven't been playing it as much lately but I want to, I could easily pick it up right now and dump 12 hrs into a low SM challenge cosplay run/build. Want to attempt a SL1 no death no bonfire run eventually but I need time to play if i'm gonna do that to stay fresh.

Just started DS3, I like it so far but it plays way different than the others and it's taking a little getting used to. I'm not crazy about how the combat handles but that is just a preference. It feels too spammy for me. I'm still experimenting a bit with enemies to see what works the best and in the end I typically just end up trying to get behind them and spam attacks until they start to attack again then roll and repeat. Exploring areas seems to be tedious with little of worth to be found. Every area is pretty similar, run around until you unlock said door, go through door, circle around new place to unlock a shortcut or new path that gives you access to the next path that was 5 feet away from where you started but couldn't get to because of a locked door. It's fine for a first playthrough but after you are familiar with the game there will be no reason to do a large portion of areas and you will simply run cherry pick what you want, and go straight to the boss. So far for me there is next to no options for forking to different areas and if there is that area is short like a one off. Basically just go to the next area in line.

Not sure how many repeat plays I'll do of DS3, probably at least 1 dex build, 1 str build and maybe 1 quality build. Might try a few boss runs after i get familiar enough with it but can't imagine I play as much as DS2 but who knows if I find a few weapons, armor rings I really like and ways to fast track builds I could maybe get into it. As much as Soul Memory got grief in DS2 i actually started liking it a lot the more I played. It was a bit annoying when trying to coop with friends through most of the game but It was a new aspect of the game to keep tabs on for a challenge. Doing super fancy low SM twink builds in DS2 was a challenge and it felt good to be able to use what should be practically unusable weapons and armor at such a low level for both coop and PvP. Take away SM and twinking is super simple and nothing is novel.

With all that being said, as much as I liked DS1 when I first played it I don't think I'll ever go back to play it again and even if I do I don't think I will enjoy it all that much. I tried to replay it a couple years ago after playing DS2 a lot and I couldn't stand it. The running is soooo slow and well you have to run everywhere sooo yeah. I like the first part of the game like the very beginning but man that last half.... hard pass, couldn't even finish it, no desire to go back. I'll never play the remaster, no thank you, i've had enough.

I've replayed the original DeS a few times and even fairly recently. I did get the remake and enjoy it but there is nothing new, it's the same game, It looks pretty in all but when you get down to it the exact same game. So just a pretty replay IMO.

Probably do Bloodborne next and then Sekiro, not sure I will get those done before Elden Ring though. I'm lucky to get in a couple hours a day of play time right now.

All good games but different strokes for different folks.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. Guess I'm in the Minority
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A