• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. First time playing, beat DeS, DS1

User Info: mninp

mninp
1 year ago#1
I'm going through the franchise in order (as well as other Souls-like games (Nioh, Lords of the Fallen, Salt and Sanctuary, etc) and so far I have completed Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1. I actually did beat DS3 a while ago, played some of Bloodborne, and some SotFS, but for the purpose of this "marathon" (or whatever you want to call it), I've beaten Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 so far.

I will be keeping a death counter as I go through this game, just like I did with the other two games. I had 51 deaths in Demon's Souls and 164 deaths in Dark Souls 1. I personally found Demon's Souls to be a bit too easy, whereas Dark Souls 1 was pretty ridiculous. I'm excited to see where this game falls in difficulty.

So I started playing today and...I had a bit of a bad start. Terrible start actually. I died 4 times on the tutorial area. Now I do have a stupid reason for 3 of those deaths.

My first death was before I even named my guy and chose my class. I thought it would be a fun idea to punch one of those little animals running around at the begining and right when I did that they all gang banged me. I was like wtf. The next two deaths was from trying to jump to that item when the game teaches you how to jump. I hate that jump is L3 in this game, and that took me two deaths to get right. I'm so used to pressing circle so it was awkward for me. The 4th death was legitimate. I dropped down into that hole near the end of the tutorial trying to get a plunging attack on the enemy. Not only did I miss, but I didn't realize the fall damage would be that severe. Before my character was able to stand up fully the enemy in front of me killed me. So yeah...overall, not a good start.

Deaths aside, I don't know how to feel about this game. Everything feels different. The messages on the ground are now gravestones, the jump button is L3, the physics feel off, not bad but off, and the text is hard to read on my tv.

So yeah I'm going into this blind (except from what I remember of SotFS), but one thing I do want to mention is that I do use a guide ONLY for knowing what order to do the areas. I don't find it fun (in any game) to wander around aimlessly not knowing where to go next. Once I get to an area, I explore like crazy, but I have no interest in running into an area that is way beyond my level or missing an early area entirely only to realize later on when I'm overpowered and I wasn't able to experience it at the right level.
Games I'm looking forward to: Super Smash Bros 3DS & Wii U, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, Kingdom Hearts HD Remix 2.5, Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XV

User Info: THE_SQUIREL

THE_SQUIREL
1 year ago#2
mninp posted...
My first death was before I even named my guy and chose my class. I thought it would be a fun idea to punch one of those little animals running around at the begining and right when I did that they all gang banged me. I was like wtf. The next two deaths was from trying to jump to that item when the game teaches you how to jump. I hate that jump is L3 in this game, and that took me two deaths to get right. I'm so used to pressing circle so it was awkward for me. The 4th death was legitimate. I dropped down into that hole near the end of the tutorial trying to get a plunging attack on the enemy. Not only did I miss, but I didn't realize the fall damage would be that severe. Before my character was able to stand up fully the enemy in front of me killed me. So yeah...overall, not a good start.

You can change jump to O in the options menu.
Messages still apeear on the floor, mainly when you play online.
I personally think the physics are ok, but a lot of people complain.

The people at Majula give tips on where to go. If you find yourself stuck, observe if theres not a way you didn't notice, if not, go to majula and try to follow what the people say. Theres 3 way out of majula and most of them divide themselves.

Parry (with the buckler) and backstab are your friends. In the beggining, luring an enemy and rolling behind him to backstab with the dagger is the most efficient way to dispatch a foe fast. Or use a shiels and a good weapond, your choice.
One who knows nothing can understand nothing

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
1 year ago#3
If it makes you feel better enemies do have spawn limits.
Check out the sticky as there’s a few tips for some early good gear depending on your planned build
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 USun: Stella; UMoon: Frosty; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

User Info: Subxero7

Subxero7
1 year ago#4
I'm sure you will find DS2 plays quite a bit differently than DeS and DS1, i can't speak for BB or DS3 since i have never played them.

Do you self a favor and educate yourself on some of the game mechanics and character stats particularly ADP and Agility, sweet spot damage mechanic as well as how the poise system works/enemy attack interruption. Also what some of the items do, like bonfire items, and don't join the Covenant of Champions on your first go through which is easily accessed first thing in the game ;)

As far as where to go, i always found these games typically give subtle hints on where it wants you to be and when, be it needing a key/item, the types of treasure/items you find laying around and or the difficulty of the enemies. If an area seems a little too difficult go somewhere else, come back later.

IMO for various reason be them "good" or "bad" DS2 as a whole, and especially some of the "normal enemies" and generally clearing the areas is more difficult than DS1 and DeS despite there being a fair amount of bonfires. Some enemies/areas might have you going "WTF this seems ridiculous" especially if you are impatient and just go guns a blazing.

One tip i would give is, buy all the Bright Bugs off the merchant hag as they become available throughout the game and save them for the DLC stuff. The merchant will sell a few right away, you can buy them, then after certain points of progress through the game she will sell more but the price always goes up ;) Like i said, buy them and save them for when you have lost all hope.

It's a good game, i like it. Enjoy

User Info: RapidDarkness

RapidDarkness
1 year ago#5
If you're self conscious about your death tally, check the memorial stone overlooking the cliffs in Majula - gives the total player deaths worldwide, and that's just on your platform.
I wear no mask.

gamemaster712
1 year ago#6
One thing that is a double edged sword is enemies only respawn so much.

Can’t farm for items but makes exploring eventually easy as pie.
I actually took the time and first dungeon is pretty much a ghost town now sans a few enemies left
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 USun: Stella; UMoon: Frosty; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder

User Info: Subxero7

Subxero7
1 year ago#7
As for the limited re-spawning of enemies, i find it to be more beneficial than detrimental. There is not much in the game item wise that needs farmed and souls for leveling up are never really a problem. The bonfire ascetics helps with the no re spawning as well as item/soul collecting.

However i do find eliminating the enemies in certain areas until they no longer spawn to be useful be it on purpose or because the boss or area beat my butt so many times that i have just killed enemies along the way enough times that the game takes mercy on me. A couple of the DLC areas come to mind

mninp
1 year ago#8
Death Count: 9

I'm quite enjoyign this game. The beginning was pretty rough, but once I got into the swing of things, it's been smooth sailing. I beat four bosses so far. The Last Giant, The Pursuer, Dragonrider, and Old Dragonslayer.

The bosses in this game are...really easy. The Last Giant didn't even hit me and neither did the Dragonrider. Dragonrider might be the easiest Souls boss across all three games, I literally just rotated around him the entire time, it was so simple.

Old Dragonslayer hit me twice I think, but I didn't have to heal. The Pursuer was the only challenge so far. He killed me once, the second time was more smooth, but still a bit stressful since he hits hard and kills your stamina.

So yeah, pretty smooth sailing riight now. Is it just me or do you get WAY more souls in this game than in DeS and DS1? I jumped from level 20 to level 30 after killing The Last Giant, then from 30 to 38 after the next boss, then from 38 to 44 after the next boss. Now I have 25K souls again and I'm about to gain a few more levels. I feel like I shouldn't be almost on level 50 right now, I've done literally two areas.

I'm using the Broadsword +4 and I found the Drangleic armor set in the forest area, which is NICE. I really needed a set of better gear, that helped a lot.

When leveling up, my priority is always Endurance, since the entire combat system revolves around it. But i hate in this game how Stamina and Equip Load aren't the same stat anymore. And ADP seems very useful as well, and I've already noticed my guy reacting faster when blocking or being hit. So my main focus is still Endurance, but Vitality and ADP are my second main focuses, with Vigor coming in last. The other stats I'm not gonna worry about too much unless I need to level them up to use a new weapon or gain some spell slots. I usually only use Pyromancy spells. I like a nice range spell to use alongside my sword and shield.
Games I'm looking forward to: Super Smash Bros 3DS & Wii U, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, Kingdom Hearts HD Remix 2.5, Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XV

mninp
1 year ago#9
Death Count: 18

I beat two more bosses. Flexile Sentry and Ruin Sentinels. Flexile Sentry put up a decent fight, still got him in one try, but one or two times I got a bit nervous. Ruin Sentinels are hands down the hardest boss in the game so far. They took me three tries. The problem with them isn't that they're hard to avoid, but they don't let you heal. Both times I died I had almost all my Estus left and I was in the middle of healing. Still not too bad of a boss, but a step up from everything else so far.

I also wanna mention that I love how Rings work in this game. YOu can equip four of them at a time and Rings are EVERYWHERE. It's fun messing around with them and trying new ones out. I foudn the Ring that gets me more souls every time I kill an enemy. So I got like 40K souls from the Ruin Sentinels. I'm now level 69. Yes, I'm serious, it's insane. I finished DeS at level 74 and I finished DS1 at level 97. I'm gonna surpass both of those before I'm even halfway. I'll probably be level 200 by the time I finish the game and the DLC.

I had a couple of funny bs deaths that I wanna point out. In No Man's Wharf I lost 7K souls (my highest yet). First I died in the poison room and when I was running baxck to get my souls, I was on the bridge at the beginning of the area, and no lie, the soldier on the bridge starts shield bashing the s*** out of me and knocks me off the bridge, into the water and to my death. I was like wtf are you kidding me. But it's all good. That's Souls for you. Another funny death was in the Lost Bastille. One of those old maidens with the spears on that narrow walkway hit me, I blocked the hit, but it pushed me off the walkway and off the edge. I facepalmed because I had gone through the entire level without a death at that point, I had got the key to the locked doors and I had 20K souls. I was living large. I had killed this maiden like 5 times at that point. And then I get pushed off the edge. So frustrating, but you can't help but laugh. Thankfully I was able to get my souls back without losing the 20K.

Just for fun, I'm gonna rank all the bosses so far from hardest to easiest.

1. Ruin Sentinels- Decent challenge, finally something good (3 tries)

2. The Pursuer- Puts up a decent fight, intense at first, but easy to figure out after a little bit (2 tries)

3. Flexile Sentry- Ok boss, puts up a decent fight, but becomes predictable (1 try)

4. Old Dragonslayer- So slow, predictable, easy (1 try, didn't need to heal)

5. The Last Giant- Didn't even hit me once, very easy to avoid (1 try, no damage)

6. Dragonrider- What a joke (1 try, no damage)
(edited 1 year ago)

gamemaster712
1 year ago#10
I had much less stupid deaths in 1 than 2 I think....
Except for the times I accidentally backed off a cliff strafing around the great knights.

Last giant was so easy...
I died stupidly because I got too cocky first try...
Then came back and shredded him into oblivion without any estus

Pursuer can go to hell for causing about 1/3 to 1/2 of my current death count
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. First time playing, beat DeS, DS1
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A