How do I quit my longsword?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. How do I quit my longsword?

User Info: McKnuckles13

McKnuckles13
4 weeks ago#1
I’m level 83, & I’ve been swinging the ol’ longsword since the beginning of the game. I got it to +10, & I still enjoy it, but I know there are some other great weapons I should try out. No idea what I should be leveling atm, or what I should be building towards. Should I go for a quality build? This is my first strictly melee character.

Vgr 24
End 20
Vit 8 (I’m at 69.2% with current gear)
Atn 6
Str 26 (been upping this just for damage)
Dex 12 (wanted to use the bow, regretted it)
Adp 28 (want to get to 105 agl)
Int 6
Fth 6

My stats feel like they’re all over the place, but so far I’m doing well on pve (& the few pvp fights I can get anymore). Any suggestions? I really love the longsword’s 2-hand moveset, but I want to branch out.

Also, I’m completely clueless when it comes to armor. I like to roll, with the option to use a shield every once in a while if I need it.

User Info: THE_SQUIREL

THE_SQUIREL
4 weeks ago#2
For the most part, you should go for what you feel more confortable with.

I liked a lot my Fire Longsword at the beggining. Then I started trying to parry an backstab each enemy for fun, and for that the Dagger and the Scythe are amazing.

Some enemies are much easier dealt with a Great Hammer 2HR2, others are easily thrown by a Zweinhander or Greatsword 2HR2. Fume ultragreatsword and Ivory King Ultra Greatsword (DLC) are very strong. Throne watcher Greatsword with self buff is awesome too. Most boss weapons and their specials are very interesting, although not overpowered.

Axes, maces and halberds are very strong... Rapiers and spears are good defensive options, able to poke behind a shield. There's too many fun weapons to try!

Statwise, I like to have flexibility, so I always end up dividing my stats, Using a Bow/Crossbow and some spells may prove very usefull.

Armor, use whatever you like (fashion souls ftw!) but make sure to keep under 70% load to roll!
One who knows nothing can understand nothing

McKnuckles13
4 weeks ago#3
Thanks. It seems like I just need to try more weapons before I commit to a build or upgrade any of them to +10. My main problem now is figuring out what to level, since I don’t have any sense of what my endgame build will be like.

I’ve already leveled 3 characters to SL150, & they all used spells, miracles, or hexes. Wanted to give a pure melee build a shot.

I definitely need to practice my parrying more.

User Info: RapidDarkness

RapidDarkness
4 weeks ago#4
Quality would give you flexibility with your weapon choices...you could maybe aim to have a full set of melee weapons, maybe select one from each class from knuckledusters through to UGS and poled weapons...Claymore & Partizan would be two of my selections
I wear no mask.

THE_SQUIREL
4 weeks ago#5
McKnuckles13 posted...
I definitely need to practice my parrying more.

Try the Buckler, it has a bigger parry window. Some attacks (combos) are easier to parry after the first strike. Like the spear hollows in FotFG, block their first strike, then immediately hit the parry button. I trained there to understand the timing. The Pursuer is a joke if you learn to parry his attacks.

McKnuckles13
4 weeks ago#6
I definitely considered doing a quality build, but I worry that going 40/40 for str/dex will be wasted points if I end up liking a weapon that doesn’t require or scale well with either the strength or dex at 40.

Also, are there enough slabs for me to dick around & make a bunch of +10 weapons without running out? I assume yes, using ascetics & going to ng+.

Thanks again for the help & advice. I definitely want to give the claymore a shot. Maybe partizan if I decide to keep increasing dex.

THE_SQUIREL
4 weeks ago#7
McKnuckles13 posted...
I definitely considered doing a quality build, but I worry that going 40/40 for str/dex will be wasted points if I end up liking a weapon that doesn’t require or scale well with either the strength or dex at 40.

There are at least five Soul Vessels in the main game(more in the DLC), if you decide to respec. Str/Dex will only give bonuses of 220 at max IIRC. The main reason to get them higher is to use better weapons, but if you want to max one, it's ok too.

Also, are there enough slabs for me to dick around & make a bunch of +10 weapons without running out? I assume yes, using ascetics & going to ng+.

Slabs can drop from stone soldiers in the castle. I always end up with 15-20 by the end of a Playthrough. The other titanite varieties can be bought infinitely from Chloanne after beating the last story boss.

THE_SQUIREL
4 weeks ago#8
Try this:
http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Weapon+AR+and+Scaling+Calculator

Taking as an example the Longsword:
- If you get 99 Str and 06 Dex, it has an Attack Rating (AR) of 338
- If you get 40 Str and 40 Dex, it has an Attack Rating (AR) of 330

Take note that this is only for uninfused weapons. In some cases, infusion changes things drastically.

So, the end result in this case is very close. You can use this table to plan your stats, but, like I said, I realy advise for a quality buid, for the flexiblity/fun.

McKnuckles13
4 weeks ago#9
I’ll definitely use that calculator. Thanks!

I forgot all about the soul vessels. That makes me feel better about being able to level how I want to.

After getting my ass kicked in Earthen Peak, I think I need to up dex for a decent ranged attack.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. How do I quit my longsword?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived