• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. What is the best Starting Gift?
Sailor_Razor 7 years ago#1
What is the best Starting Gift? - Results (32 votes)
Life Ring
3.13% (1 vote)
Human Effigy
3.13% (1 vote)
Healing Wares (10 Lifegem, 30 Radiant Lifegem, 1 Old Radiant Lifegem, 5 Poison Moss)
15.63% (5 votes)
Homeward Bone
0% (0 votes)
Seed of a Tree of Giants
6.25% (2 votes)
Bonfire Ascetic
25% (8 votes)
Petrified Something
46.88% (15 votes)
This poll is now closed.
It's mostly a toss up between the Bonfire Ascetic and Petrified Something. The normal Life Ring comes up very quickly, while Human Effigies turn up in decent numbers. The Healing Wares don't contain anything you can't get later, while you can just buy Homeward Bones from Shalquoir in decent numbers, and the Giant Seed is very unlikely to come up, or help if it does. You can use a Bonfire Ascetic with some creativity, while the Petrified Something can get you a neat weapon if you have some luck.

One thing about the Petrified Something, though. DO NOT trade it until they've given you the White Ring from something else. It seems like they're rigged to give you the White Ring once, and only once. If you get it from a Petrified Something, you'll feel ripped off.
Nashandra 7 years ago#2
Unless you need one of the items from trading with the nest as soon as you start, the Bonfire Ascetic is the best.
Now, be one, with the Dark...
PSN: DieFinstereSeele
grannas211 7 years ago#3
Pendant
zyrax2301 7 years ago#4
I think the Ascetic is the most useful, it's actually kind of hard to find one early on.
Why? Because **** you is why.
Terantatek 7 years ago#5
I go for healing wears. You can farm s&s stones. You can get infinite ascetics. But the healing wears comes in great handy early on.
"Somewhere beyond right and wrong, there is a garden.
I will meet you there." -Rumi
culchulach 7 years ago#6
If you're creating a low sm invader the healing wares are best. Kill dragonrider, use creo in fofg to get that token of spite. Run to undead purgatory, bow cheese chariot and BAM. You're welcome Souls community! The game needs it. Do your part to help.
Elden rinG ... enjoy the ride
Is_Corrupted 7 years ago#7
The homeward bone is by far the worst starting gift here. You get like 8 of them for free early game, and that's more than I ever needed.

Life ring is maybe useful if you mess up during the first 10 minutes of the game until you find it again in a chest.

Human effigy is found in good quantity, but at least there's no debating its use... until you get a ring of life protection. Oops.

The seed sounds nice on paper, until you realise you will only get invaded once or twice in NG if you're lucky, realise that you may very well not need it to win, realise that it may not have the expected results, or even work to your advantage depending on the area.

Healing wares is good for the poison moss, which I never use in harvest valley anyway because I just pop one of my 60 lifegems that I still carry along (and that's without picking the healing wares as starting gift.) It's good for beginners, then it's just... unnecessary.

Petrified something has a chance to get you a cool weapon, if your build was going for it or along the line of that weapon. (Lol demon great hammer on sorcerer start, or old whip as a cleric) It's pretty overrated.

Bonfire ascetic opens the door to many boss dropped rings that give nice bonuses, and the possibility to get them relatively early. Ritual band +2, silver serpent +2, cloranthy +2 just to name a few that fit in most or any build. That excludes all upgrade materials, gear, spells or possible weapons too. It is by far the best option, always.
Marcus is the answer for anything except "best unit who isn't Marcus," but even then he is a strong contender. - PokeAMon
bacterialtaco 7 years ago#8
grannas211 posted...
Pendant
I cannot be caged. I cannot be controlled. Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools!
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. What is the best Starting Gift?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A