• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. Demon's Souls vs. Dark Souls vs. Dark Souls 2

User Info: Nightvayne283

Nightvayne283
4 years ago#1
I thought this might be interesting to do, so anyways, post what you find to be done well for each entry in the Souls series, provide a reasoning for each thing, try to think of the good aspects for each one, and if you do even want to, try replaying the games in order of newest to oldest, just for comparisons sake. I personally enjoy Dark Souls 2 the most so far though, but I'd like for there to be a topic for this idea, because some people seem to be either fanboys who can't even give a reason for their hate, or people that don't seem to find change to be acceptable.

User Info: snake1989

snake1989
4 years ago#2
Demon's Souls: Some great level design - the lack of bonfires meant they had to build more shortcuts into levels, which made everything feel very unified. I also loved the diversity of the upgrade system, even if ore farming and lizards were frustrating. Being able to specialize weapons for specific stats or for backstab damage and the like was really cool.

Dark Souls: Boss designs and lore. The world was simply amazing, with every area and item feeling very purposeful and handcrafted. Demon's had some intriguing lore, but From really perfected their style of implicit, layered storytelling with this game. It also dropped a lot of the problems from Demon's Souls, like world tendency, and delivered one of the best DLC packages I've ever had the joy of playing.

Dark Souls II: Best combat system and overall world structure. There's a few combat changes that took time to adjust to, but I really do feel the core gameplay is at its absolute best in this iteration. And in terms of world structure, I just love that the game integrates the non-linear nature of Demon's Souls with the open, connected world of Dark Souls in a way that utilizes the best of both.
"A man chooses. A slave obeys."-Andrew Ryan

User Info: kennydang

kennydang
4 years ago#3
I like them all for there own reasons but i wish dks2 had more interesting lore like demon and dark had.

User Info: Nightvayne283

Nightvayne283
4 years ago#4
One thing that was really intriguing about Dark Souls 2, which made it seem more logical IMO than Dark Souls 1, is that if a person are going hollow, you see that their memories are fading, and thus for, their memories of their ideals are fading, which your character is the same in that regard, (as Vaati pointed out in one of his Prepare to Cry videos, can't think of the name of it at the moment though, it's his latest one) simply because of the fact you become a husk of a person you once were, a person who had a family, a soul that wasn't tainted from the curse... and memories, that have long faded

User Info: MudShadow

MudShadow
4 years ago#5
snake1989 posted...

Dark Souls II: Best combat system and overall world structure.

Dark Souls 2 world is a mess.

User Info: DesertStorm69

DesertStorm69
4 years ago#6
ShimmerMan posted...
snake1989 posted...

All Souls worlds are a mess. Dark 2 is the least terrible.

User Info: MudShadow

MudShadow
4 years ago#7
DesertStorm69 posted...
ShimmerMan posted...
snake1989 posted...

If you honestly believe Dark Souls 2 has the "least terrible" World Structure of the entire series then you basically know nothing about video games and should probably pick a new hobby.

User Info: DesertStorm69

DesertStorm69
4 years ago#8
ShimmerMan posted...
DesertStorm69 posted...
ShimmerMan posted...
snake1989 posted...

If you honestly believe Dark Souls 2 has the "least terrible" World Structure of the entire series then you basically know nothing about video games and should probably pick a new hobby.

Dammit.

Fishing good enough ?

User Info: Sinfullyvannila

Sinfullyvannila
4 years ago#9
DeS-Atmosphere

DS1-World Structure and lore

DS2-VERY strong early game individual area design. Also narrative.

Overall DS2 is my least favorite because the areas become shorter and more linear as the game progresses. Still satisfying though.
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.

User Info: Cpt_Marcelianto

Cpt_Marcelianto
4 years ago#10
DeS = best atmosphere and HUB area, worst weapon upgrade system/ weapon variety
DS = best Lore/ NPCs and overall world design/connection, worst HUB area
DS2 = best individual area design, worst lore/NPCs , best weapon upgrade system/weapon variety
"I see. So this is it. It lies here within this palm. The heart" - Ulquiorra Cifer
PSN : JMarceloRamos - feel free to add me : )
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. Demon's Souls vs. Dark Souls vs. Dark Souls 2
  • Topic Archived