• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. 10 Step Guide for new Sorcerers.

User Info: RJKTichondrius

RJKTichondrius
5 years ago#1
1) Choose your starting gift to be a Bonfire Ascetic if possible. More on this later.

2) Allocate your first levels into getting 16 Strength and 9 Dexterity. They will allow you to wield 2 extremely important combat items which you will use for your entire first playthrough. The first item is a Fire Longsword. It can be acquired by dropping down the wooden platforms located directly behind the second Bonfire in the Forest of Fallen Giants. Look for a cave filled with fire, partially enter it, then turn around and kill the 2 ambushing Zombies. Slowly advance afterwards until a giant Fire Lizard attacks you. Wait for him to fire 3 times then quickly run to the door and open it (no key is required). Open the chest, retrieve the Sword, and leave the area. Even as a mage you will likely need a decent melee weapon and this one is insane. Reinforce it as quickly and frequently as possible. The 16 Strength will allow you to wield the Drangleic Shield which you can acquire after you kill The Pursuer boss (still in the Forest of Fallen Giants). Drop down to the broken ledge slightly past where you killed him and loot a glowing corpse to obtain it. It has 100% physical block which is a completely invaluable stat. I cannot stress how important that it is. Dark Souls 2 is a wildly different game with a 100% physical block shield.

2) Future stats should go towards hitting 20 Intelligence and then 20 Faith reasonably early on. Do this even if you do not plan on using Miracles. Early in the game you will clear Heide's Tower of Flame. Exhaust the dialogue of the maiden located at the second bonfire in the area and she will return to Majula in the broken chapel that led to Heide's Tower of Flame. Pay her to take the alternate path and follow it to the first bonfire. Directly behind it is a man who will gift you an amazing staff (Sunset Staff) if you have 20 Intelligence and 20 Faith. Even as a Sorcerer you'll definitely want it. He will also give you one of the best hoods in the game, the Hexer's Hood, which you will probably use for a very long time. I'm still using it well into NG+. It adds 1 to your spell usage count which is a completely unique effect to the Hood.

3) Since you are likely at or near Huntsman's Copse at this stage of the game you will be fighting the Executioner's Chariot boss soonish. 2 tips for this fight. 1) Bring friends. That fight sucks as a mage. 2) Yearn is very good for it. You can use it to permanently de-aggro the skeletons if need be. Enter the fight, walk a few steps forward, fire it directly in front of you then run to the second alcove on the right. Keep doing leaps of 2 alcoves while firing Yearns near+behind you. Kill the Necromancers as you go and before long none of the skeletons will bother you. They'll sit near the start and do nothing. This was the only way I could beat this fight as a Sorcerer. That being said, bring 2 people and the fight is a joke. Your call. I'm only posting this for people like me who didn't summon people but who couldn't figure out how to deal with the Skeletons.

4) After the Chariot boss goes down kill the Skeleton Lords which are also located in the Huntsman Copse. They are ridiculously easy friends or not. Afterwards go to the third bonfire of the area and use your Bonfire Ascetic. Kill the Skeleton Lords again. Use summons if you need to but it's the exact same fight and it's still very easy. They drop a +55% casting ring which you will never unequip (trust me, it's insane). You cannot fathom the difference it makes when it comes to spamming higher-leveled spells. Play with this item, then play without it, and tell me that it doesn't make you feel 4-5x stronger. Trust me now, thank me later. This one tip is the single best reason to have read this thread. If you didn't take a Bonfire Ascetic as your starting gift simply return here as soon as you acquire one.
PSN: RAGE_Tich | Pawn: Rita Mortio | Vocation: Sorcerer | Level: 200 | Utilitarian/Challenger
Would love some help getting Travel and Bestiary knowledge :).

RJKTichondrius
5 years ago#2
5) Before moving on I strongly recommend going to the Shaded Woods and doing that zone next. Buy the Ring of Whispers in Majula first and then head there. The Lions here are super resistant to magic but die in 1 backstab hit from a basic dagger. Either use that or use your Flame Longsword. Do not use spells; it's far too time consuming. A basic dagger with no upgrades literally 1 shots them with a backstab after all. Eventually you'll come across a giant scorpion if you head left immediately from the starting bridge and descend in to the basement of the giant stone building. Talk to him instead of killing him (you need the Ring of Whispers equipped) and exhaust his dialogue. Summon him to help you kill the area boss later on. Bring another summon friend too if needed but having him to tank is probably good enough. Kill her and then go back and talk to the Manscorpion. Learn his gesture and get his Fragrant Branch of Yore. Use it on the Lion located near the 2 giant, stone guard towers located near the boss fog door. Behind him is a chest with Lion's Mage armor and it all increases your cast speed. Wear everything but the Hood (keep using Hexer's Hood). As soon as you acquire another Bonfire Ascetic return to this zone and kill the boss again. It's incredibly easy to simply run to her door, summon 2 people and kill her. There's absolutely no need to re-clear the area immediately. She'll drop a +3 spell attunement slot ring. It's absurd.

Congratulations, your gear is now insane.

6) Eventually you'll do the Brightstone Cove Tseldora area. This area is worth using at least 2 Bonfire Ascetics on at some point (even if it's later on). You can trade the additional boss soul acquired in NG+ at Straid for 2 very important items; Crystal Soul Spear and Moonlight Greatsword. The Sword requires 18 Strength and 18 Dexterity but that's manageable in the later stages of the game. It scales off of Int and can be enchanted with Magic to further the scaling. You'll still need your Fire Longsword for enemies resistant to magic but in general it just 1-2 shots things which is sweet. Otherwise just get a ton of copies of Crystal Soul Spear. The spell is amazing in both PvP and PvE. Truth be told the MLGS isn't needed, but it's sweet. Having a melee weapon that isn't embarrassing to use is never a bad thing to have. That being said having 4-5 copies of CSS wouldn't be bad either. Either way I farmed both with Ascetics and still easily beat the area when I went to NG+ (the area was NG++++ at that point). It's not a big deal.

7) Aldia's Keep has a spell called Soul Geyser located in an acid pit near the second bonfire which is hidden in the wall on the stairs directly above them. The area is small; you won't miss it. This spell is insane. Either get 64 int or use Simpleton's Spice on it (talk to the merchant at the beginning of Iron Keep to do so) if needed. I killed the area boss of this zone in 2 hits with it. No joke. I then Bonfire Ascetic'd the area, got another Soul Geyser, killed the area boss again (in 3 hits) and then repeated the process one last time. With Hexer's Hood and decent Attunement you now have 9 casts of the spell Soul Geyser. This will trivialize otherwise hard fights such as Ancient Dragon and it also makes farming a breeze since it 1-shots most large enemies. It kills bosses dead and there's no 2 ways about it.
PSN: RAGE_Tich | Pawn: Rita Mortio | Vocation: Sorcerer | Level: 200 | Utilitarian/Challenger

RJKTichondrius
5 years ago#3
8) The best-in-slot Sorcerer Catalyst (Staff of Wisdom) is acquired in Dragon Shrine. Under the first set of stairs is a Pharro's Stone that reveals a chest which yields it. Enchant it with Magic at McDuff's and max that baby out to +5 asap. Your damage will increase by 40% or so if you're still using a +0 Sunset Staff like I was. I suggest farming this area using Soul Geyser since it 1-shots most of the giant stone warriors who give a ton of Souls. The Ancient Dragon is also very easy to kill with Soul Geyser. 4-5 casts should do it. You could very easily kill the Dragon on your first try if you run behind it, Soul Geyser until he aggros, Soul Geyser some more and kill him before he takes off. It's literally that easy if his opening attack is a fire breath.

9) The general boss killing strategy involves holding block and strafing sideways to the right while remaining target-locked with your adversary. Most bosses do some 1-3 hit combo in front of them that you can block/strafe/roll away from at which point you can retaliate with ONE spell. Don't get greedy and try for 2; it's almost never safe. Release block to recover Stamina but immediately press and hold it again once your bar is refilled. Because you take no chip damage you can basically fight indefinitely and just wait for perfect spots to get damage in. It might be slow going at first but it's safe, effective and easy. Feel free to spend a minute or two observing attack patterns if needed. As long as you remain target-locked, strafe to the right and hold block most bosses can't really hurt you. Be sure to develop a rhythm for releasing block to recover stamina in between attacks because it will serve you for many fights to come. Remember, ONE spell! ONE!

10) Be prepared to suck early on. Here's reality; that Fire Longword is way stronger and safer than your spells. A melee char with real armor and plenty of Strength will clear the early areas faster and safer than you. It takes a long time to acquire good spells such as Great Heavy Soul Arrow and at no point in the game can you take more than 2 hits without dying. You will feel like your character sucks because he/she probably does. Sorcery feels cool when you start 3 shotting bosses with Soul Geyser and the Skeleton Lords ring + Great Heavy Soul Arrow is good damage but that all happens much later in the game. All I'm saying here is that there's a light at the end of the tunnel and things do start get better once you figure the role out. Tough it out because things do drastically improve over time.

Bonfire Ascetic Locations:
You can purchase one from Chloanne for 7500 souls near the Poison Pool Bonfire in Earthen Peak or later when she moves to Majula.
One can be found in Iron Keep. At the first bonfire, cross the bridge and about halfway across, look to the right. Drop down the ledge and run across the flaming rocks. The item will be laying upon the last rock.
You can find one in the Lost Bastile. Before the bridge that leads you to the Sinner's Rise Bonfire you will find yourself in a room with a torture cage. If you get in the cage you will travel down to another room. During the way to the down level, you will see the Bonfire Acetic nearby a undead corpse. Just get in the cage again to raise to upper level and jump to get the item.
In Aldia's Keep pull the lever in the hallway right after the dragon skeleton, then go to the hall across the room where there is a merchant who sells 10 of them.
One can be found above Brightstone Cove Church next to Cromwell the Pardoner.
Darkdiver Grandahl sells 10 of them for 7,500 each if you are a member of the Pilgrim of the Dark covenant. Speak with him in all 3 of his spawn locations in order to join.

User Info: Irukichan

Irukichan
5 years ago#4
This seems like a really well thought out guide! I'm about to make my first sorcerer ever and I already feel better prepared.

RJKTichondrius
5 years ago#5
I basically wanted to type all of things that I wish I knew going in.

User Info: Limelol

Limelol
5 years ago#6
Seems like a really helpful guide. Surprised that you didn't hint where to get all the Ascetics from easily as I'm sure people are going to be wondering that.
PSN: Limelol-

RJKTichondrius
5 years ago#7
Limelol posted...
Seems like a really helpful guide. Surprised that you didn't hint where to get all the Ascetics from easily as I'm sure people are going to be wondering that.

Done :3.

User Info: Snazzy21

Snazzy21
5 years ago#8
Nice little guide, Bump and how do i request sticky?
3DS Friend code 4613-7498-1738

User Info: Mystery_Mission

Mystery_Mission
5 years ago#9
Sticky requested. Awesome guide.

User Info: The_3rd_Oracle

The_3rd_Oracle
5 years ago#10
Tag for later.

Great job on this. :)
3DS Friend Code: 2793-0612-4959
Safari: Eevee, Lillipup, Audino