• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series
  3. Just completed my first ever playthrough..

User Info: Swirlz

Swirlz
6 years ago#11
I was pretty much point for point with your decisions so far, more so with the reasoning behind them.
I didn't like Luke's group much either at first, it's hard adjusting to new people, especially after losing so many in the past. Didn't help that they threw Clem into a shed and left her there.

In all honesty I never had interest in the series before. I always thought it was overrated and that there was no way this type of game could prove to be fun. But I tried it, and instantly fell in love with it. Easily one of my favorite games out there. As I've played more and more video games over the years, I turned a 180 from caring mostly about gameplay, and less about story, to vice-versa. Some of my favorite games are just that because of the story and emotion they hold, more than because "look at the pretty colors when you use 'x' move".
Jingle. Dem. KEYS.

User Info: Jerrynsteph4eva

Jerrynsteph4eva
6 years ago#12
So...I beat it. Was trying to take it slow but man, I couldn't put it down. And yeah, I see what you mean wondering how Season 3 will go.

I felt this Season had a lot better choices, though many of them felt like they'd go sour either way. I mean, I felt SO bad when I cut off Sarita's arm, only to watch her get devoured by walkers cause she won't stop screaming. Even though Kenny hated me for that, I still sided with him for pretty much the rest of the game. And when AJ was born, I knew deep down he was reminiscing on Duck and would back him up further.

I ended up letting Arvo go, even though in my gut (and from 400 days) that I shouldn't have. But it didn't feel right robbing him, even though it came back to haunt me later (even though I told him we didn't rob him, he still started a war). And I backed Kenny's treatment of him until he started clobbering him to death. I felt like that was way overboard, considering that's how he lost his eye in the first place. But still, I agreed we had to go north with him, just because I was still hoping deep down to find Christa there. It still killed me to leave Mike behind though (not so much Bonnie cause of the whole 'turn you into Carver' thing).

The whole dream sequence shocked me though. I was like "they're not REALLY pulling a Dallas are they? Retconning the entire season and half of last season out?". But when she woke up in the truck, I was kind of relieved.

The ending I got felt so terrible. I defended Kenny long enough but also sided with Jane a lot too. When they started fighting, I kept trying to get between them and rip them apart. When Kenny pinned Jane, I didn't know what to do but ended up shooting Kenny thinking I could just stun him and get him off of her. But when he ended up dying, I felt so horrible, especially when he confessed he was scared. It was even worse when I heard AJ crying and found out his death was for nothing. It made me kinda mad honestly and I left Jane there by herself.

One thing that disappointed me were the fates of Christa and Lilly. Honestly, after seeing Kenny pop up, I figured I'd see either one of these two as well whether we just found out they got killed by walkers or are peacefully living at some camp. Hopefully in season 3 they'll explain that. (I know Lilly presumably dies if you leave her in Season 1 but I chose not to).

Also, the whole 400 days thing wasn't nearly as influential as I thought. Bonnie seemed like the only one who mattered and the rest were reserved to one liners.

But man, the game was so incredible though. The choices seem to matter more, like whether Nick and Alvin die in Episode 2, etc and I can't wait to go back and replay this one again to see some of the choices I missed out on. Great game series though. Did I continue to match up with your choices?

Swirlz
6 years ago#13
I believe cutting off Sarita's arm was the first decision I thought twice about. I knew the moment I chose to do so, Kenny was going to hate me for it. I also knew at that point, she would either die slowly, or die quickly, neither of which helped the group out.

I actually ended up robbing Arvo. I looked at it this way -- we have a group, you have a group. Not everybody is going to make it, but one thing I do know, is I have to look out for my group. Sorry about your sister Arvo, but in this type of situation, I'm looking out for my own people, and if that means doing wrong in order to do right for our group, then so be it. The beating Kenny repeatedly gave him definitely wasn't right, tensions are high, but taking out your frustrations on the kid wasn't helping anything.

When I saw that dream sequence, for but a moment, I was thinking "Oh God, please tell me that's not how you're doing this.." and I was relieved when Clem woke up and, despite waking up in.. less-than-perfect circumstances, it was a step forward. I couldn't care less about Bonnie at that point, she had betrayed us twice now. As for Mike, the moment a member of your group is willing to step on you, they're not worth it in my books, so I let go of what friendship we had began.

The ending. Oh boy. It was full of emotion, tension, anxiety -- you name it. I'll say up front that I ended up letting Kenny kill Jane, and I also ended up staying with him at the end, as opposed to staying at Wellington with AJ.
I grew close to Kenny in Season 1, I felt that despite his stubbornness at times, and his react-don't-think type of thought, I knew he was a good guy. In Season 2, he had definitely changed, but not really at the same time. He became a man who has experience, who lost, who suffered, who needed something good in his life to fill the void. I believe Clem and AJ do that for him.

I was liking Jane at first, knowing that it really is hard to lose somebody you love, and then living on your own for so long, only to meet people and have to put yourself into others' lives again. But when she left us all, it felt like betrayal. She did what Kenny said to her when we're all in the truck arguing. "Running away again!? What a [surprise?]!" People don't change in that sense. They grow and they learn but the type of person they are? They stay the same. I said earlier Kenny changed, and he did, but not who he is, but rather, how he saw things, through what he had experienced. Just this time around he's a lot tougher and more violent. Not too surprising in a world overrun by zombies.

If you haven't seen the other endings, I suggest you watch them. I didn't even choose this ending because "Oh yay, it's happy-happy". It was more based on what Clem would want, and how she would respond in the situations. I truly believe she'd stick up for the man who has been there longer than anybody, and who, despite making rash decisions time and time again, really does look out for the group. I also believe she knows herself and AJ make Kenny happy, and that together they'd be better than apart.
I read some posts on different sites about "I chose x because of y reason". One that struck me the most was "If you go with Jane you're doing it for survival, if you go with Kenny you're just doing it because he's from Season 1 and have history." This reasoning is flawed though... people tend to forget Kenny has survived just as long as Jane, and he's done so with a group. He really does know what he's doing, He's just as capable, or more, to survive than Jane is.
Jingle. Dem. KEYS.

Swirlz
6 years ago#14
I still expect to see Lilly again. I don't know why, but since her fate is unknown regardless of your choice in Season 1, nothing can be for certain. Who knows, she could be in Season 3. I also thought we'd find Christa something near the end, but no such luck. Again, an unknown fate for now.

I wish 400 Days had more of an impact on the game, but it was merely a way to make cameo appearances by everybody except, as you mentioned, Bonnie.

The choices definitely mattered more this time around. Outcomes were more influenced I believe, and despite the fact you can't make an entirely different story for every outcome that there is, it felt genuine when you did make the tough calls.
(I had to split this post up, I didn't even realize GFAQs had a limit.)
Jingle. Dem. KEYS.

Jerrynsteph4eva
6 years ago#15
Definitely wished I would have picked saving Kenny. I did watch the other endings and honestly, I'm not sure which is more sad: killing Kenny off or staying at Wellington without him. But yeah I felt like he was an uncle, definitely had some anger issues but who wouldn't after losing everyone you cared most about? Twice for that matter. I felt like he kinda became the new Lee this season in a way. And yeah, justifying staying with Kenny simply because of history is unfair. He might be reckless at times but you're right: he survived and was one of the only members of either group to do so (depending on your choices). Escaping Carver's was brash but worked and his instincts about Wellington were correct. Besides, Jane's idea of survival seems to be "every man for him/herself", which will get her killed sooner or later.

I liked Jane and though she was distant from the group (and mistaking her for Molly at first), she warmed up to me, even though I disliked her always telling me to leave everyone behind and make it on my own. I felt bad for Jaime but at the same time things happen and, like Lee and Leland pushed in Season 1, it's all about trust and if you can't trust people you're not going to get very far. I lost some trust when her and Luke left off to "feel human again" and lost a lot of trust when she walked away but felt like she regained some of it when she came back though I was still wary of her. But testing Kenny and making me kill him as a result infuriated me and I knew I could never trust Jane again, no matter how much she could help me survive. She honestly was out for blood and even though Kenny was too, it was a "heat of the moment" thing with Kenny. Jane was fully aware of her actions and, like you mentioned, when she slashed his gut with the knife, I knew she was everything she was saying about Kenny but worse (since she was cool, collected and well aware of her actions). So I ditched her, knowing she'd be a huge threat to AJ and Clem.

I was kinda suckered into cutting off Sarita's arm. I knew deep down what had happened to Lee but after Reggie's story about it saving his life, I honestly thought slicing her arm off would save her in the end and I thought Kenny would understand in the long run that having Sarita there with only one arm was better than watching her turn. It was brash but it was one of the moments that make the game famous: hurry up and make a tough decision. I guess I just quickened the inevitable.

I also chose to save Sarah in the mobile park too. I knew she was pampered but her dad died pretty much to save her so I didn't want to waste his sacrifice. Besides, I promised to be friends with her and friends stay behind to help each other. But when she became a shutaway and kept relapsing, I knew she would only hinder us (which caused me to save Jane instead of her).

Another person I began to wonder about was Glenn, the guy who ditched the group to find his friends in Episode 1 of the first season. I know Lilly, Glenn and Christa likely didn't make it, but it'd be nice to have closure. But it'd be cool to see Lilly in charge of a new group (could be the new Carver) or simply walk past the remains of Christa or something like that.

Ultimately though, Season 2 was fantastic and I never believed it could top Season 1 but I feel it did. Lots more choices and less of the "no matter what you choose it ends up happening anyway" thing that was prevalent in Season 1. Thanks for sharing your experiences with me too! It was awesome to see your perspective on how things turned out and how our choices made for different experiences.

Swirlz
6 years ago#16
Do you plan to replay it at some point? I find myself at two ends -- on the one hand, I love this sweet gem, and it's definitely valuable enough for many replays. Then, on the other hand, I have this feeling where, if I were to replay a game like this just to choose things differently, I'd be lying to the game and to myself, simply because the answers I choose wouldn't be real. I know it sounds kind of silly, but I like to stay true with myself in games, just like I do as a person. To backtrack and change things that happened would be sort of a 'lie' I guess?

I don't know, I just like to think that my entire playthrough from Season 1 and Season 2 is 'my' story with the entire gang that we've met up with. And by having that single file, the next season can continue from that, and that alone.

I assume you plan to play Season 3 upon its release. Any predictions on how long a series like this will go on for? Will Season 3 be it? Or do you see a future even beyond that? (I realize without knowing anything about Season 3 it's hard to answer, just throwing things around is all).
Jingle. Dem. KEYS.

Jerrynsteph4eva
6 years ago#17
Yes, I'm in the middle of replaying it now. I've already rebeat Season 1 as well. The first experience with the game is the most magical though and you're right, there are a lot of decisions I'm making either to see the opposite reaction or to set myself up for a late game choice. But it's still fun and seeing some people's reactions are priceless (like watching Kenny punch Larry in the drug store, only to get decked and sent to the floor or seeing Carlos' reaction when I teach Sarah to use a gun). Besides, that's why you have three save files right? True, a bit of the magic is lost when you know what's around the corner (and that choices aren't as impactful as you're led to believe) but it's still a blast and still worth seeing the options you missed out on. And I always use Save 1 as my important "real" save file, ignoring the others.

As far as Season 3, I'm pretty certain that the game series will go on as long as it keeps selling like it has. Probably won't let up till Season 5 or 6 likely (unless there's some crazy drop in the storytelling that makes people want to avoid it). Do you think Season 3 will end it?

Which was your favorite episode of the series? Or do you have one? For me, I dunno why but Season 1 Episode 2 and Season 2 Episode 2 were amongst my favorites (even though they were all exceptional).

Swirlz
6 years ago#18
I understand what you mean. Keep your #1 as your true self, and the rest simply as "what if..?" I'll probably end up doing it, I know I will -- Since the game is relatively short, and it's easy to get lost in it, on top of all the different dialogue you can have depending on choices -- yeah, I'm convinced to do it again, haha.

It's definitely about sales, and with how well its doing, I can see a season or two more after #3. As long as they can continue to do such excellent work with their story, with the characters (having ones you love, ones you hate), I will continue to support it. It's just nerve wrecking sometimes, since it takes a lot of work to keep something like a video game, television show, movie, etc going and keep it successful. But they know what they're doing, which gives me some relief.

I'd have to honestly agree with you in terms of favorites. Thinking back through them all, S1E2 was one hell of a twist, and had a lot of panic in it. Some really messed up stuff, and a lot of tension within the group between our 'leaders'. In terms of Season 2, episode 2 wins just because Kenny returns. I was never so excited or thrilled in my life over a game until that moment. Since he's one of my favorite characters in the series, I was beyond happy. It was quite a surprise, and by that time I had forgotten the part in Season 1, where, when asked what happened to Kenny, you're given an option that says something like "He could have gotten away". And since we didn't see him get caught by the walkers... ahh the pieces fit together. S2E3 also stands out for me. When Carver is finally killed, there's just a very... odd feel. Kenny goes berserk of course, and it's the first time he was ever so violent with a human (on screen). Not saying Carver didn't deserve it -- he acted like an authority figure when giving his speeches, but he was just a terrible human being with no remorse for anything or anybody. Then there's the end of the episode, where you're left with a cliffhanger, and it's in the heat of the moment. Ohhh I couldn't wait for Episode 4 after that.
Jingle. Dem. KEYS.
  1. Boards
  2. The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series
  3. Just completed my first ever playthrough..
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A

Can I move saves? Main Quest1 Answer