• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
  3. FML: had 9 lives, got teleported to a devil room from a Curse room

User Info: C_Clop

C_Clop
3 years ago#1
This is so frustrating.
Had a perfectly good run going on, and saw a Curse room with only a spirit heart left but still had 9 lives. I figured, I'll go in then bomb myself in it to get out or fiddle with the door to die inside it.
2 red chests, and the first one sends me to the devil room with Krampus. Kill him, get back in curse room, and try to get out.
Died, then respawned in the devil room. Then dying in devil room sends me back to the curse room.

f***.

Suicided a bunch of times in different scenarios, but I was never able to get out.
Even when taking a swing at the curse door, I was still dying while inside the curse room.
Only on my last life, I was weirdly able to get out while getting hit for the last time (the "last will" displayed while I was outside the curse room). No idea why.

Is there anything you can do in that situation to get out?

It ended (in theory) a 21 Eden Hard streak, so I was pretty pissed. (I'm saying in theory because I pressed Esc as I lost my last life to exit to main menu and keep my streak).
PS4? Yeah sure, I'll get one when I'm done with the 72 games in my backlog.

User Info: matty397

matty397
3 years ago#2
You need to get a running start in the Curse Room. Run for the spikes and attempt to exit. If it goes right, you'll be in the adjacent room when you die and respawn in the Curse Room. From there, kill yourself without leaving the room, whether through bombs or slowly walking to the door. Due to the game thinking you left the Curse Room when you died the first time, you'll respawn in the adjacent room.

C_Clop
3 years ago#3
You know what, that's exactly what happened on my last life. I have about 450 hrs logged in Rebirth, and to this day I had no clue that speed had an impact when exiting a curse room. I'm speechless, not because this solution is surprising, but because I can't believe I didn't try in any of my 9 lives to run at full speed towards the door.

I never suspected speed had anything to do with it. If only I didn't waste about 3 lives while dying inside the devil room, just to try different things... Turns out my last attempt was the right one...

I kept on thinking "why am I not dying outside the curse room as usual?"
This situation happened a couple of times before, but it was the first time I was dying inside the curse room...

Thanks for the clarification matty!

User Info: matty397

matty397
3 years ago#4
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if this was added due to how Devil Room teleports were changed. In the original, leaving the Devil Room after teleporting to it would take you to the spawn room. Here, you just go back to the last room you were in. If the game didn't let you leave by running at full speed, you'd be stuck in a loop between the Devil and Curse Rooms. Still, it stinks that you have to lose two lives, but it's better than ending your run.

C_Clop
3 years ago#5
Yeah, the whole speed thing really confused me, as I had no idea what I was doing wrong. It's really rare that my speed is so low that I die inside the curse room, especially at the point I was in the game (Womb 2).
I wonder if at minimum speed (like 0.30 maybe), you can't escape the curse room at all?

I would have gladly traded 8 of those lives to be able to get out, because I had a couple of soul hearts scattered around the floor.

I'm continuing my streak anyway since I think that death was unfair and it wasn't because of bad skills, just because of a very intricate gameplay mechanic that shouldn't exist. It wasn't a bad decision either, I knew what I was getting into when entering that curse room, but luck wasn't on my side haha.

Just had a Proptosis start and Quad shot later on, it was pretty great. :-)
  1. Boards
  2. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
  3. FML: had 9 lives, got teleported to a devil room from a Curse room
  • Topic Archived