• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. So what has the Xbox One sold? Part 2

User Info: scabab

scabab
3 days ago#1
There was clearly enough interest in the original topic that I made for their to be this continuation thread.

So to leave where we left off, it was said that Xbox One had sold almost 50 million units worldwide. A bit less than half of the PS4 sales.

The lack of exclusives and at that high quality exclusives being a main reason for it falling so far behind. Now we're getting ready for the new consoles and the gap could widen more as the Xbox has little in the way of momentum behind it.

Continue.

User Info: Bokura

Bokura
3 days ago#2
Playstation was always the more popular console. The Xbox 360 just gained considerable success due to having a year long head start and then the PS3's initial failure.

Once the Playstation got back on track though with the PS4 then everyone went back to it and the Xbox One just fell further and further behind. As long as they don't do anything ridiculous with the PS5 then that will continue.

Xbox hardly has anything for itself. Nintendo has a wealth of large franchises to live on. Playstation has a wide range of exclusives because it has Japanese support so you'll get God of War and Spider-man as well as Persona 5 and FFVII.

Xbox has Halo, Gears of War and Forza and nothing else. It can't match up to it's competitors with just that. Halo peaked over a decade ago now.

User Info: Gotham9843

Gotham9843
3 days ago#3
scabab posted...
There was clearly enough interest in the original topic that I made for their to be this continuation thread.

So to leave where we left off, it was said that Xbox One had sold almost 50 million units worldwide. A bit less than half of the PS4 sales.

The lack of exclusives and at that high quality exclusives being a main reason for it falling so far behind. Now we're getting ready for the new consoles and the gap could widen more as the Xbox has little in the way of momentum behind it.

Continue.

This is some truly next level attention whoring.
Live: Gotham0114
Switch FC: 8425 - 1928 - 6297

User Info: DigitalFury_

DigitalFury_
3 days ago#4
scabab posted...
Xbox has little in the way of momentum behind it.

I think you're wrong there. I think Xbox has a ton of momentum. I don't know if it has less, more or the same amount of momentum and I don't know if it will outsell PS5 (and I don't really care, either), but I think MS has set itself up for an incredibly successful "next gen"

Multiple studio purchases, 100% backward compatibility, GamePass is the best deal in gaming, Xcloud, seamless ecosystem

Also, let's not isolate Xbox from MS Gaming, Xbox is just one part of the gaming division which is making ridiculous amounts of money
Less Xbox, more tackle box
XBL GT: M0NSTERRA1N

scabab
3 days ago#5
Well some of those the PS5 will have. They bought the studios but they haven't announced anything (that I know of) so that's not going to help push people into buying the console from the start.

These two consoles are going to be very much the same thing, there's not much in it and most games that come to one will come to the other. The main reasons to pick one over the other is the price and the games that will be exclusive to that console.

Xbox One has been very weak in this regard where PS4 has been very strong.

At this rate why get an Xbox 4 when you can't be confident in that changing whereas you can be with PS5? One of it's biggest exclusives even got cancelled. That is what will push the PS5 ahead because it's all but guaranteed to have it good there once again.

Xbox 4 needs to come out with their Spider-man and their God of War but it just doesn't happen. It's always about Halo and Gears.

User Info: The_Hedon

The_Hedon
3 days ago#6
In March of 2018, the Xbox One was at just about 40 million sold according to trusted IHS:

https://wccftech.com/xbox-one-39-1m-units-estimated/

So it's been a little over a year and a half since that report, so that would put the estimates at 50 million sold (inline with Brad Sams claim), before this holiday. That is a 6 year time frame, so about 8.33 million per year on average.

It took the Xbox 360 10 years to sell 86 million. So with 4 more years left of Xbox One sales still, and price drops starting this black Friday (and Scarlett coming out next year), I suspect it will end the generation at about 70 million. But we will never know the final numbers.

Microsoft however has not revealed the sales of Xbox hardware, as they haven't reported those numbers for 4 years now. So there will be no answer to this thread, but a lot of fun speculation to read I am sure.

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/xbox-one-sales-1202796674/

Microsoft is the only one that knows how many consoles have been sold.

I have to say, it's crazy to see how the Gen 9 Switch is selling though, which is great news for Xbox 4 and PS5. I see in the current Amazon top 100 right now that the only console is the Switch Lite:

https://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=zg_bs_pg_1?_encoding=UTF8&pg=1
XBL: xHedon PSN: x_Hedon

User Info: lihlih

lihlih
3 days ago#7
50mil is a very high amount of consoles sold. It sold more than the N64, GCN, etc...

It really doesn't matter how much a console sells, as long as it doesn't sell as bad as the Dreamcast(11mil) to kill it off.
People come up to me... concerned.. that I'll reproduce." - Emo Philips

scabab
3 days ago#8
50 million is a huge amount. It's just that it's probably going to end the gen 25 million units down from the Xbox 360.

What I think the problem could be is if the Xbox 4 were to lose another 25 million units.

If the Xbox 4 can outsell the Xbox One then it's not a problem but will it be able too? If it lost that many sales when last gen the PS3 and Xbox 360 were neck and neck then what will happen now that the PS4 is well ahead?

User Info: The_Hedon

The_Hedon
3 days ago#9
lihlih posted...
50mil is a very high amount of consoles sold. It sold more than the N64, GCN, etc...

It really doesn't matter how much a console sells, as long as it doesn't sell as bad as the Dreamcast(11mil) to kill it off.
You are correct. And with Xbox One ending this 8th gen in 2nd place at 70 million sold (beating out the Wii U), I think MS is happy. Let's put this into perspective. They have turned the table and now have added some their trillion+ dollars to good use and have the entire PC gaming market in their hands as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows

Add all their Microsoft Windows PC gaming devices, plus the Xbox 4, and then all the devices they will stream Xbox Game Studio games to, they literally have billions of people touching or using their product. Scary actually.

And now with what, 15 game studios (Sony only has 14)

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-studios

And they want to have more studios, it's clear that Microsoft and Xbox are in this for the long haul. This truly is great news for gamers around the world.
XBL: xHedon PSN: x_Hedon

User Info: sillyrascal

sillyrascal
3 days ago#10
72 million

Plus 5 billion when Xcloud hits
The Child Catcher from Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang of Gamefaqs. Come children. Come and get your lollipops. And alllllfreeeeetodayyyyy
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. So what has the Xbox One sold? Part 2
  • Post New Message