• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Help Xbox One X keeps dropping internet...

User Info: Cheko2015

Cheko2015
1 month ago#1
My 1st Xbox One X did this too and it was annoying as hell. But while it did it randomly, there would be times it wouldnt do it all. And I could normally fix the issue by doing a hard reset of the console and/or resetting the router. Well I lost my first Xbox One X in a hurricane and rebought a 2nd one.

Ive had the 2nd one for about a month now, no issues with connection. Now all the sudden the connection issues I had before are back tenfold. But no matter what I do, I can't stay connected. I've done full power downs and restarts of the console along with complete resets of the modem/router. All these steps do is buy me about 5-10 min of connection time before the system inevitably loses connections. I have restarted my xbox like 5 times tonight and have resetted my router twice. I'm just fed up with it.

Google searches just reveal others who are in this frustrating predicament with no real solution to fix it or even make it better.

User Info: Boogie_WoogieWu

Boogie_WoogieWu
1 month ago#2
Wired or wireless?

If wired, how long is the Ethernet cable?

If wireless, how far from the router, and are you using a 2.4ghz (b, g, n) or 5ghz (a, n, ac) band?

ISP?

Gateway or modem with a separate router?

Networking equipment provided by your ISP or equipment you bought on your own?

Any other consoles on your network, especially other consoles in the Xbox family?

Have you been playing around with port forwarding at all?

User Info: huerito323

huerito323
1 month ago#3
I never had issues and I have 2 X consoles.

Cheko2015
1 month ago#4
Boogie_WoogieWu posted...
Wired or wireless?

If wired, how long is the Ethernet cable?

If wireless, how far from the router, and are you using a 2.4ghz (b, g, n) or 5ghz (a, n, ac) band?

ISP?

Gateway or modem with a separate router?

Networking equipment provided by your ISP or equipment you bought on your own?

Any other consoles on your network, especially other consoles in the Xbox family?

Have you been playing around with port forwarding at all?

Router is in the next room. It is wireless and has a modem/router all in one from comcast. Equipment is from Comcast. There is my friend's PS4 on the network but these issues persist regardless if he is using it. I am not sure on the GHz, I am presuming 2.4 ghz.

If I can level with yall, my living situation is a bit unique right now. A hurricane destroyed my apartment and I am temporarily bunking with a friend while I look for a new place. So I am not 100% how he has his internet set up.

User Info: JGA1980

JGA1980
1 month ago#5
Cheko2015 posted...
My 1st Xbox One X did this too and it was annoying as hell. But while it did it randomly, there would be times it wouldnt do it all. And I could normally fix the issue by doing a hard reset of the console and/or resetting the router. Well I lost my first Xbox One X in a hurricane and rebought a 2nd one.

Cheko2015 posted...

If I can level with yall, my living situation is a bit unique right now. A hurricane destroyed my apartment and I am temporarily bunking with a friend while I look for a new place. So I am not 100% how he has his internet set up.

So this is a different living situation (and internet connection) to what you had with your first Xbox One X, which also had the problem of losing internet connectivity?

If so, it means the same problem is persisting across two different Xbox One X consoles and two different networks, which points to it possibly being a problem with the way you configure your console to connect to the internet (which could have been saved at a profile level and imported across to your new console).

User Info: ab2c4

ab2c4
1 month ago#6
I had this exact problem when I moved, we had to get Comcast internet for the first time and used their equipment. If you are going to continue to use the Comcast provided modem/router you have to go into that Comcast device and either setup port forwarding for your console, or put your console in the DMV in the Comcast modem/router (make sure your hard set you IP address on your Xbox so that you will be able to either add it for port forwarding or DMV).

This was the only way I could get our consoles to work with the Comcast equipment. Both my son and I have Xbox 1 consoles and since the Comcast equipment only allows port forwarding for one device I did the port forwarding for my console and then put his XB1 in the DMV.

Trust me I know how frustrating it can be and it took me two months of researching this issue before I finally figured it out. What added to the frustration is that my ps4 worked perfectly fine with the Comcast hardware. The problem seems to be specific to how MS has the XB1 consoles communicating and how Comcast sets up security on their modem/routers.

User Info: idonliketurtles

idonliketurtles
1 month ago#7
Go into settings > network, do all the different network tests.

Multiplayer test, detailed network test etc. Do you have any % of packet loss? How about NAT? How do the down/up speeds look? Just post all the results for us and we can help you more.

See if you can do a network test during when the internet drops. Just because you have 0% packet loss one moment in time doesn't mean you aren't dropping packets elsewhere that is causing you disconnects. I had a situation similar to this and whenever I ran the test during a disconnect, my packet loss was spiking up to 95%.

What @ab2c4 says is also right, if you go into router settings and set your Xbox's IP into DMZ it will open all your ports and can improve your NAT
Oh yeah, if you haven't set your primary & secondary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 respectively: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

User Info: PUERTOxROCK

PUERTOxROCK
1 month ago#8
Rule number one...always game on a wired connection if you can...

If you must use Wi-Fi...get your own router...ISP routers are trash...

Get yourself a good Netgear or Asus router...

The Nighthawk XR500 is a beast and wipes the floor with any ISP router...it was my previous router and I had zero issues...NAT was always open...ping/latency super low...and with the built in Geo-filter you can blacklist distant servers and only connect to servers within the predefined radius that you pick (try that with an ISP router...you can't)

I recently picked up the Asus ROG Rapture AX11000....another kick-ass router that handles all my gaming and doesn't even blink (3 consoles, gaming PC, 4 smart TVs, tablets, laptops, Hue lights, etc.)

Cheko2015
1 month ago#9
ab2c4 posted...
I had this exact problem when I moved, we had to get Comcast internet for the first time and used their equipment. If you are going to continue to use the Comcast provided modem/router you have to go into that Comcast device and either setup port forwarding for your console, or put your console in the DMV in the Comcast modem/router (make sure your hard set you IP address on your Xbox so that you will be able to either add it for port forwarding or DMV).

This was the only way I could get our consoles to work with the Comcast equipment. Both my son and I have Xbox 1 consoles and since the Comcast equipment only allows port forwarding for one device I did the port forwarding for my console and then put his XB1 in the DMV.

Trust me I know how frustrating it can be and it took me two months of researching this issue before I finally figured it out. What added to the frustration is that my ps4 worked perfectly fine with the Comcast hardware. The problem seems to be specific to how MS has the XB1 consoles communicating and how Comcast sets up security on their modem/routers.

I think this is what is going on. My first xbox and my old apartment used the same Comcast hardware too. I looked it up back then and found saw something that indicated this was the issue. I should be hopefully moving again within the next month. If we get comcast again at that place, Ill investigate into the issue further using the advice you gave. Thanks.

Cheko2015
1 month ago#10
PUERTOxROCK posted...
Rule number one...always game on a wired connection if you can...

If you must use Wi-Fi...get your own router...ISP routers are trash...

Get yourself a good Netgear or Asus router...

The Nighthawk XR500 is a beast and wipes the floor with any ISP router...it was my previous router and I had zero issues...NAT was always open...ping/latency super low...and with the built in Geo-filter you can blacklist distant servers and only connect to servers within the predefined radius that you pick (try that with an ISP router...you can't)

I recently picked up the Asus ROG Rapture AX11000....another kick-ass router that handles all my gaming and doesn't even blink (3 consoles, gaming PC, 4 smart TVs, tablets, laptops, Hue lights, etc.)

Ill explore all this when I get a new place. I heard good things about those brands though. Just when you lose your housing due to natural disaster, good routers and wired connection become a lower priority lol.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Help Xbox One X keeps dropping internet...
  • Topic Archived