You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Asymmetrical vs symmetrical analogue placement?

User Info: satm

satm
1 week ago#1
Asymmetrical vs symmetrical analogue placement?

Given that this is a Xbox board there may be bias but what do you prefer? I recently bought the Hori Onyx wireless controller for PS4, it's basically a xbox style controller with asymmetrical sticks. I could not get used to the Symmetrical style that Dualshocks use (as I came from Xbox 360).

I think that the Xbox style is more comfortable, because many modern games use the left analog as primary function of movement, the dpad is a secondary use nowadays. It gives too much pressure to the thumbs almost claw like when using Dualshock 4.

I definitely prefer the games on PS4 however, it's just the Dualshock 4 that I don't enjoy. Especially that annoying lightbar.

User Info: Tourn46

Tourn46
1 week ago#2
I own both so it doesn't matter that this is on the Xbox board.

I prefer the Xbox controller without doubt, however, there's nothing wrong with the DS4.
GT/PSN: Tourn46
"Ha ha ha! You're getting my Goron blood pumping!"

User Info: da_StoOge

da_StoOge
1 week ago#3
Asymmetrical makes more sense, but pressing L3 on my DS4 is easier thanks to its incorrect stick layout.

I can really use either though.
"Even though I'm no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?"

User Info: pjnelson

pjnelson
1 week ago#4
Fact:
Nobody should ever have to reach to the bottom center of a controller for the left stick. You use the left stick more than anything else on the entire controller. The bottom center is where you drop secondary stuff.
I'm not here for friends. I'm here for the truth to the best of my knowledge of it, even if it's not what people want to hear.

User Info: INKU48

INKU48
1 week ago#5
I feel people make too big of a deal of it. There are garbage controllers with symmetrical sticks like the Dualshock 3 but there are also controllers with symmetrical sticks that feel fine like the Wii U Pro Controller and Dualshock 4. The symmetry is not the problem. In general I don't think about the controller at all while playing since most controllers are just fine.

pjnelson posted...
Nobody should ever have to reach to the bottom center of a controller for the left stick.

My thumb rests comfortably on the DS4's left stick without "reaching".
Big fan of video games.
(edited 1 week ago)
(message deleted)

User Info: AltiarLio

AltiarLio
1 week ago#7
The asymmetrical has been proven to be these for your hands. Anyone who prefers the opposite just hates themselves lol
GT & Steam: Tyron3L1o. PSN: TyroneLio.
I enjoy video games and shoes, mainly shoes.

User Info: da_StoOge

da_StoOge
1 week ago#8
INKU48 posted...
I feel people make too big of a deal of it. There are garbage controllers with symmetrical sticks like the Dualshock 3 but there are also controllers with symmetrical sticks that feel fine like the Wii U Pro Controller and Dualshock 4. The symmetry is not the problem. In general I don't think about the controller at all while playing since most controllers are just fine.

pjnelson posted...
Nobody should ever have to reach to the bottom center of a controller for the left stick.

My thumb rests comfortably on the DS4's left stick without "reaching".

Everyone's does.

But in most games you pres the left stick forward and hold it there while most games you flick the right stick left and right. Different functions for each stick and the asymmetric position if the left stick is a more natural position for it.

And Sony agreed when they decided to place their main in put in the exact same spot when they created the original PS1 controller. The stick placement was a reaction to the N64 design and the d-pad was the primary input all gen. the sticks even had to be turned on in most games and only one or two games needed them.

They simply kept the dualshock design for so long that they've kept it out of tradition nowadays, but every other modern controller has used the asymmetrical design.
"Even though I'm no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?"

User Info: BadAlchemist

BadAlchemist
1 week ago#9
I actually take back what I've said earlier.

The DS4 isn't bad, and the LS is in a manageable position.
My only complaint is for games that barely use the D-pad, it feels like a large gap between the LS and LT.

But I still overall prefer the Xbox controller.

User Info: leelee3105

leelee3105
1 week ago#10
wow. even this biased as f*** weeb site can't deny how inferior the DS4 is. Why doesn't Sony just stop being so stubborn already?
GT= ScottTHEscammeR
Thanks to my new friend MrBonestripper, as of 14FEB 2019, I am officially done trolling on gamefaqs
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Asymmetrical vs symmetrical analogue placement?