You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. GREAT GAME - But Hold The Fun

User Info: SigmaLongshot

SigmaLongshot
2 weeks ago#1
I just finished Red Dead Redemption 2. And though I can appreciate the work that went into the game, the phenomenal environment art, writing, choreography etc...

... I felt the game lacked any fun.

Have you guys had any games where you could appreciate all the hard work, the design, the game in general... yet had no actual fun throughout?
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo PS4: Gooey_Toto/SigmaLongshot
http://highteafrog.com/ for more details on High Tea Frog!

User Info: HypnoG

HypnoG
2 weeks ago#2
Described it the same way I feel

User Info: kingvortex

kingvortex
2 weeks ago#3
You weren't having fun, yet still played through a game that takes upwards of 40 hours to finish?

Why would you do that?
Meh

User Info: SigmaLongshot

SigmaLongshot
2 weeks ago#4
kingvortex posted...
You weren't having fun, yet still played through a game that takes upwards of 40 hours to finish?

Why would you do that?

I've got a subset of clinical obsessive-compulsive disorder that makes me unable to abandon tasks without a new task initiated by an outside source that can conclude the one ongoing.

Believe me, it's a pain in the backside.

How about you? Any personal contributions to the thread?
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo PS4: Gooey_Toto/SigmaLongshot
http://highteafrog.com/ for more details on High Tea Frog!
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: Bumbleoni

Bumbleoni
2 weeks ago#5
Bumbleoni posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...
DirkMcGurkin it's cool that you like it, honestly, I'm not going to attack you for liking what you like.

But this weekend, a lead designer pal (now working with another studio, but has worked at Rockstar North) and I talked about the game with me and he was absolutely incensed by the choices for controls in Red Dead Redemption 2 - he went on to mention that, at Rockstar, they effectively don't have any core controls designers (with heavy focus on level designer and writing, instead) and that controls were often an afterthought (and most definitely were on games like the original Red Dead Redemption), with the controls effectively being an "organic result" (basically what you get when nobody outright designs the controls, you whitebox/test the game with the assigned buttons you use, and they just kinda "happen" - resulting in the UI team just creating the graphics afterwards).

His most common gripe, he noted, was that a lot of secondary actions utilise primary buttons, with primary actions requiring up to three button presses/radial holds/simultaneous presses - effectively what we'd call "mismanaged controller real estate".

So it's not "just me" on the developer side with gripes about the controls.

Man, you've had a hate boner for RDR2 ever since it released, and any time someone says anything about it you have to act like the big shot, bringing up all these people who work in the industry who agree with you. It just makes you look pretentious. As for the whole "it's cool if you like it" sentiment you expressed, it clearly isn't, because you do this same thing any time someone mentions RDR2 in a favorable way.

I honestly don't care if you like it or not, but don't pretend it doesn't bother you, when every time someone mentions it you have to swing your big dick developer creds just to validate your opinion

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/77338288?page=18#qp
GT: Bumbleoni
My game clips: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb-f5ZTEaM6bJueyKI9zSNg

User Info: H_H_J_J

H_H_J_J
2 weeks ago#6
SigmaLongshot posted...
I just finished Red Dead Redemption 2. And though I can appreciate the work that went into the game, the phenomenal environment art, writing, choreography etc...

... I felt the game lacked any fun.

Have you guys had any games where you could appreciate all the hard work, the design, the game in general... yet had no actual fun throughout?

I think the real question is, should fun be the only merits that you judge a game on?

You're saying you appreciate aspects of the game, but it lacked fun. Which suggests that you believe that fun is inherently what makes a good game.

Would you say Schindler's List is a fun movie? Probably not. Does that make it a bad movie though?

And if "fun" is the defining merit for games, is that part of why so many people have problems accepting games as art? Or really as a mature medium?

User Info: kingvortex

kingvortex
2 weeks ago#7
SigmaLongshot posted...
How about you?

If I'm not having fun, I stop playing. I don't care if I paid £50 or £5. The point of gaming for me is entertainment.

Below looked like the sort of thing I would normally like. I was excited for its release after all the delays. I played it and was like
https://media.giphy.com/media/v0eHX3n28wvoQ/giphy.gif

I still liked the art style etc, but it just wasn't very good.
Meh

User Info: Reflex-Arc

Reflex-Arc
2 weeks ago#8
I played through it for the experience and I'm glad I did. RDR2 is an absolute masterpiece. A technical marvel, and a showcase of what's possible when talent and countless millions of dollars and man hours are thrown at a game with an almost OCD level of attention to detail. It was beautiful. It was well written and the voice acting was superbly performed...

...I just can't honestly say it's as fun as a lot of other games I've played that weren't so rooted in mundane realism.

The game really felt like a slog for most of the time. I never felt like I wanted to play because I wanted to play. I just wanted it to end. It did, finally, and I was satisfied.

I'm super glad I played it. I have no regrets paying full price for it. I don't even feel like it was time wasted. I likely wont be playing it again, it wasnt fun, but I do fully respect the game for the sum of its parts.
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | Sound Card | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard

User Info: Reverted_Pikkon

Reverted_Pikkon
2 weeks ago#9
It's absolutely THE most impressive game I've ever played.

Also, one of the most boring.

User Info: batman404

batman404
2 weeks ago#10
kingvortex posted...
If I'm not having fun, I stop playing. The point of gaming for me is entertainment.

This, people that play games they don't enjoy baffle me.

-

Also, I enjoyed the hell out of RDR2. I don't feel like they "held the fun" at all. To each their own though.
Are you there God? It's me, Margaret.
(edited 2 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. GREAT GAME - But Hold The Fun