• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. How long until people don't need physical games

User Info: Gunvalkyrie2

Gunvalkyrie2
2 months ago#1
Seems like a major stumbling block for digital is the fact people think the online service could disappear along with all of their games… How long do you think the services need to be around before people have 100% confidence in that not happening?
#BanBlobboyendings

User Info: sillyrascal

sillyrascal
2 months ago#2
Gunvalkyrie2 posted...
Seems like a major stumbling block for digital is the fact people think the online service could disappear along with all of their games… How long do you think the services need to be around before people have 100% confidence in that not happening?

They wont have a choice. Theres only 2 consoles left with disc drives. As soon as the optional discless console drops (soon) it wont be too long until the disc one is harder to find. Then it wont be found at all. It will be managed out of existance
The PSY of gamefaqs
Care to ...dance?

User Info: TheBendy

TheBendy
2 months ago#3
I own zero physical games for my Xbox One. The only one I ever bought was Rock Band 4 Band-in-a-box bundle. I wound up selling the physical game sealed, and bought it digitally. I don’t sell my games, and digital sharing is awesome, IMO.
Think before you ink!

User Info: Snowtrpr

Snowtrpr
2 months ago#4
Gunvalkyrie2 posted...
people think the online service could disappear along with all of their games

The likelihood of this is so low. It'd only happen if the company went bust or hated their consumers and wanted to destroy their sales.

We will pretty much have persistent backwards compatibility and/or some sort of digital trade in for online store credit scheme. Since every decent game these days is remastered we will probably have better versions of most games to buy later anyway.

User Info: EnemyWithin88

EnemyWithin88
2 months ago#5
No one needs any games
Play Slow Die Ignorant

User Info: crucial

crucial
2 months ago#6
Once digital sales reach 70-80% is when you will see physical being phased out...my guess after next gen so around 10 more year's...
Sony gonna have to sell there butt's soon the way they are losing money.

User Info: The-Apostle

The-Apostle
2 months ago#7
I had a game digital disappear on me for a week (got it back today). I like having disks as a backup.
http://goo.gl/mnO36O
#GoPackGo Not changing sig until NHL players are allowed to play in the Olympics. Started 2/22/2018

User Info: GinsuVictim

GinsuVictim
2 months ago#8
I only buy games digitally now unless I come across a deal too good to pass up. I own a handful of physical X1 titles, which hopefully I'll get to trade for digital if the rumor is true.
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)

User Info: genesis145

genesis145
2 months ago#9
Well considering I don't want to have to buy a 4k player I hope they never stop making disc drives on consoles. Even if I ended up not buying physical for some reason I'll always buy DVD because digital movies suck absolute balls. And I like all my media options being on one device. I don't want to have to hook up separate devices for gaming, movies etc. TV only come with so many HDMI slots (I think the most common is 3) and if you have 2 consoles you're already down 2 ports if you have all 3 you will be unplugging stuff for everything over and over again if you have to throw a DVD player in the mix. Don't forget having to set up your stereo system and those tend to have even less ports most only have 1 I think and passing the audio through your TV can cause lag if the tv isn't amazing.

User Info: McCartneyMartin

McCartneyMartin
2 months ago#10
Its already happening. Walk into your local Best Buy. Its empty. They don't have much of a "physical" section.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. How long until people don't need physical games
  • Topic Archived